Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 2.1 patch 7 requires JVM upgrade
2.1 patch 7 requires JVM upgrade

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ff1959
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:01 am    Post subject: 2.1 patch 7 requires JVM upgrade

2.1 patch 7 installer failed to install, indicating new JVM required. Is there something newer than 1.6.0?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 6:42 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice will not run with Java 1.6. The only supported JVMs are 1.4.2 and 1.5.0. The NeoOffice installer (and the patch installer) will check the default JVM and refuse to install if 1.4.2 or 1.5.0 are not the default. To install the patch, you first need to set your default JVM to one that it supported by NeoOffice.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: 2.1 patch 7 requires JVM upgrade

ff1959 wrote:
2.1 patch 7 installer failed to install, indicating new JVM required. Is there something newer than 1.6.0?

Another person who has messed with their Java installation, eh?

Seriously, Apple never sets Java 1.6 as the default JVM so you have clearly messed with Apple's installed softlinks to get this to work.

Revert all your changes back to how Apple installs the JVM and NeoOffice will install just fine.

Patrick
Hamellr
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject:

I'm experiencing this same issue on two different machines. These are fresh installs with software update ran to upgrade them to OSX 10.4.10.

Only Java 4 and 5 are installed on these two machines, Java 6 isn't even entering into the picture. I've played with Java Web Start and configured Java 1.4.2ver2 to be the first version launched.

It looks like 10.4.10 breaks this as my 30 or so previous installs on 10.4.9 all work fine. But if I remove NeoOffice, upgrade to 10.4.10 I can duplicate this error message.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject:

If you execute
Code:
/usr/bin/java -version
in a Terminal window, what is the output?

Edit on 07/22/2007: Added the -version option to the java command.

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:42 am; edited 2 times in total
shaj
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If you execute /usr/bin/java in a Terminal window, what is the output?

Patrick

Hi Patrick.

I'm also having the same problem as Hamellr. I've tried executing the above but it's as if the file doesn't exist.

When I run the update, it says I can't cause I have an older version of Java. I checked and I only have 1.3, 1.4 & 1.5 with 1.5 being active.

Also when I try and run the latest Java install from Apple, it says I have a newer vewrsion installed?!?

Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject:

shaj wrote:
I'm also having the same problem as Hamellr. I've tried executing the above but it's as if the file doesn't exist.

/usr/bin/java does not exist? Then something is seriously horked on your machine. /usr/bin/java is a standard Mac OS X file that *must* be on your machine.

Patrick
shaj
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 9:49 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
/usr/bin/java does not exist? Then something is seriously horked on your machine. /usr/bin/java is a standard Mac OS X file that *must* be on your machine.

Patrick

great Sad

any solution? other than a re-install?
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject:

I have read elsewhere in a reliable Mac magazine that it is sometimes helpful in situations like this to download the Mac OS X combo installer as a .dmg and install from it, rather than just using Software Update and the incremental upgrade package.

Despite appearances to the contrary, the results can be different.

It may be worth a try?

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:

I'd second that idea.

I have seen that mention by MANY folks that I have some respect for. I'm not sure just what the difference is but it seems that a COMBO update does a more more detailed/through update and makes sure that everything is set up correctly. I don't usually use the Combo but have once-or-twice when I had extra problems with Mac OS X updates. Usually fixed whatever was causing extra problems on my computer. YMMV. Worth a ... try?

Philip ( Computer Software is part skill, partly an Art, and lots of ... magic Question Rolling Eyes )
doctype
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:05 am    Post subject:

shaj wrote:
any solution? other than a re-install?

I hate to write it down, but a missing /usr/bin/java would ring all alarm bells to me. If you haven't messed with your Java installation or the /usr folder manually (if you don't use the command line / Terminal.app, this is probably not the case), then you should seriously consider the following situations:

a) your file system is messed up
b) your hard disk is physically damaged

In either case, I would suggest to backup all important data. Then starting from there:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?path=Mac/10.4/en/mh12.html
I would follow the advice for checking the file system. If there are (many) reported failures, a complete re-install may help, but if you have a Hardware Test Application on your Install CD for your machine (not all of them have one), a hardware check can't be bad (there are infos at Apple Support for each computer model).

If the file system hasn't many errors, I would suggest to do a complete re-install anyway. Applying the System updates probably won't help much, because Java comes usually in extra update packages.
shaj
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Patrick

Ok...I went into Terminal and managed to change directory to /usr/bin

after 'ls' I noticed that there IS a java file there...

but when I type 'java', it says '-bash: java: command not found'

So how come the file is there, but it's not running?!?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 10:40 am    Post subject:

shaj wrote:
pluby wrote:

Patrick

Ok...I went into Terminal and managed to change directory to /usr/bin

after 'ls' I noticed that there IS a java file there...

but when I type 'java', it says '-bash: java: command not found'

So how come the file is there, but it's not running?!?

Please type the command exactly as I posted earlier:
Code:
/usr/bin/java -version

Patrick
shaj
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Please type the command exactly as I posted earlier:
Code:
/usr/bin/java -version

Patrick

Sorry...forgot to mention that I had tried it this way as well...

Same thing Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 9:47 pm    Post subject:

shaj wrote:
Sorry...forgot to mention that I had tried it this way as well...

Then the only logical conclusion is that someone (intentionally or accidentally) deleted the /usr/bin/java softlink. Since this is a system file, this is not a good sign at all for your machine. I am no Mac systems support export and others may have better suggestions, but you may ultimately need to reinstall Mac OS X and its upgrades to get your system back to the state that it should be in. Sad

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2