Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Any roadmap for 1.1.1. GM???
Any roadmap for 1.1.1. GM???

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VN
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:24 am    Post subject: Any roadmap for 1.1.1. GM???

Hi all,

I'm buying a new Mac and just wandering if I'll be able to put 1.1.1 on it. Any news about the release date for a GM version?

Ciao,

VN
lga

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject:

Hello,

The latest Beta of 1.1.1 works pretty well, though I understand that a final release should not be long in coming.

The only caveats with the current beta is :
1/ Install first the release 1.0.3 (which contains all necessary auxiliary programs)
and the install 1.1.1 (which does not)
2/ Dead-key accents on the keyboard do not work and you need to insert the characters from the menus.

Lga.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 9:51 pm    Post subject:

There are some small patches missing and the like, but I'm hoping to get a 1.1.1 available off of an IA installer when I get back to Cali again. I've been making progress with the /usr/sbin/installer stuff but have been held up due to family illness for the past few weeks in NJ and the CDs I need for clean OS partition creation got left in Cali.

Of course, 1.1.1 has already passed us by...check the dev@porting lists for info on 1.1.2. If you need, grab the 1.1.1 Technology Preview release. It's only known problems may be some minor printing issues, the sound issue, the command key patch issue, and need to manually "fondu" the fonts in. But as we speak it's time to d/l 1.1.2 and start yet another build just right after I thought I had all the 1.1.1 patches and build environment right Sad

OOo is just almost too fast of a target for a few folks to keep on top of, even just for trying to make installers Shocked

ed
VN
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 11:59 am    Post subject:

Hi OPENSTEP and lga, many thanks for your answers.

First of all, please note that I'm happy with current 1.0.3. GM install, but I see many posts about problems with Panther and my new Mac will come with 10.3.3 installed. So I was thinking about 1.1.1.

The dead keys issue is a real stopper for me, because I use this function all the time to type in French Sad

I understand OO is moving quickly, but maybe you can decide to keep 1.1.1 and go to GM.

Of course, we are waiting for Neo, but it's another story.

Thanks again.

VN
Rooster
Agent

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: dead keys redundant on Mac

Just thought I'd point out here that dead keys on macs are redundant because the OS has its own implementation for doing accents. To get accents type opt+[vowel or tilde key], then type the vowel that you want the accent on. E.g. accent aigu, type opt-e and you'll see an accent show up with an underscore, then type a vowel. To get accent gràve just type opt-tilde key and then a vowel. On my machine this works with both NeoJ and OOo 1.1.1 (but doesn't seem to work on any other Xwindows program so go figure).

Actually, this implementation is so intuitive I've been trying to mimic it on my linux machine at home but haven't managed to get it quite yet.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 9:19 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...AFAIK I think 1.1.1 is now a moot issue. On the dev@porting list kevin seems to have moved onto 1.1.2. So I guess I might as well scrap my 1.1.1 work and start grabbing and patching the 1.1.2 source...

Sigh.

As a volunteer it's really no fun doing "maintenance", espeically with this many releases Sad

ed
lga

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 10:33 am    Post subject:

Quote:
Rooster

Just thought I'd point out here that dead keys on macs are redundant because the OS has its own implementation for doing accents. To get accents type opt+[vowel or tilde key], then type the vowel that you want the accent on.

Well, I happen to just be very much used to the French keyboard, and I am not going to try to learn a new (actually, quite old) method to write accented characters. Non-working dead keys on my keyboard is a show-stopper for me and for about all french people. Changing keyboard/input methods is painful. Once upn a time, I used to have on my desk both a AZERTY and a QWERTY keyboards. The experience is, shall we say, difficult.

Rgds,

LLga.
Rooster
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:53 am    Post subject: not so fast....

My sympathes go out to you, its true that new keyboards do take some getting used to, and even then you still make mistakes. Good luck getting dead keys working, you could probably get X11 to use them without too much trouble. However, if you own a mac and using the qwerty keyboard, learning this weird implementation of Apple's will take less time than inserting accents from a menu!

Besides, what is wrong with the French (AZERTY) keyboard?? Under the international pane of the System preferences I can set things up so that I can switch back and forth between US and french keyboards on my mac with only pressing cmd-space, which is certainly more convenient than having two keyboards on the desktop, although its very confusing sometimes to remember which keyboard I'm set to (and I hit cmd-space sometimes by accident).

I suggest that before you say that you aren't going to learn a new implementation I would look a little closer at what Apple has done to accomodate other languages besides US english and then decide. I understand perfectly well that Apple can be annoying when they change major issues with each incremental release (*cough* Panther), but OS X really does have a great way to deal with non-American keyboards and languages.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1