· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice icon & Leopard
NeoOffice icon & Leopard

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 7:47 am    Post subject: NeoOffice icon & Leopard

I just came across this. What is the current resolution of the NeoOffice ship icon ? Are there any plans to make it "Leopard-friendly" (if it's not already) ?
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:50 am    Post subject:

I talked to Dan (foxcorner) about this in January(?), and he said to get back to him when 10.5 got closer. The ship itself is a vector, iirc, but he'll have to re-create the globe at a larger size (which shouldn't be too hard, just take a bit of time). If Apple had stopped at 256x256, we'd be fine Razz as we have the logo up to 256x256.

Since we are closer now and presumably some people can get their hands on dev tools that will make .icns files that go up to 512x512, I'll ping him again.

Someone please remind me if I haven't reported back in a day or so.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:02 am    Post subject:

I don't see any issue with the current Neo 2.2.1 EAP icons. I booted into the latest Leopard developer seed, turn magnification on in the Dock, and set the Dock icons and magnification to the maximum. After doing that, I see no jaggedness in the NeoOffice (or RetroOffice) Dock icons and I'm using a 1600 x 1200 monitor.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject:

The problem isn't with the Dock, but when using Cover Flow in the Finder.

Note, however, that the iCal icon (see link in my first post) is 128 by 128. 256 by 256 may be fine…
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
Note, however, that the iCal icon (see link in my first post) is 128 by 128. 256 by 256 may be fine…

256 x 256 will be fine as long as you size the Finder window so that the icons are displayed at that size or smaller.

My feeling about this is that putting huge images for every Finder icon is not necessarily a good idea. The memory usage for an image grows exponentially with a proportionate increase in size so moving to 512 x 512 or 1024 x 1024 may look nice, but loading a few of those will probably start causing degraded machine performance if you have less than a couple GB of memory. If the Finder is smart and only caches the most recently used images, the memory load may not be bad, but reloading such large images sure isn't going to make the Finder Cover Flow fast, IMO.

Patrick
djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
256 x 256 will be fine as long as you size the Finder window so that the icons are displayed at that size or smaller.

The RetroOffice icon was mastered in Photoshop at 512px so a 256px or 512px variant could be created easily. However the NeoOffice document icons were mastered at 128px so I would have to scale up the Photoshop files and then remaster them at 512px to remove all the jaggies and horrors.
palb
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 2:34 am    Post subject:

A new icon would be great. Where can I send a proposal?
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:42 am    Post subject:

palb wrote:

Note that this topic is only discussing a possible resolution increase for the current icon, and not the creation of a new one. For several reasons, we are attached to the current "ship" icon and there are no plans to change it...
palb
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
palb wrote:

Note that this topic is only discussing a possible resolution increase for the current icon, and not the creation of a new one. For several reasons, we are attached to the current "ship" icon and there are no plans to change it...

Yes, sorry for that. I was trying to find a mail address or similar and I couldn't find any so I found this thread.

I think you would benefit from a new symbol. The current design is the only thing that makes a great effort loose force. This will especially be noticeable for you when new office applications comes out for the mac. You risk of loosing the current users when the Identity is lagging behind. Sorry for being so blunt. I love Neooffice otherwise.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject:

palb wrote:
I think you would benefit from a new symbol. The current design is the only thing that makes a great effort loose force. This will especially be noticeable for you when new office applications comes out for the mac. You risk of loosing the current users when the Identity is lagging behind. Sorry for being so blunt. I love Neooffice otherwise.

I appreciate your concern, but I am not nearly as worried about this. Why not? The primary reason is that we aren't driven by market share. Instead, we define our goal as providing an alternative to the high-end professional products such as MS Office and Apple iWork at little or no cost. I wrote a an overview of our mission and goals and how we see ourselves in relation to MS and Apple here.

So what happens if you are right and the professional look-and-feel of MS Office and iWork cause a migration of existing NeoOffice users to MS Office or Apple iWork? That isn't really a bad thing. Instead, it merely means that some portion of the high-end of the market was using NeoOffice only as a temporary measure until MS Office or iWork was fit enough for their use. Meanwhile, those that cannot afford $400 or even $80 per machine for these products are likely to continue to use (and some will donate to) NeoOffice and we will use any donations to serve the users that continue to use NeoOffice.

Patrick
palb
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject:

You do a great job. I admire that. It's just that I did a quick design of an icon and I only wanted to see what you think about it – and if you might consider to use it. It's more modern but the sail is still there Smile
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject:

If you can post it somewhere (this forum doesn't handle uploading of images), feel free to link to it here and solicit feedback. If people like it, we can go from there. That is how we got our current icons and splash screens: artists created a design and posted links to their proposed images. Some of them really captured the interest of the NeoOffice community so we adopted them.

Patrick
palb
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject:

Here it is:

http://www.box.net/shared/6vpiq27o9v

(I just realized that the N makes it look like the icon for Netscape)
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject:

Nice colour, but for some reason, if I display the image at the same size as the NeoOffice icon in my dock, it looks like an N in a baby's pram Smile which is odd, because when it's larger it looks more like a crescent moon (seen from near the equator, of course...) - resolution is a funny thing.

You're right, though - there is a definite Netscape effect with the N. It's a good thing that you're making the creative effort, but I don't think you're going to sway us die-hard ship fans. I love that ship icon in my dock, and I personally don't want to see it change. Taste is so subjective, innit?

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject:

Yeah, I appreciate the effort and I don't want to limit it as I know the creative process is anything bug easy. However, since the ship is our organization logo, I'd really like to request that a ship theme be included somewhere in our Dock icon.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2