Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Font confusion...
Font confusion...

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pongo000
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Font confusion...

OK, I have poured through the font messages and FAQs, and still cannot seem to get the latest version of OOo to export PDFs with fonts intact under OSX 10.3.3. I'm trying to use Bitstream Vera Sans. Exporting slides to PDF results in blank slides. I tried to print to Postscript and then use pstopdf, and that resulted in fonts called BitstreamVeraSans-RegularHGSet2 being exported as part of the PS file. (I can't find any references to font names in this format on my system.)

As a last ditch effort, I imported all of the OOo TTF fonts to my FontBook, then added them using spadmin. Lo and behold, printing to PS, then converting to PDF using pstopdf now works, but the file size is huge.

Any pointers on how to get the Export PDF functionality to work with the default fonts in OOo?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2004 9:21 pm    Post subject:

Since Bitstream Vera is not one of the standard Mac fonts or a standard printer font, chances are the PDF export or postscript translation is embedding the truetype font data in the PDF itself. Are you required to use Vera, or can you flip to one of the standard postscript fonts?

I am unfamiliar with how ghostscript or the Panther pstopdf utility deal with embedding fonts in the files they generate.

ed
pongo000
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2004 7:14 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the reply. I'm under no requirement to use the Vera font; it's just a personal preference. Some of the other fonts (Helvetica in particular) simply didn't display correctly (characters were compressed and overlapping).

However, I did read elsewhere in this forum about NeoOffice/J having much of the functionality of OOo without the X11 ugliness, so I went ahead and installed that...I can now "write to PDF" from the native Print dialog, and the Vera fonts render just fine! So I think I'll stick with NeoOffice.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 16, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject:

Yes, if you really want access to all of the Mac fonts and have proper font rendering, you'll want to look at NeoOffice/J. The font rendering and printing you'll get out of X11 builds won't be able to match the exact layouts of other Mac applications since the X11 versions aren't using the Mac fonts. NeoOffice/J is using Mac fonts, however Smile

OpenOffice.org isn't really meant for typesetting on any platform, but the X11 version definitely won't get you the same quality as other Mac applications.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1