Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Using NeoOffice in a different language (UI)
Using NeoOffice in a different language (UI)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Using NeoOffice in a different language (UI)

The instructions on the Changing the Language of the User Interface page, in the Using NeoOffice in a different language from the system language section, seem a bit complicated; wouldn't it be simpler to tell users to set the language in NeoOffice > Preferences... > Language Settings > Languages, under "Language of" > "User Interface" and relaunch NeoOffice. ?

Also, the links to the language pack downloads are outdated, they should be updated.

If you think it's a good idea, I can edit the page tomorrow.
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:39 pm    Post subject:

Well, you might, but (a) you should describe a way to get it back to the default of following the system and (b) I wonder how either option affects the native spellchecker. Yours does not seem to, but I wonder about the current tip.

Best wishes,
oscar

Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject:

There may be something I'm missing, but I would agree. I've changed the UI language for NeoOffice by following the method you list above; I've never tried the more complicated one in the wiki.

I was going to double check on the process before finishing the post, but I realized that I haven't downloaded the French language pack for Neo 2.2.1 EA yet. (In part I wanted to see if the UI settings were unique to user accounts; I have a French localized user account I use occasionally when I'm translating posts here or in the iWeb forums. But that will have to waint until I download the language pack).

Lorinda
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
but (a) you should describe a way to get it back to the default of following the system

Just select "Default" will set the UI language to the default system value. Thanks for the suggestion.

Lorinda wrote:
(In part I wanted to see if the UI settings were unique to user accounts; I have a French localized user account I use occasionally when I'm translating posts here or in the iWeb forums. But that will have to waint until I download the language pack)

I don't understand your question. The language set in System Preferences is unique to the user account, and, since the NeoOffice preference folders are stored in the Home Folder, the NeoOffice preferences only affect the user as well, and not the whole system. I don't see how not installing the language pack could help you figure it out.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 6:02 pm    Post subject:

I see I wasn't clear. My apologies. It's not that I intentionally avoided installing the language pack so I could check. Rather I couldn't check out my question because I hadn't installed the French language pack yet.

Under normal circumstances, my assumption would be that the individual user preferences would mean that Neo would open in English in my main account and French in my French UI account. But I thought I remembered that I had to reset the language in the French account each time I started Neo there. Since I haven't gotten around to the installing 2.2.1's French language pack, I wasn't able to check today to see if my memory was correct.

I'll check it out after I get the language pack installed; it wasn't intended as a question per se.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: Using NeoOffice in a different language (UI)

Samwise wrote:
The instructions on the Changing the Language of the User Interface page, in the Using NeoOffice in a different language from the system language section, seem a bit complicated; wouldn't it be simpler to tell users to set the language in NeoOffice > Preferences... > Language Settings > Languages, under "Language of" > "User Interface" and relaunch NeoOffice. ?

Also, the links to the language pack downloads are outdated, they should be updated.

If you think it's a good idea, I can edit the page tomorrow.

I agree. Good idea. It's the same for all applications. I do that evry time I want to switch from Fr to En.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject:

I've updated the page in English. Before starting the translation, could someone review my edit and make sure I have used the appropriate templates and terminology (I have the feeling that it needs some improvement) ?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 03, 2007 7:52 am    Post subject:

It seems OK. I'll try to translate soon. Thanks for doing the update Smile

Jacqueline
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:07 pm    Post subject:

The rationale behind the old instructions (besides, um, not knowing the other way Embarassed ) is that we always tend to prefer Mac-like, native solutions for wiki articles (as opposed to command-line, Windows-y, or OOo-y ones).

In cases where there is great disparity in ease-of-use between the native Mac solution (twiddling the checkboxes) and the OOo solution (selecting languages in prefs), it's OK to use the other type, but we should make sure there really is a good reason to use the non-Mac way in those cases Wink

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 07, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
In cases where there is great disparity in ease-of-use between the native Mac solution (twiddling the checkboxes) and the OOo solution (selecting languages in prefs), it's OK to use the other type, but we should make sure there really is a good reason to use the non-Mac way in those cases Wink

I agree, although in this case I think the choice is a no-brainer.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1