Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Spreadsheet: copy to clipboard: includes carriage return
Spreadsheet: copy to clipboard: includes carriage return

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
altoidboy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Spreadsheet: copy to clipboard: includes carriage return

I'm using NeoOffice 2.1p5 on an Intel Mac.

Every time I'm working in the spreadsheet module, I select a cell, then copy to clipboard, I find that what is copied to the clipboard includes the contents of the cell followed by a carriage return.

This carriage return is confusing the destination application in which I'm pasting the contents of the cell.

Is there some way to suppress this? Or strip the carriage return off the clipboard? (Quickly and easily.)
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject:

I don't get the extra return in viewing clipboard text; I get an extra carriage return if viewed in TextEdit using specific key commands; I do not get an extra carriage return if viewed in TextEdit using other key commands as outlined below:

FYI: to view clipboard content: Select text, Copy (Command-C) then go to Finder -> Edit -> Show Clipboard - (but you can't edit this)

If you paste into TextEdit; I believe the carriage return is caused by a standard built in code for cocoa apps which causes the insertions of "smart" punctuation with "Command-X, C, P" Cut/Copy/Paste key-commands, however if you use the Shift-arrow or Command-shift-arrow or triple-click feature for selections you will get the "simple" C/C/P function and no extra punctuations (spaces or carriage returns)

Does this help?
altoidboy
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject:

Hmmm. Thank you very much for the reply.

I'll try those things you mentioned. I also discovered that if I highlight a cell, but then put the mouse in the edit area (the area at the top that shows the contents of the current cell), then select all and copy, that THIS copy does not include the extra carriage return at the end.

I often write automation utilities that work their way through a spreadsheet, i.e. click on this cell, copy to clipboard, now switch into another application, paste, do other things, then cycle the entire automation script 100 times.

So I can kind of work around it now by selecting the text from the display area instead of from the cell directly. It sure would be nice, though, if copying from a cell did not include a carriage return. I'm pretty sure that Excel and AppleWorks do not include a carriage return when I do the same thing in those programs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:

Here's what I don't get, why somebody from Sun is not assigned to read these forums and then get a grea list of what thngs still don't work on OO_0 vs. M$ stuff and try to make these thngs work correctly... (seriously) Or is this a Neo bug? The usesrs/posters are doing a lot of the bug catching so they could at least try to keep up and try to squash them...
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

If you are so concerned about OOo then you should post your comments on their site; bugs found in NeoOffice by posters that are shown to be OOo bugs are given the direction to post OOo bug on their site:

"Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs is outside that scope.
You can report the feature request in the OpenOffice.org issue tracker to get it on the radar of the core OpenOffice.org developers: http://qa.openoffice.org/issue_handling/pre_submission.html"

This is found in the Bugzilla Guide for NeoOffice:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Bugzilla_Guide

Welcome to big business sickness; the obvious is not obvious.

As for the issue here, extra carriage returns, that is a Mac OS function developed by Apple programmers with certain key-command requests; it is not a NeoOffice Bug. Why they (Apple) changed it has been a topic of conversation online; there are lots of ways to do one thing and what is an advantage to one can be an annoyance to another...but there are ways to work around this - apply your own key-command sequence, but then if you are one to use various computers you have to set-up each computer you use with your selection of key-commands (I move around on computers so I like to learn/use it as it comes "out-of-the-box"; or your develop your own software:
http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_Build_Instructions

Have fun!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject:

Easy Mick...

Mick said:

"If you are so concerned about OOo then you should post your comments on their site; bugs found in NeoOffice by posters that are shown to be OOo bugs are given the direction to post OOo bug on their site:"

So which is it mick, an OO_o bug or an Apple bug?

If I don't have to register at either site, OpenOffice.org or Apple.com forums I'll post a bug report if it makes you feel better...

I'm not so concerned, I don't use or need that function. It just seems that OO_o would make mor of an effort to get as close to M$ Office functionality as possible.

Why does everyone around here go into attack mode so easily lately?...
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Guest wrote:

Stop trolling and treat people giving you free help and advice with respect.

Trolling and insults are not tolerated in the Support forum, we have a ranting forum for that.

Topic locked.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Funny you should say that.
Quote:

1. Maybe it's because you don't respect this site enough to register?
(Yes, I hate registering for each and every site too. So I just pick a few that are important to me)
2. Because certain "guests" keep posting items that are ... inflammatory, or terse, or such.
3. Because some "guests" keep bringing up the same points, Over and OVER again.
After it has been stated that it's Not a NeoOffice problem ( Mac OS X, OOo, other...)
3.1 It's considered ... rude to keep bringing up the same issues.
In America is known as "beating/flogging a dead horse".
4. Or "guests" that post items that boarder on the edge of being ... rude and/or inflammatory.
5. Or posts that challenge the developers, after they have explained their position on an issue/problem.

There are a lot of issues on the fora that IF "I" can't post that enhances the discussion, I keep my mouth shut.

I believe that "guests" have been requested to post with a bit more ... respect for others.
This is a small community. It pays to treat others with respect.

Philip ( My Mother use to say - "If you can't say anything nice, Don't say anything at all" Rolling Eyes )
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

And yes, so you're aware, moderators and council members can post or edit anywhere, even if the topics are locked.

If you're angry random guest from philly, we have a ranting forum dedicated for blowing off steam made just for people like you and me.

ed
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Ed, I did not know that.

I had been editing my response for a while and just assumed that I got it posted just under the wire.
Some times It takes me a while it write, edit, and RE-edit my posts.
I did not know that Mods, and councilmen (and women!), could post to Locked items.

I generally assume that when a post is Locked - that enough had been said and my comments were not necessary. Rolling Eyes

Philip ( Who knows when it's time to shut up. You don't have to tell when it's time. Rolling Eyes
One time I was responding to a topic and I just ... knew it was time. Another time I had to be reminded, maybe a couple of times, then THEN I knew that it was time to shut up. I may be slow but I can take a hint.
This reminds me of a time when it was time and "I" knew it was time but I really REALLY wanted to ..... Embarassed )

\. That's a joke - just for those who "might" miss it! Shocked
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1