· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.0 / X11 installation on Mac OSX 10.3.3
OOo 1.1.0 / X11 installation on Mac OSX 10.3.3

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 11:43 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.0 / X11 installation on Mac OSX 10.3.3

OK, first off an apology if this has been asked and answered. I've searched but didn't find...

I have this file:
OOo_1.1.0_031006_MacOSX_install_en.tar.gz

Downloaded from here:
http://www.mirror.ac.uk/sites/ny1.mirror.openoffice.org/contrib/MacOSX/

I know nothing about Macs and am trying to help the Graphic Designer at our office to install OOo and X11 on his Mac.

We downloaded X11 from:
http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/apple/x11formacosx.html

Double-clicked on the downloaded file, followed the prompts, waited and everything seemed to go OK. Do we need to do anything with X11 now, or once it's installed will it just work for programs that need it?

Then we double-clicked on the OOo file, extracted it and ran "setup" everything seemed to go right - at least the installation screens were the same as the Windows ones I'm used to and the files got installed into somewhere like:
/users/username/OpenOffice.org/

Now I see all the files I'm used to soffice etc, but I don't know how to start the program. soffice is listed as "unix executable file" under type, but when we double-click it we get an error message saying something like 'there's no program associated to open that type of file' we tried browsing to X11 in Applications, but that didn't work.

Now we don't know whether everything is right or not. Any help will be much appreciated Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:50 pm    Post subject:

If you're new to OOo, you really will want to install the 103GM version first from the ooo103darwingm.dmg file on the mirrors. That will make sure you have all of the other pieces that you need to run OOo, print, get fonts, and the like. It also has a utility called "Start OpenOffice.org" that can help launch the bugger and some documentation to help.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject:

Oh, also of note is that the 1.1.0 version you downloaded is an Alpha version and really wans't tested for full-time usage. It is known to have some printing race conditions and other bugs.

ed
Paul

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject:

Hi Ed,

Thanks for your post.

OPENSTEP wrote:
If you're new to OOo

Not at all - just new to Macs.

I have seen the ooo103darwingm.dmg file before but went for the other one as it appeared to be a "better" option - the windows version certainly is!

So now...
  • Do we have to install the .dmg file, or can we get the version we installed working? Not really bothered about bugs/print problems at this stage, just want to get this installation working.
  • Do we need to do anything with X11

OPENSTEP wrote:
printing race conditions

No idea what this means - don't actually think we'll be doing much (if any) printing.

Thanks BFN,

Paul
Tipton
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 9:13 pm    Post subject:

Paul, I would recommend that you use NeoOffice/J instead of OpenOffice. NeoOffice/J is an OpenOffice implementation for the Mac that uses Java instead of the X Window System for the display. I tried them both for comparison and liked NeoOffice much better. In particular, it uses the Mac native fonts, and in general has a better appearance that your graphic designer friend will definitely appreciate. Furthermore, the app is completely self contained, so installation/deinstallation is very easy. Just double click the dmg to install, and just drag the app icon to the trash to uninstall.
http://www.planamesa.com/neojava/en/index.php

Greg

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:02 am    Post subject:

Thanks Greg,

only just saw your message - haven't visited for a while.

We will try it out in the next couple of weeks Smile

Paul
DPG4450Guy

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 12:10 pm    Post subject: re: NeoOffice/J

PAUL ! ALERT!

"As this is a development project, NeoOffice/J is intended for software engineers and is not yet complete enough for regular users."

If your buddy/client needs a production environment, STAY AWAY from NeoOffice/J.

The X11 version of OpenOffice 1.0.3 is very stable and the X11 environment is virtually native to OS X - after all, it utilizes the Darwin core.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1