Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - font anti aliasing?
font anti aliasing?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Robert D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: font anti aliasing?

First, let me say that 'triniity' is a great name for the forum. I have a
Germand Shepherd of the same name. Smile

Back on topic, how do I get font anti-aliasing turned on? I'm running OpenOffice with Apple X11/MAC OSX on a G4 powerbook. The fonts
are all very choppy and don't have the smooth look that I see when
running other non-X11 applications. How can I fix this?

Regards, Robert
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 1:34 am    Post subject:

With OOo X11, font antialiasing is only turned on for fonts that are TrueType only fonts. Some fonts, like Times or Helvetica, are mapped to X11 screen bitmap fonts. These bitmap fonts aren't antialiased. But if you use a TrueType only font like Apple Chancery, you will see it antialiased on your screen. Another example is Lucida Grande, the default interface font.

Note that if you use the "Technology Preview" of 1.1.1, you will not have antialiased fonts by default as it doesn't use fondu to perform the font importing from OS X. This will be fixed in the final release.

If you have a strong need or desire to antialias any of those screen fonts that are not antialised, you can use the font remapping capabilities of OOo to use font substitution to replace the bitmap font with an antialiased font. This may cause text metrics to be slightly different, though.

ed
Robert D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2004 11:21 am    Post subject:

Thanks. The Lucida Grande looks much better. Still not as good as when
using Word with the same font, but definite improvement. Is this because OpenOffice is using Apple X11 instead of Aqua? Or is it OpenOffice itself?

Robert
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2004 12:45 am    Post subject:

Some of it may be the antialiasing. OpenOffice.org uses an X11 library called "xrender" to do its antialiasing and doesn't use the same algorithms as Mac OS X. This isn't really a limitation of Apple X11, just OpenOffice.org X11. I believe that if X11 apps use xft then Apple X11 will start being more clever with the text mapping. OOo just doesn't use it, so none of the things that make Apple X11 special are really used aside from the quartz window manager Sad

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1