· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Add capability to insert MathType objects
Add capability to insert MathType objects

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Add capability to insert MathType objects

NeoOffice is developing nicely, but one major impediment keeps me from really using it: I can't insert MathType objects, like can be done in WORD or APPLEWORKS. Much of my work involves math and having this capability would be a major asset for NeoOffice.
Hopefully, this could be an upcoming improvement.
Thanks,
bh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:20 am    Post subject:

Have you tried dmaths (www.dmaths.org) - a plug-in that works in NeoOffice and OpenOffice
bh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Still would like to use MathType

I've had a look at dMath. It's interesting, but will take me time to get to know it well (don't have much of that). The real issue is that I can't import MathType from the word processor files I've written in Appleworks or Word. I have done a lot of work using MathType. To make the transition to the NeoOffice word processor would require a wholesale rewriting of my work.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

I have thought about this before, but the biggest problem I've run into is that MathType is proprietary. Microsoft licensed it for use in Office, but I have no idea how the two integrate.

Don't get me wrong, MathType is wonderful. Heck, I used it all the time back with FullWrite and love it to death. Do you have any time to dig up details on how it integrates with other applications?

ed
PavelS

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 7:42 am    Post subject: LaTeX math via Linkback and LaTeXiT?

Partially on topic - math typesetting:
Would it be possible to integrate with TeX math typesetting via LinkBack?
It is open source ... and TeX is probably even more popular for typesetting math than MathType, and LaTeXiT is a very nice open source frontend / equation editor.

Integrating with LinkBack would of course bring much more in terms of graphics exchange, but that is another story.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject:

Being an ex-physics geek, I have some friends who frequently use tools that embed TeX within PowerPoint and other documents. You can double-click the layout to edit the TeX and then the plugin will refresh the image layout within Office. I seem to recall someone talking aboiut something similar for OOo, but I really wasn't sure if that was in the context of "I wish I had it" or if it was someone else going "I found this".

For MathType, however, this is the big information:

http://www.dessci.com/en/products/mathtype/faqs.htm#compatible_apps

From that list, the object embedding appears to be available on Windows only. Mac OS X applications that do not have specific integration (e.g. Office v.X) can interact only on an image level. As we support copy/paste of images, you should be able to insert the image-based output of MathType.

Any integration beyond that really has to be done by Design Sciences as there seems to be no supported IAC mechanism beyond image files for MathType on Mac OS X.

If there's anyone who's really interested in this, feel free to try to contact Design Sciences and I can serve as a technical liason.

ed
PaulTopping
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:20 pm    Post subject:

I feel I have to correct some of this mis-information in these posts.

First, MathType and its junior version are much more popular than TeX. We have informally polled scientific journals and MS Word submissions that use MathType or Equation Editor for their equations are over 80% with TeX being the majority of the remaining 20%.

Second, MathType integrates with Mac apps in several ways:

- Cut and paste as a PICT graphic.

- Via file import of GIF, PICT, or EPS.

- Using Microsofts OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) which works only with Microsoft apps and is the same way MathType integrates with many apps on Windows.

- Something called EGO (Edit Graphic Object). This is an extended version of the Apple Event of the same name defined long ago by Apple. The extension was initially created by our competitors, whose product was Expressionist, but has been implemented in a number of applications; MathType, AppleWorks, WordPerfect to name a few. We can send a copy of the EGO spec to any developer who is interested. It is definitely not equation, Design Science specific or proprietary in any way.

Paul Topping
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
PaulTopping
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject:

I should have added that EGO is also implemented in Nisus although I don't know about latest versions. They are also the creator of LinkBack which doesn't appear to be appropriate for integrating equations into documents. The LinkBack material specifically states this as a non-goal, presumably because EGO serves that purpose better. It is odd that the authors of LinkBack don't mention EGO if only to contrast the two techniques. Might be a case of not-invented-here syndrome.

Paul Topping
Design Science, Inc.
www.dessci.com
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 04, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject:

Paul,

Thank you for your very thorough descriptive of MathType in the Mac OS X environment,

PaulTopping wrote:
- Using Microsofts OLE (Object Linking and Embedding) which works only with Microsoft apps and is the same way MathType integrates with many apps on Windows.

I have assumed throughout this forum topic that this is what our users are really requesting. Of course we both understand that an OLE runtime is only available within Microsoft apps on Mac OS X which is why we are saying that, in order to support NeoOffice the same way, Design Sciences would have to rework the MathType code to act as an UNO object since NeoOffice, like OpenOffice.org only supports Sun's COM-like UNO runtime.

I suspect that this would not be a trivial amount of work for Design Sciences. Hence, I didn't want to give our users the idea that this could be "hacked in" easily.

Please let me know if I got anything wrong here.

Patrick
PaulTopping
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject:

I would think that with the EGO protocol it could be hacked in easily but it would be Mac only.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Aug 05, 2007 2:32 pm    Post subject:

PaulTopping wrote:
I would think that with the EGO protocol it could be hacked in easily but it would be Mac only.

Would you or Design Services be interested in doing this work? Being that we are a donation-funded, public service organization, our time and resources are very limited and maybe developing this code for NeoOffice might possibly be a worthwhile investment for Design Sciences?

If so, the only requirement is that that the authors of the code (or Design Sciences if their employees do the work) release the patches under the GPL license. The authors of the code keep copyright but since it would be GPL, we are allowed to incorporate the code in the main NeoOffice code tree.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject:

Although implementing insertion and editing of Math Type OLE objects directly in NeoOffice is still not something we can handle, I have just made a big improvement to NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org that makes many Math Type objects that are already embedded in a document render and print correctly.

You can try out my fix by installing the test latest patch near the end of bug 2661.

Note that this improvement only affects embedded objects that contain a PICT image. It is my understanding that Math Type objects created on Mac will have contain such an image but Math Type objects created on Windows may not.

Patrick
PaulTopping
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:18 pm    Post subject:

MathType objects produced on Windows will not have PICT images but Windows Metafile graphics instead. The two are similar and code could be written to convert one to the other. In fact, I'm sure such code exists in various graphic conversion packages.

Paul Topping
Design Science, Inc.
PaulTopping
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject:

I should also add that the current version of MathType on Windows, version 6.0, also produces MathML embedded in the WMF as a comment. This will also be done in the next Mac version.

Paul
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 5:45 pm    Post subject:

PaulTopping wrote:
I should also add that the current version of MathType on Windows, version 6.0, also produces MathML embedded in the WMF as a comment. This will also be done in the next Mac version.

Thanks for confirming the details. I have verified that NeoOffice's underlying OpenOffice.org is able to parse the Windows Metafile in MathType objects. For the most part, this code always worked except for cases where the object's text gets mapped to the Unicode Specials range (0xfff0 - 0xffff). A good example of this case is in the second attachment to bug 2497.

For this case, I figured I could simply detect such Unicode characters at the time of text layout and if the OpenOffice.org Windows Metafile parser has set the font to the OpenSymbol font, I will remap these particular characters to a more appropriate Unicode character that will render correctly.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3