Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - What's wrong with the latest update?
What's wrong with the latest update?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximmaculata
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:32 pm    Post subject: What's wrong with the latest update?

I am not a tech person, so I cannot look at the code, well not and understand what it means. But I dutifully downloaded the latest update and it has turned my computer into a snail. Everything now loads SOOO slowly, especially in NeoOffice. This was not a fix.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject:

Subjectively, I would tend to agree. During my last bit of work in NeoOffice, I had the impression it used to be faster..

-Oz

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: What's wrong with the latest update?

maximmaculata wrote:
I am not a tech person, so I cannot look at the code, well not and understand what it means. But I dutifully downloaded the latest update and it has turned my computer into a snail. Everything now loads SOOO slowly, especially in NeoOffice. This was not a fix.

I really doubt that the patch is going to affect your entire computer. NeoOffice patches do not change the OS in any way. I'm betting that 1) you have installed or updated a virus detection program or 2) installed some tool that installs a haxie like Unsanity APE or Smart Crash Reports. These two items have a nasty history of bringing large applications like NeoOffice to a crawl so I would suggest that you really look closely at our troubleshooting tips at the following URL:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Troubleshooting_Tips#Performance

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject:

Well, personally, I get a lot of disc trashing, even with 1 GB of RAM to play with.. Did effective RAM use go up for some reason? It might be what is causing maximmaculata's machien to slow down.
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 5:54 am    Post subject:

This is my process information with latest patch & three documents open (2 Writer, 1 Base DB), Mac OS X 10.4.10, Powerbook 1,5 GHz, 786 MB RAM:

Code:
  PID   UID  REG RPRVT  RSHRD  RSIZE  VPRVT  VSIZE  TH PRT    TIME  %CPU COMMAND
11304   502 1040  113M  96.2M   107M   609M   948M  18 500   1m07s   0.3 soffice.bin

Doesn't look extraordinarily to me, additionally, scrolling is as snappy as with patch 6.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Well, personally, I get a lot of disc trashing, even with 1 GB of RAM to play with.. Did effective RAM use go up for some reason? It might be what is causing maximmaculata's machien to slow down.

Not that I know of. In fact, the amount of memory used for the text layout cache should be lower as we no longer need to cache full lines and, instead, we cache individual words. This resulted in a significantly smaller text layout cache with a significantly higher cache hit rate. This is how I got text layout performance to improve by 250% or so.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

OK, maybe something else was dragging my machine down. Not unheard of.
Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

To the original poster: to find out if a program is hogging CPU (and thus slowing your whole machine down), run the following command in a window in the /Applications/Utilities/Terminal application:

Code:
top -s 10 -o cpu

This will list the programs that are using the most CPU. If any program is using over 10% of the CPU for more than 30 seconds, that is likely the cause of your problem.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 10:30 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
OK, maybe something else was dragging my machine down. Not unheard of.

You might also want to try the latest test patch in bug 2510 and see if you notice any change in memory usage. In this test patch, I cut the maximum size of the text layout cache in half. It used to grow proportionately with the physical memory in your machine up to 1 GB. Now it will only grow proportionately to 500 MB of memory. Machines with lower memory will not see any change in text layout cache size.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1