Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Japanese display already possible?
Japanese display already possible?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Japanese display already possible?

Just for fun I loaded a japanese .doc into OO, and was thrilled to find that even furigana were positioned correctly, sth that Word vX only manages when the OS runs in Japanese.

Alas, there were only boxes instead of characters.

A limitation of Apples' X11?
Not yet ported?
Or can I make it work somehow?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 8:33 am    Post subject:

The problem is mostly font encoding related. Freetype and OOo don't understand the encodings used for the Mac Japanese fonts.

If you want to try with OOo, the only thing I can think of is to try and find a way to get a Windows Japanese font and install it into OOo (has to be .ttf). The other option is to use NeoOffice/J which has the ability to render the Mac Japanese fonts.

ed
vanity

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: NeoOffice/J better at Japanese than OO

[quote="OPENSTEP"]The other option is to use NeoOffice/J which has the ability to render the Mac Japanese fonts.
[/quote]

Just tried it. Painfully slow. After changing the font Text and Furigana are displayed. Window title in Japanese, too. Dialogs (Ruby Edit) and Menus (Window) show only boxes, though. Input works via separate OSX field but not on the canvas.

All in all much more than OO/X11 did. And some stuff that even MS Word doesn't do ;-)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: NeoOffice/J better at Japanese than OO

vanity wrote:

Just tried it. Painfully slow. After changing the font Text and Furigana are displayed. Window title in Japanese, too. Dialogs (Ruby Edit) and Menus (Window) show only boxes, though. Input works via separate OSX field but not on the canvas.

Dialogs and menus showed only boxes? Which version of NeoOffice/J are you using? I know that this was a problem in version 0.0 of NeoOffice/J but I thought that I fixed this in version 0.0.1.

As for input on the canvas, for some reason the OOo code insists on setting the default font for a document to Times Roman. Since Times Roman only has Western European characters, you need to select a font for your document that supports Japanese characters like Furigana before you start typing.

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:29 am    Post subject:

Crazy thought here...the default serif and sans serif fonts are hardcoded strings returned by a function call if I recall correctly. Suppose we shift that default serif/sans-serif fonts based on the locale?

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 10:43 am    Post subject:

Sounds good to me. Do you know which function sets this so that I can change it?

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2003 11:10 pm    Post subject:

I recall this only from a crash I fixed when moving OOo to 1.0.3 Smile The function in the stack trace was:

OutputDevice::GetDefaultFont ()

That at least seemed like the dispatch point for peeking into strings to figure out what font should be the default font based upon available fonts.

I suspect that the default font strings, if not in that file, should match the pattern /\;Thorndale/. In older versions of OOo OS X that don't have an explicit "Times New Roman" font, the default font for documents maps to Thorndale. If there is a times new roman, however, it chooses that instead. Since font separators for OOo in font strings are semicolons, running a find grepping for the above pattern should pick out all of the relevant files where default serif font strings may be located. I suspect they're all within VCL and referenced from that OutputDevice function, but VCL was written by a bunch of people high on crack, I believe, so you never know Wink

ed

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject:

Guys,

grep the vcl for "Thorndale" and you'll find most of the places that need to be changed Smile

Dan
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jul 24, 2003 8:04 pm    Post subject:

Dan,

So you think you can hide your identity behind the "guest" user? Laughing

Anyway, it looks like Thorndale appears only in source/gdi/outdev3.cxx so changing it should not be a problem.

vanity,

Which font do you think should be the default font for Japanese users?

Patrick
vanity

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Font for Japanese

Sadly even Apple doesn't supply a "one to show them all" font. At least most Browsers get any character right.

Anyways, my installation of 0.0.1 still shows boxes. I'll try switching the OS locale to J later.

OSX' standard font for Japanese seems to be Hiragino (Kaku).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1