Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - New: NeoOffice User Guide
New: NeoOffice User Guide

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:00 pm    Post subject: New: NeoOffice User Guide

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

I've been looking at some of the excellent resources for OpenOffice.org, and wondered whether it was possible to make them more relevant to NeoOffice and OS X.

I've managed to do a draft of the second chapter [there are 14 chapters] of the OpenOffice.org 2.0 User Guide. The draft is located for download here.

This exercise has shown me that it is quite feasible to do the whole User Guide in Neospeak. I am happy to keep going - if it is going to be a justifiable use of my time. Please have a look and get back to me here or in a PM.

Is this worth pursuing?

Peter
rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:48 pm    Post subject:

In a word, Peter, "Yes!"

It think it would be a welcome and long-overdue addition to the support provided to NeoUsers.

It's something I dabbled with myself once but never got far enough to warrant publication - not even a complete chapter - so I encourage you to continue. It looks very good from where I'm sitting and we'll certainly make use of it in our offices. I know from my short experience of trying just how time-consuming this work is.

Thanks for your generous efforts.

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject:

Excellent Effort! BRAVO!

If you write it, they will ... read? (or maybe not RTFM Crying or Very sad )
"I" will read it. Laughing It's an amazing contribution and your efforts are MUCH appreciated.

I'm sure that many groups of NeoOffice users will read and appreciated your efforts. Thank YOU!

Philip ( you meet the Most AMAZING people on these fora! Wink )

valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:57 am    Post subject:

And what about adding this guide to NeoOffice CD when it will be done?

Valter
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject:

I've downloaded the guide and read some pages. A great work. Thank you… I've already learned a few things.
I've noticed that on page 20 you wrote
Quote:
Choose Tools > Options > NeoOffice or File > Prefernces > NeoOffice

but it's "NeoOffice > Preferences > NeoOffice" instead. Then "Print".
Thanks again, it'll be very helpfull Smile

Jacqueline
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 3:02 pm    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
And what about adding this guide to NeoOffice CD when it will be done?

Valter
Interesting idea. Shocked

+1, if it does not cause other problems

Philip ( Really, RTFM Rolling Eyes )
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject:

I think this is a good idea, too, Peter (and an awful lot of work!) Smile

I briefly noticed there was some unix-related printing cruft in towards the end when I jumped through it.

I also wondered why you used the old-school  (Apple) rather than ⌘ (Command; which appears in the menus and on keyboards) in the keyboard shortcuts?

Smokey

The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: OK

sardisson wrote:
I think this is a good idea, too, Peter (and an awful lot of work!) Smile

I briefly noticed there was some unix-related printing cruft in towards the end when I jumped through it.

I also wondered why you used the old-school  (Apple) rather than ⌘ (Command; which appears in the menus and on keyboards) in the keyboard shortcuts?

Smokey

Thanks to all the above for your responses. This sounds like it is a goer. It is a lot of work, and I don't know how long it will take, but I think it's feasible, given that it took a few days to do the one chapter. If it's worthwhile, the work does not faze me. As I get used to it, I should get more efficient.
I will contact the leader of the OpenOffice.org Authors effort to let him know what I am doing. My reading of the licence suggests that we are fine, but I could be wrong. Anyway, I think it is courtesy to tell them.
The unix stuff is about pdf files and DRM?. To be honest, I need help there: can someone read the last couple of pages and tell me what [if any] of that is related to NeoOffice?
Re: the apple symbol: why? Don't know why: nostalgia, maybe? Smile I must admit I prefer the apple symbol to the prissy command symbol Very Happy Seriously though, that is the sort of advice I need at this stage. Thanks, Smokey.
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject:

I have tried downloading the various downloads and unzipping them and I cannot get anything to really open with anything that resembles a user guide. any suggestions? thanks.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject:

Don't unzipp the file. Remove the extension .zip. You'll get a file named
"NEO_OOo2_chapter2_master2.odt". Neo opens it without any problem.

Jacqueline
K-9
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 5:48 am    Post subject:

Ok - Thank you. I wil try that. How would i know to do this? Is there something i am missing? Is this something endemic to NeoOffice or something?

Thanks - K-9

p.s. it worked! I would have never known to edit the zip out of it....why do you do that? or how does one know to do that?

re: the text itself. Nice work! I find this very nicely written and very clear and cogent and extremely helpful for me a neophyte.

thank you for the text. I would like to have a copy of the complete edition.

:-)))
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:09 am    Post subject:

K-9 wrote:
Ok - Thank you. I wil try that. How would i know to do this? Is there something i am missing? Is this something endemic to NeoOffice or something?
Thanks - K-9
p.s. it worked! I would have never known to edit the zip out of it....why do you do that? or how does one know to do that?
Smile))

I'm always living in "trials and errors" Rolling Eyes And sometimes, it works…
Of course the first time I tried to unzipp the file, and found several folders, files and I was a bit lost. Then I noticed that the file had two extensions : .odt (or .sxw, I don't remember) and .zip. I removed .zip, and got a cool Neo file Very Happy
Happy to have helped you.

Jacqueline
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject:

Looks lovely - the only comment I have is a grammatical one; the abbreviation i.e. (Latin: id est, 'that is') needs its full stops (Yankee: periods) as it's an abbreviation rather than a word. I don't know whether the folk at OpenOffice are responsible for that omission, but I though I'd mention it in any case, pedant that I be.

- padmavyuha
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Id est quod id est

yoxi wrote:
Li.e.[/b] (Latin: id est, 'that is') needs its full stops (Yankee: periods) as it's an abbreviation rather than a word. I don't know whether the folk at OpenOffice are responsible for that omission
- padmavyuha

Hi Padmavyuha. I sympathise. I'm trying to avoid changing all the things that I wouldn't have expressed in quite that way, to conserve energy. However, I have to say that I itched to change the expression "one does this or that" which is used throughout. It becomes very awkward at times, and IMHO the modern way is to use you in most circs. But I soon realised if I started I would have to keep doing it, and it would use up an awful lot of time. My anglocentric education will cause problems with spelling too. maybe later, I can find and replace all the ie's Smile
Peter

Last edited by aussie149 on Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
aussie149
The Merovingian

PostPosted: Sat Feb 03, 2007 6:48 am    Post subject: PDF's

Can somebody please help with PDF's. I haven't touched the last few pages of that sample chapter because it describes I can't seem to find any references to in the NeoOffice version.

With the new PDF Export security tab the user has the following possibilities:
create a PDF document that can be opened only with the correct password, once password-opened the user can do whatever it likes with it (see Only “open password”, no restriction);

create a PDF document that can be opened only with the correct password, but with restricted permissions; for example the document cannot be printed, or any of the selections from 6 to 9 in ( see “open password”, restricted);

create a PDF document that can be opened by anyone, but with restricted permissions; for example the document cannot be printed, or any of the selections.

create a PDF document without restrictions, everything is allowed (see PDF without restriction).

Can anyone tell me whether thsi is a feature in NeoOffice? I can't find it.

P
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7