NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki mail broken
NeoWiki mail broken

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 9:31 am    Post subject: NeoWiki mail broken

FYI. Please do not press the E-mail Password button in NeoWiki until further notice as it will not work and you will be locked out of your account.

Jakeosx or Smokey,

Is this fixable? I've been locked out of my NeoWiki account for nearly a week because of this.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

sorry, this is my mistake, i forgot to change your password.

still not sure what the actual issue is, tho.

more to follow later.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject:

I don't know if you saw my PMs, but would you be interested in having me relocate the NeoWiki database and web pages to one of our dedicated servers?

We have a lot of capacity on the new Bugzilla machine and we have total administrative control over the machine so there are no load sharing issues with other websites. Also, we have database backups automatically running every 6 hours with hot backups to a failover machine every night.

I would really like to do this move as I think we have grown to the point where the NeoWiki is such a valuable resource that we need to ensure that it gets the same level of IT backups, failover, machine security, etc. that Ed and I have implemented for the www and bugzilla sites and we are in process of doing for trinity.

If you are interested, take a look at my last PM for what data I would need to setup up a test instance of the NeoWiki.

Thanks,

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject:

i did see them, today has just been too busy to reply.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

No problem.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:

OK. It has been two weeks. I'm trying to be patient, but it really seems this is going nowhere.

Does anyone has sysadmin rights to NeoWiki that can look into this? Kind of defeats the purpose of a having a Wiki if you can't use it.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 4:56 am    Post subject:

no, this has to be done on a database level. media wiki has no user administration. i'll do it today.
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 5:10 am    Post subject:

strange.

i just actually tried it myself (sorry, should have already done that), and the email part seems to work for me. when i am not behind a firewall this afternoon i'll fix your password.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:12 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
strange.

i just actually tried it myself (sorry, should have already done that), and the email part seems to work for me. when i am not behind a firewall this afternoon i'll fix your password.

Really? Perhaps your e-mail address hosted by your web hosting company and outgoing mail using sendmail (I just looked at the MediaWiki code and it uses sendmail, not SMTP) is not being forwarded? I only use neooffice.org emails as my NeoWiki email and that email will not screen out anything as SPAM (the account uses Ed's own mail server).

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
no, this has to be done on a database level. media wiki has no user administration. i'll do it today.

So while you are in there, are you going to get me the database dump that you promised last week so that I can setup the test instance of NeoWiki on our servers?

Trinity dumps (and Trinity is at least as large a database as NeoWiki) take less than 5 minutes to run so I don't understand what the holdup is. I can even use your most recent existing database backup dump as this is only a test instance.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

i found out why the mail was not working for you, you had not entered in an email address. please check your PM
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
i found out why the mail was not working for you, you had not entered in an email address. please check your PM

Ouch. Is that actually possible in MediaWiki? If so, I suspect this little MediaWiki "feature" affects many other accounts since you and Smokey are the only ones who can setup accounts.

When you send me the database dump for the NeoWiki test instance, I will check this out and see if the newer MediaWiki version has closed this hole. If not, I'll see if I can match any such accounts to their matching Trinity accounts.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject:

email is not required for a mediawiki account. i suspect that i can be set up that way, but i never thought it necessary.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 1:48 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
email is not required for a mediawiki account. i suspect that i can be set up that way, but i never thought it necessary.

Strange. Then how do you recover your lost password? I guess if you manually track whose e-mail you used to setup the account, you are OK but then someone needs to be monitoring these problems manually. Sad

We may be stuck with that approach for a while, but I would still like to get the test instance up and running sooner rather than later as there is hundreds of hours of volunteer effort in the NeoWiki and I think the data in the NeoWiki is a critical part of our support infrustrature and should have dedicated sysadmin resources.

Thankfully my issue ended up being caused by something simple. But what about the next time when, inevitably, the server crashes or the server's disk becomes corrupted? I can easily see that causing several weeks of down time in our current configuration. Considering that Trinity, Bugzilla, and the main download page are now tied to the NeoWiki, such down time would be extremely painful for Ed, I, our support volunteers, as well as our users.

In contrast, Ed and I have structured our servers to enable reconstruction of any web site within only a few hours and we staff ourselves so that we are prepared to do it. We have cross-trained each other so that if one is on vacation or out of town, the other person can cover. While I don't like to advertise it, we have 16x7 support for our servers.

I'll be blunt here: I sense that there is reluctance to moving the NeoWiki into our neooffice.org server infrastructure. If I'm wrong, my apologies and I look forward to seeing the database dump in the next day or two.

However, if there is reluctance, I'd like to know why. Ed and I are offering to not only take on the sysadmin support for the NeoWiki, but we are also offering to significantly increase the response time for that support. Is this a bad thing to offer or are their issues that you think I am not seeing?

I am interested to hear what the NeoWiki volunteers think about this. If the NeoWiki volunteers think moving NeoWiki is a bad thing, then that's fine with me.

Patrick
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject:

the information you requested is in your PM.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2