Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice opens web browser... sometimes
NeoOffice opens web browser... sometimes

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rame
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:40 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice opens web browser... sometimes

Sometimes when I start up NeoOffice, it automatically opens a web browser and takes me to the NeoOffice home page. Is there any way to control this?

It makes me feel uneasy when one program begins starting other programs automatically. I would prefer that NeoOffice did not do this, or at least asked me if I want it to access the web or another program.

Thanks!
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject:

And the answer to your question:
Quote:
Sometimes when I start up NeoOffice, it automatically opens a web browser and takes me to the NeoOffice home page. Is there any way to control this?

Here on the neowiki
Rame
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:21 pm    Post subject:

Thanks. But, I don't understand the described location.

"Create a file named .noshowdonationpage in the /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS folder."

In my Applications directory I have NeoOffice.app. But how is it possible to have a Contents folder below the .app folder...?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject:

NeoOffice.app is actually a special kind of folder (as are many applications these days). If you control-click or right-click on NeoOffice in the Applications folder, you can choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that appears. A Finder window labeled "NeoOffice" will open, containing a single folder named "Contents." Double click on the Contents Folder, and you will get see the MacOSX folder. Just make sure not to move or change anything else while navigating through the contents of NeoOffice.app.

As the wiki article points out, Neo opens your browser to check for patches. If you disable this behavior, make sure you check frequently for patches. The easiest way to do this is to join the NeoUpdate mailing list. E-mails are only sent out when there are patches or new versions.

Lorinda
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject:

So let me get this straight. Everything the original poster has said so far tells me that:

1. They ignored the several bright yellow warnings that say "install the latest patch" when they downloaded NeoOffice

2. When the patch checking code fires up their browser once every 15 days to tell them that they are really should install the latest patch, the user immediately closed the browser window without reading it.

3. Now, they want us to hold their hand so that they won't be bothered by these pesky warnings caused by the fact that they have failed to notice or following any of the previous warnings.

Am I missing something?

Patrick
Rame
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:17 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

Am I missing something?

Patrick

Nope. You are a COMPLETE a$$hole.
Rame
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:20 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
NeoOffice.app is actually a special kind of folder (as are many applications these days). If you control-click or right-click on NeoOffice in the Applications folder, you can choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that appears. A Finder window labeled "NeoOffice" will open, containing a single folder named "Contents." Double click on the Contents Folder, and you will get see the MacOSX folder. Just make sure not to move or change anything else while navigating through the contents of NeoOffice.app.

As the wiki article points out, Neo opens your browser to check for patches. If you disable this behavior, make sure you check frequently for patches. The easiest way to do this is to join the NeoUpdate mailing list. E-mails are only sent out when there are patches or new versions.

Lorinda

Thank you. I didn't know an app could contain a folder. I'll join the mailing list instead.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject:

Rame wrote:

Actually, I'm trying to save from experiencing a crash and loss of your work. Since you the patch checking feature is broken in Patch 7, I know that you didn't have it installed.

So if I'm an asshole for trying to help you avoid experiencing crashing bugs that have already been fixed, then I am proud to be one.

Patrick
Rame
Red Pill

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:47 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Rame wrote:

Actually, I'm trying to save from experiencing a crash and loss of your work. Since you the patch checking feature is broken in Patch 7, I know that you didn't have it installed.

So if I'm an asshole for trying to help you avoid experiencing crashing bugs that have already been fixed, then I am proud to be one.

Patrick

If that was your intention, then I apologize. That certainly wasn't how your post came across.

I keep my computer organized, my critical files backed up, and my applications reasonably up to date. I dislike it when programs take control of other applications without my permission.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject:

Rame wrote:
If that was your intention, then I apologize. That certainly wasn't how your post came across.

I keep my computer organized, my critical files backed up, and my applications reasonably up to date. I dislike it when programs take control of other applications without my permission.

No worries. I tend to be overly dramatic in my posts. Wink

I was very worried that you were missing the latest patch. Many people post after they have suffered a crash and lost work due to a bug that has already fixed.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject:

FYI. Starting with NeoOffice 2.2.1 Early Access Patch 1 (which I released today), the automatic patch checking will open a window within NeoOffice instead of launching your browser.

We used this method in NeoOffice 2.1 until we found that NeoOffice's underlying OOo code disables HTML form buttons and, at that point, we switched back to launching your default browser to display the web page.

Well, the HTML form button problem is still there, but links work so I was able to make some minor adjustments to our web pages so that only links are displayed. This allows NeoOffice to display the patch check web page as a NeoOffice document window. Of course, if you click on any of the links, the link will be loaded in your default web browser but at least the user's browser will not be launched unless the user decides to click on one of the links.

No change has been made to the steps for disabling patch checking so you still use the steps listed in the NeoWiki like before.

Patrick
LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:00 am    Post subject:

(I'm baaaaaaack!)

Thanks Patrick.

It "seems" that some folks are very ... wary of ANYTHING that opens a browser window without asking/prompting-the-user. Sad

With all the Popups I get in Windows (even using SeaMonkey) I can understand why they might be concerned. Seems that Spam, and such, is part of the "price" that we have to pay for the convenience of the Internet. :oops"

Sorry that this makes your efforts to keep users copies of NeoOffice up-to-date.
I know it's a pain-in-the- ... backside Rolling Eyes

THANKS again for ALL YOUR EFFORTS.
Trying to please everybody, or most everybody, or even the majority of NeoOffice user is a never ending task.

Philip ( Loves the Internet, HATES the spam! Mad )
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1