Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Reorganizing the Component Pages
Reorganizing the Component Pages

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 5:37 am    Post subject: Reorganizing the Component Pages

For some time, I've been thinkng about revamping the Components pages in the wiki.

I'd like to
-update/clean up the current text
-move the component specific tips over to the appropriate component page
-add a section to each page for external tip links (I just did this for Writer and Impress)
-add a section to each page for documentation/user guides (I think this has already been done in some instances)

Does this make sense to do?

I'm not sure how quickly I'll get it done, especially since I have another wiki project in mind, too. But I wanted to get "clearance" before I started messing too much with those pages.

Lorinda
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

Hi Lorinda,

Sounds excellent!

Best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:23 am    Post subject:

I like very much the idea of cleaning up the individual component pages; with the exception of Math (on which Jacqueline did a fantastic job), they're all in need of some major work.

I'm a bit concerned about removing the component-specific tips from the main tips page, hiding them further back in the wiki.

Also, on an unrelated note, any reason you added the vertical text external link to the Writer page instead of the Bidi and vertical text article?

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm a bit concerned about removing the component-specific tips from the main tips page, hiding them further back in the wiki. I'm a bit concerned about removing the component-specific tips from the main tips page, hiding them further back in the wiki.

I did wonder a little bit about that. I was thinking about it because the tips and hints page was getting so long, and because we've been stashing component specific documentation resources on the component pages. But I could just as easily provide a link on the component pages to the appropriate spot on the Tips and Hints page.

Quote:
Also, on an unrelated note, any reason you added the vertical text external link to the Writer page instead of the Bidi and vertical text article?

Only because I didn't know the Bidi and vertical text article existed! I'll add the link there, although I will probably leave it on the component page, too.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject:

Wow, I hadn't realized how long that page had gotten! It's now two screens of component-specific hints here, and another screen or so of general tips. Hard-working magical wiki elves indeed! Very Happy

So maybe we do want to move them off, after all, to help control page size? If so, we should prominently note that hints specific to using the various components can be found on those pages.

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Jul 14, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Wow, I hadn't realized how long that page had gotten! It's now two screens of component-specific hints here, and another screen or so of general tips. Hard-working magical wiki elves indeed! Very Happy

So maybe we do want to move them off, after all, to help control page size? If so, we should prominently note that hints specific to using the various components can be found on those pages.

Smokey
+1
Sounds like a ... GREAT idea - indeed!

Philip ( Hard-working magical wiki elves indeed! Very Happy )
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject:

About the math section: (Thanks Smokey…)

Some English pages have not been polished. They are in Fixme category. I just polished myself a bit (I've a disastrous habit to "customize" the English order of words Evil or Very Mad).
If someone can polish them, Thanks a lot.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject:

I've moved over the applicable tips to the NeoBase page. If it looks o.k. as is, I'll remove the fixme tag. I'd like a longer description of Base at the top, but I'm not sure what else to say, and I'm a bit out of my league to go into more detail. (I'm hoping my current Base project will slowly change that).

I only moved over tips that related to Neo 2.0. There are lots of tips under "database" that relate to Neo 1.2. I'm guessing they should be removed from the Tips and Hints page, but still made accesible somehow? Is there a protocol for "archiving" articles relating to older versions of Neo?

If you click on this link, you will see a "handbook sidebar" listing related articles. It shows up on several of the Databases pages. The syntax is {{handbook sidebar|DatabaseTOC}}. I like the idea of having this sidebar on the component-specific tips and hints pages, but I have no idea how to specify what goes in the TOC list. If someone can point me in the right direction, I will work on creating an appropriate handbook sidebar.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda, just make sure the old database articles are linked on the Legacy Information page, under the correct version of Neo, and they can be removed (however, it looks to me like all of them listed there are still relevant for Neo 2.x, though creating a dbase database might not be the best way to approach making a database).

DatabaseTOC is just another wiki page (template, actually, but still set up like any other page): Template:DatabaseTOC; just make a new template with a list of links of all the pages you want in the sidebar, and the parent handbook sidebar template takes care of the rest.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:37 pm    Post subject:

Smokey,

Thanks for the answers. I'll try to take a look at the Databases articles again in the next few days and see if there are others that should be added to the NeoBase component page. I may rename the Configuring and Using Databases page to something about connecting to other database formats (dbase, access, etc.), or create a new page with some of the info there.

Unfortunately I'm hampered by the fact that I know nothing about connecting to other databases. In most cases I'll have to leave those pages the way they are, as I don't have the expertise to bring them up to date. (I'll still set up the links on the NeoBase page, though)

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 11:58 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I may rename the Configuring and Using Databases page to something about connecting to other database formats (dbase, access, etc.), or create a new page with some of the info there.

Before there was Base, that page was intended to be the equivalent of the NeoBase component page. It was a project I started and never got finished (partly because I knew little about the database stuff, too), so the main content was the articles in the sidebar TOC written by others, and the main page ended up collecting tips that couldn't (yet) fit in their own article....

Design decisions of the past obsoleted before they could be accomplished Wink

Thanks for your work on this; I look forward to learning about using Base! (And if you generate any images that might work well for full-sized screenshots in NeoOffice Screenshots, that would be great. We used to have a database form screenshot there--from fabrizio from Neo/J 1.1 in Italian--but it got too old to be able to reasonably continue to use....)

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject:

I went back over the links from the Configuring and Using Databases page, and moved the ones that looked like they still applied to 2.1 to the NeoBase page. Everything else went on the Legacy page, in the appropriate place.

I created a new page for the dbf and Access tips on the Configuring and Using Databases page.

The Databases section on the Tips and Hints page has been deleted.

I just realized that I forgot to add a warning to the TIps and Hints that we are moving component specific tips. Embarassed I'll go back and do that.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject:

The component specific hints have now all been moved to the appropriate component pages.

Some of the component pages could use some more fleshing out. Thanks to Jacqueline for her work on the Math page; I didn't need to do anything there.

But all the rest could probably do with expanded descriptions of the components.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:55 am    Post subject:

I was adding a link to the NeoBase page when I realized that all the component pages still have fixmes attached. Most fixmes were applied before the reorganization. Can I safely remove them now?

Rereading this thread, I realized that I never added the handbook box with TOC links. As much as those pages get modified, I'm not sure I want to bother.

I'll probably add one to the "To Base and Back Again" pages, although I might wait until I'm done.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I was adding a link to the NeoBase page when I realized that all the component pages still have fixmes attached. Most fixmes were applied before the reorganization. Can I safely remove them now?
Lorinda

I agree with you, except (maybe) for the NeoDraw page which is empty Wink
(There are same fixmes in the French pages)
Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2