Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice Uploading Old Files, Help
NeoOffice Uploading Old Files, Help

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CKitty
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: NeoOffice Uploading Old Files, Help

I'm running NeoOffice 2.1 on Mac OS X 10.4.9., and I've been running into a problem whenever I try to upload work to Fanfiction.net.

Here are the steps I am taking.

>Open "TBCdrafts" from My Stories folder into NeoOffice
>Highlight and delete old chapter, write new chapter
>Click "save as"
>Save as "TBCdrafts.odt" in Documents, "My Stories" folder
>See file appear in "My Stories" folder
>Quit NeoOffice and "My Stories" folder.

Then I go to Fanfiction.net, log in and try to upload the file onto the site. For some reason, it always uploads the OLD "TBCdrafts", not the one I just saved. I don't understand why it is doing this and it is driving me up the wall. I am sure I am selecting the correct file. When I open the file from "My Stories", it opens as the new, correct document, but whenever I try to upload it somewhere, it brings up the old file. Please help, it's driving me crazy.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject:

I guess I don't understand how this is a NeoOffice problem. NeoOffice does not have any special link to Fanfiction.net's website so, from what I understand, you are saving your edited document locally.

If you reopen the locally saved file, does it have your edits? If so, then most likely your upload is silently failing and you will need to contact FanFaction.net and find out what is broken in their file upload process.

Patrick
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject:

As you are running NeoOffice 2.1; do you have the latest
patch 7 installed?

When you upload your file are you replacing one already on the server wtih the same name "TBCdrafts.odt"?

Edit: pluby got here first; best to follow his instructions
CKitty
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject:

I wasn't sure if it was a problem with NeoOffice or FFN, considering it has been uploading correct documents when I use a PC with Word.

When I open the document from NeoOffice, it is the correct document. I checked what patch I have and I only have 6, so I will install 7. I'll contact FFN as well, but seeing as their support isn't that great, it will probably not be fixed very soon. Rolling Eyes

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: The Patch 7 seems to have fixed the problem, thanks again. Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject:

CKitty wrote:

I think I know what the problem was. I fixed "webdav" support in Patch 7. webdav is the protocol that Apple's iDisk uses to save files to a remote website and my fix will fix most any site that uses webdav.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject:

CKitty wrote:
When I open the file from "My Stories", it opens as the new, correct document, but whenever I try to upload it somewhere, it brings up the old file. Please help, it's driving me crazy.

Unless you have enabled change tracking in your document (it is disabled by default), then the saved TBCdrafts.odt only contains the contents of the file at the time of saving (and not the older chapter). Since you were able to open the new file, with the latest edits, in NeoOffice from your hard drive's "My Stories" folder, it is unlikely that any NeoOffice patch fixed your issue. Instead, there must have been an issue with Fanfiction.net (as Patrick suggested, the upload may have been failing silently - as in without any error message) or the application/browser you were using to upload the file.

Anyway, your issue appears to have fixed itself.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:40 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
CKitty wrote:

I think I know what the problem was. I fixed "webdav" support in Patch 7. webdav is the protocol that Apple's iDisk uses to save files to a remote website and my fix will fix most any site that uses webdav.

Patrick

Nothing in CKitty's post suggests using NeoOffice to upload the file (and actually suggests using another application, probably a browser - [on edit :] and also suggests a manual upload which is not automatically triggered by changes to the file [end of edit]), so unless your fix affects the contents of an .odt document I still believe that a temporary issue with the hosting website is the most likely explanation.

Edit 2 : Looks like I was thinking of another iDisk bug; webdav support doesn't seem to be related to any particular bug officially fixed in Patch 7, so I know know exactly how this change affects NeoOffice.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1