· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Updated feature comparison for Neo 2.2.1 vs OOo 2.2
Updated feature comparison for Neo 2.2.1 vs OOo 2.2

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2007 5:11 pm    Post subject: Updated feature comparison for Neo 2.2.1 vs OOo 2.2

I started a page to update the feature comparison for Neo 2.2.1 vs OOo 2.2 vs Office 2004 and added a few things. We need to figure out where to add the Address Book and spell-checker integration, at least; there may be other things I'm not thinking of, too.

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject:

Fr page is born…

Should not "Bitmap printing at > 300 dpi" be removed from the "Still to do "" section? Very Happy (and moved somewhere else)

Jacqueline
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:27 am    Post subject:

I added a sentence and a half to the spellchecker explanation and just took out the 300 dpi thing entirely.

I left the FIXME tag.

best wishes,
Oscar

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject:

Thanks!

I went back and polished some of my changes and Oscar's (not sure if I improved that one or made it worse), and added both spelling and address book as discrete elements in the Neo vs OOo chart.

I think the chart is now up-to-date and accurate, but I left FIXME there so we can let everyone look over the chart for a few days before declaring it fixed Wink

Smokey

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 26, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject:

French speakers, please sync (if necessary) the Fr 2.2.1 Feature Comparison to the English version, move the current Fr Feature Comparison page to 2.1 Feature Comparison, and then move the 2.2.1 Feature Comparison page to Feature Comparison and update the language links.

I'm just too tired after the rest of the 2.2.1 updating to do this one Sad

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:30 am    Post subject:

Sync was done.
Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice is moved to Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1

But I can't move Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.1 to Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice, because this page already exists Question Maybe, I should have deleted this page, but I did not see any way to do that. Sorry. Sad

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:

By moving Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités to Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1, you created a redirect from Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités to Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités. I removed the redirect.

I don't understand how you intend to move Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.1 as the page does not exist ([url=http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/Fr:Comparaison_des_fonctionnalités_de_NeoOffice_2.2.1]link[/url]). Moreover, Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 is not up-to-date: it seems that Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités wasn't kept up-to-date for the 2.1 release (changing 2.0 to 2.1 won't change anything, the contents of the page still refer to Neo 2.0 Aqua Beta 3)…
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

OK I think I figured what's going on. We have a complete set of feature comparison pages named Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités* with a capital F, and some duplicate pages named Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités* with a lowercase f. What a mess…

Edit: I'll proceed to remove the pages with a lowercase f, as they look like they're not up-to-date.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject:

As I can't delete/remove pages, I've redirected all pages with a lowercase f to their "uppercase F" equivalent. The current situation is:

1) Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.1 has the comparison for Neo 2.2.1;

2) Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice has the comparison for Neo 2.1;

3) Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 is empty, but exists.

As Smokey seems to always forget, we can't move a page to a page that already exists; only an admin can do that (I'm sure this has already happened in the past).

Which makes me wonder whether the current procedure isn't overly complicated: wouldn't it be simpler to keep a separate page for each version, and have Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice redirect to the current version? Otherwise, an admin will always be required to make the move as we're always dealing with existing pages…
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject:

Thanks Samwise. It's exactly what occured to me. I was able to move Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice to Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1, but after that I was not able to move Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.1 to Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice.

Jacqueline
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
It's exactly what occured to me. I was able to move Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice to Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1, but after that I was not able to move Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.1 to Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice.

No, thats' not what you did.

You were able to move Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités (lowercase f, without "de NeoOffice") to Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 (lowercase f), because Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 (lowercase f) didn't exist (look at the Recent changes page on the Wiki).

You never actually touched either Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice (uppercase F, with "de NeoOffice") or Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 (uppercase F).
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
As Smokey seems to always forget, we can't move a page to a page that already exists; only an admin can do that (I'm sure this has already happened in the past).

I didn't realize this, but maybe we have hit this snag before. The UI for doing this in the new wiki certainly is different than what it used to be on Jake's server....

Samwise wrote:
Which makes me wonder whether the current procedure isn't overly complicated: wouldn't it be simpler to keep a separate page for each version, and have Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice redirect to the current version? Otherwise, an admin will always be required to make the move as we're always dealing with existing pages…

You know, that's true, but it had never occurred to us (me) in the past. We should do that with the Release Notes page, too.

For now I've done the moves so that French and English page locations are in sync (someone please sync the intro text on the 2.1 and current/2.2.1 pages and remove fixme), but let's see if I can't remember to do what Samwise says in the future Smile

I'll see about cleaning up the lowercase pages later today.

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Samwise wrote:

I didn't realize this, but maybe we have hit this snag before. The UI for doing this in the new wiki certainly is different than what it used to be on Jake's server....

Smokey

sure you can. edit move from page, copy, edit move to page, paste. the move from page, if left blank, will eventually return to the ether.

not graceful, but efficient.

the interface is different, btw, because patrick was able to upgrade to the 1.10 tree of mediawiki.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
sure you can. edit move from page, copy, edit move to page, paste. the move from page, if left blank, will eventually return to the ether

But it won't move the page history to the new page, and you have to create the redirect manually (which isn't difficult though).

sardisson wrote:
I wrote:

For now I've done the moves so that French and English page locations are in sync (someone please sync the intro text on the 2.1 and current/2.2.1 pages and remove fixme), but let's see if I can't remember to do what Samwise says in the future Smile

I don't know about the release notes, but for the feature comparison we could do this now. All you need to do is to move NeoOffice Feature Comparison to NeoOffice 2.2.1 Feature Comparison, and Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice to Fr.Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.2.1 (I think the Italian comparisons aren't up-to-date so you'll want to wait before moving It pages).

In the future, we create a new page for each new version of NeoOffice, paste the contents of the previous page, update it, and when the time comes, change the redirect on the version-agnostic page to link to the new page. The Main page will link to the version-agnostic page, which in turn will redirect to the comparison for the current release (note that all of this can be done by any user)…

sardisson wrote:
I'll see about cleaning up the lowercase pages later today.

Some pages on Wikipedia have been deleted and prevented from being re-created; perhaps you should do this with these pages?
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
No, thats' not what you did.

You were able to move Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités (lowercase f, without "de NeoOffice") to Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 (lowercase f), because Fr:Comparaison des fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 (lowercase f) didn't exist (look at the Recent changes page on the Wiki).

You never actually touched either Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice (uppercase F, with "de NeoOffice") or Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice 2.1 (uppercase F).

OK. I did not notice the lowercase Sad
Maybe I need new glasses, or a bit of rest Rolling Eyes

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1