Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Where are fonts stored?
Where are fonts stored?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 9:55 am    Post subject: Where are fonts stored?

OS X 10.3.3
OOo 1.1.1

(1)
In Writer there is a list of fonts from which one can select one or more to use.
Some of these do not work eg ZapfDingbats, Symbol.
In share/fonts/truetype/ only the Vera typeface listed.
In share/psprint/fontmetric a number of .afm files including those for ZapfDingbats and Symbol.
What am I doing wrong?

(2)
Where does one place .ttf files?

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:15 pm    Post subject:

Again, I reiterate that 1.1.1 support should be asked for in the *testing* forums at this point in time, not in the main support forum.

The fonts are stored in the share/fonts/truetype directory. If you're using 1.1.1 with the technology preview installer, you'll have to install the fonts you want to use manually. Drop the ttf files in that directory and remove your "pspfontcache" file to force OOo to regenerate it.

Not all fonts, particularly symbol and foreign language fonts, can be properly used with OOo.

ed
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 10:23 pm    Post subject:

I had similar problems with OOo 1.1.0
Webdings works. ZapfDingbats does not.
I can do most of my work with what we have now.

Sorry about the post to the wrong forum.
I appreciate your patience with me and the work you are doing for all of us.

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:16 pm    Post subject:

If you need the various symbol or dingbats fonts, the most reliable method to get them may be to try copying them out of a Windows box. OOo should support the font encoding for the Windows symbol fonts. Not all Mac font encodings are supported, and there are no plans to support them at this time.

ed
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:39 am    Post subject:

Bummer!!! Sad

I started with using an IBM 1620 in the '60s.

In 1985 I bought my first Mac. Very Happy
I have 10 Macs between my office and my home. No Windows box.
Never used MSDOS, Windows.
My hands have touched a Windows machine less than a dozen times in my life. I have seen them in other offices and in stores Shocked

Seriously, can one upload/download Windows fonts, given Microsoft's need to squeeze every pfennig out of everything they touch?

ie May, and can, someone post the .ttf versions to match the supplied .afm items in OOo 1.1.1?

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject:

Well, some of the M$ fonts used to be available online as part of their online core fonts project. IIRC this included the "Webdings" font which provided some of the symbols, but not all the greek letters. Anyway, they all moved to SourceForge:

http://corefonts.sourceforge.net/

and are still available for download. I know Kevin's been working on an automated download wizard for OOo 1.1.2 that automatically gets these fonts and installs them.

Apart from those, most M$ fonts aren't available for public download. They may even be licensed from other type houses, I really don't know. The only ones I am sure of are those core fonts. If you have a Windows license, I think it would apply for moving those fonts to a new machine, but you'd have to check the EULA.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1