NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoWiki sandbox server running
NeoWiki sandbox server running

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject:

unregistered edits are an additional part of the localsettings.php file that will be added, so ignore that part. what is important is that the database came over correctly and that the site works.

patrick, i assume you are re-running the 'setup' each time you re-import the database?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:47 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, correcting the accents will be potentially time-consuming but easy when the database migration is done for real.

Unfortunately, I'm still seeing at least some missing pages in each of the main non-English languages (just looking at each language's main page; there are probably more).

French (for example):
Accès Anticipé à NeoOffice FAQ
Comparaison des fonctionnalités
Captures d'écran de NeoOffice
Comment signaler des problèmes
Problèmes d'installation et solutions
Problèmes communs et solutions

If worse comes to worse, we can leave Jake's copy wiki read-only for a while and go over the new one, looking for missing pages, and then export from Jake's copy and then import to the new copy. (I just tried this with Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités, which was missing from the sandbox, and the import seemed to work properly.)

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 4:50 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Spanish is back, but unresgistered edits are still working - notice something different on the front page (and see the history) ?

I have made the required change to the MediaWiki to disable this in the sandbox server.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject:

FYI. Since I changed the MediaWiki code, I also did a reload of the data to see if any pages starting missing.

Edit: Bad news, the Spanish main page is missing again after several reloads and reinstalls. This makes me wonder if JakeOSX's MediaWiki instance is possibly corrupt or if doing an upgrade from 1.6.x to 1.10.1 is not feasible.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 6:06 pm    Post subject:

FYI. JakeOSX got me a new backup using the latest NeoWiki data and using a different backup method. Hopefully this will work better.

I'll load this new data in the next 12 or so hours. When I get it done, I'll post here. Until then, you can ignore the sandbox as I think it isn't reliable enough to use in its current state.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 11:15 pm    Post subject:

OK. JakeOSX's latest database backup loaded without any problems and he has given me all of the images from the production server.

So, the NeoWiki sandbox should now be an exact match to the production NeoWiki.

Let me know if you see any problems. In particular, I am curious if image uploads work as that is the one area that I haven't tested.

Patrick
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:

It looks to be ALL there - logos too!
(Logo's are on page corner/masthead and logo page has it's elements too)

No links appear to be broken; even the one valter updated; and the accent replacements on the French page I noted in an earlier post are showing the correct characters and accents now.

Poked around on History of several pages; and they appear to have all their elements as some had notations of changes starting in 2005.

Nice.

Last edited by mickeyinlalaland on Thu Jul 26, 2007 8:17 am; edited 1 time in total
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:40 am    Post subject:

Excuse me but I don't understand Embarassed

What is a "sandbox server"?
Now we all have to write articles on the new page? (every time that we change the url I have to ask to my "friends" of the "proxy-websense" that open the access (I have a yes-list to see Internet...)

Excuse me again...!
Thanks
Rodrigo
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:47 am    Post subject:

RoyFocker wrote:
What is a "sandbox server"?
Now we all have to write articles on the new page? (every time that we change the url I have to ask to my "friends" of the "proxy-websense" that open the access (I have a yes-list to see Internet...)

Excuse me again...!
Thanks
Rodrigo

You should keep wirting articles on the old wiki. The test wiki is there to make sure that when we transfer the existing wiki to its new server, all pages are transferred correctly.

pluby wrote:
valterb wrote:
I corrected missing links

Valter

I wouldn't spend much effort correcting the data at this point as I will likely keep doing reloads of the backup to make sure that I have a complete set of steps for when we move the production NeoWiki.

Patrick

Valter meant to say that he corrected the missing links on the production wiki.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 6:33 am    Post subject:

A "sandbox" is a play area for children filled with sand. In wiki applications (and maybe other contexts?) "sandbox" is used to refer to an area or place that can be "played" with to learn how the wiki works, or experiment with a new feature, without worrying about damaging the "official" parts of the wiki.

As Samwise has said, the "sandbox server" is a test, to ensure that we can successfully move the real wiki (the production wiki) over without problems.

As I understand it, the url of the real/production wiki will not change when it is moved.

Lorinda
/who hasn't had time to play in the sandbox yet Sad
RoyFocker
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:23 pm    Post subject:

Thank you Lorinda and Samwise: no problem! Therefore I will not ask to "open" that page on my yes-list...

Rodrigo
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
valterb wrote:
I corrected missing links

Valter

Valter meant to say that he corrected the missing links on the production wiki.

Yes, that's it!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 6:21 pm    Post subject:

OK. Since I verified that file upload works OK and no one has found any obvious problems using the NeoWiki sandbox server, JakeOSX and I are going to move the production server sometime in the next couple of days. So, please, if there are any major problems that you see in the NeoWiki sandbox server, let us know now.

So here is how the move will work. Just before the move, JakeOSX will make the current production NeoWiki read-only. It will remain online during the move, but you will not be able to make changes until the move is done.

The move will take about an hour and when the move is done, you should not see any difference as neowiki.neooffice.org will merely resolve to a different server. You will know that the move is complete when your browser resolves to the new server and you can actually edit content.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:44 pm    Post subject:

FYI. JakeOSX has put the old NeoWiki into read-only mode and I have moved all of the database data to the new server. From my end, it all looks OK so I have switch DNS so that neowiki.neooffice.org now points to our new production server.

It will probably take the DNS changes a few hours to roll out worldwide. But when you can edit pages, you know that you are using the production server.

Please let me know if you find anything broken as a result of the move.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject:

Everything looks all right.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3