NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:19 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
royalguard11 wrote:
The extension that's used at Wikipedia is Cite.php, and there's also a guide there.

Thanks!

Jake, can you look into this?

Smokey

I can install this in the neowiki-test server if you want to test this out. If it meets your needs, we can put it into the production neowiki server.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject:

Patrick, that would be very helpful Smile

Smokey

Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 4:15 am    Post subject:

just a comment on the front page. i think X11 and retro should get equal billing. since NeoLight is no longer availble as a separate download, it can get moved into the NeoOffice section.

just my two cents.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
just a comment on the front page. i think X11 and retro should get equal billing. since NeoLight is no longer availble as a separate download, it can get moved into the NeoOffice section.

just my two cents.

I would go on step further: replace the NeoLight section with a bullet or link in the NeoOffice section. NeoLight has been out for a long time now so it probably doesn't need such huge billing on the front page. Also, we'll have to add Leopard Quick Look support somewhere so why not treat them both as key features of NeoOffice?

If we do the above, then we could expand the new Retro/OOo section and make it a "alternatives for Mac OS X users who prefer X11" section. We can list both RetroOffice and OOo X11 as two alternatives with a short list of key differences between the two and download links to both.

BTW, I am working on the RetroOffice web pages right now so here are the key differences that I see:

- RetroOffice includes experimental support for MS Office 2007 Word, Excel, and PowerPoint documents from the odf-converter project.
- RetroOffice includes VBA and linear regression support for Calc documents from Novell's ooo-build project
- RetroOffice includes native Mac OS X Spellchecker support (note: this is disabled if you xhost RetroOffice to another machine)
- RetroOffice included native Mac OS X Address Book support
- RetroOffice includes NeoOffice's iDisk and remote file system fixes
- RetroOffice includes the NeoLight Spotlight plugin
- RetroOffice includes the NeoPeek Leopard Quick Look plugin

Does that help simplify things? Or have I just made it messier?

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject:

FWIW, I wonder whether the following statement:

NeoWiki wrote:
RetroOffice is being made available because there continues to be a small group of technical users who use X11 apps on their Macs as part of their daily work and because OpenOffice.org Mac OS X (X11) is effectively being discontinued.

is a bit premature? I mean, there's no doubt the Mac porting team is going to discontinue OOo/X11 in favor of Aqua, but judging by the logs of their IRC meetings, X11 will still be supported for 2.3 and 2.3.1 releases, and will stop in 2008 (starting with version 2.4). Maybe we should just add a note?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
FWIW, I wonder whether the following statement:

NeoWiki wrote:
RetroOffice is being made available because there continues to be a small group of technical users who use X11 apps on their Macs as part of their daily work and because OpenOffice.org Mac OS X (X11) is effectively being discontinued.

is a bit premature? I mean, there's no doubt the Mac porting team is going to discontinue OOo/X11 in favor of Aqua, but judging by the logs of their IRC meetings, X11 will still be supported for 2.3 and 2.3.1 releases, and will stop in 2008 (starting with version 2.4). Maybe we should just add a note?

This is a good point and this is really only a potential side benefit of releasing RetroOffice. The primary reason that I'm going to put on the RetroOffice website is that it allows NeoOffice testers and suppport volunteers to determine if core application bugs in NeoOffice are due to bugs in the underlying OpenOffice.org code, bugs in Novell's ooo-build code, or bugs in NeoOffice's code.

If and when the OOo volunteers follow through on their promise to drop OOo X11 builds, we can add back the above wording. It seems crazy for OOo to drop their only fully working product before their new Aqua one is fully working and stable, but maybe they think the OOo X11 product is holding them back? In any case, Ed and I generally don't base any of our development plans on OOo's as we've found their schedules to be highly fluid. Wink

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:03 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If and when the OOo volunteers follow through on their promise to drop OOo X11 builds, we can add back the above wording.

So you agree that it's a bit too early to say it's discontinued?

pluby wrote:
It seems crazy for OOo to drop their only fully working product before their new Aqua one is fully working and stable, but maybe they think the OOo X11 product is holding them back?

I understand that they expect OOo Aqua to have reached "Beta" status by the time OOo will release 2.4:

shaunmcdonald wrote:
I heard from ericb2 that he was that we wouldn't need to release an X11 version from the start of next year. i.e. 2.4, as the Aqua version would be working good enough

Also, it appears that Hamburg will only be testing Aqua builds after 2.3:

sunrayjogi wrote:
won't test after 2.3 any X11 on Mac OS X port anymore

http://wiki.services.openoffice.org/wiki/Log_Mac_Meeting_18_July_2007

The more recent meetings don't seem to have any interesting information on their X11 support plans, so this is pretty much current.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
So you agree that it's a bit too early to say it's discontinued?

Yes. They still have plenty of time to change their plans.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject:

OK. I commented out this section on the NeoWiki.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject:

royalguard11 wrote:
The extension that's used at Wikipedia is Cite.php, and there's also a guide there.

FYI. I have installed the Cite extension in our NeoWiki test server so that you can try it out. Note that you will need to enter "neowikitest" for both the name and password when to access this URL.

Once you verify that it works and doesn't mess anything up, I can add this extension to the production server.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
FYI. I have installed the Cite extension in our NeoWiki test server so that you can try it out. Note that you will need to enter "neowikitest" for both the name and password when to access this URL.

Once you verify that it works and doesn't mess anything up, I can add this extension to the production server.

If someone wants to mark up the Feature Comparison page on the test server using Cite to test stuff, go ahead; otherwise I'll try to get to it in the next day or so.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject:

I've tested this in the first section of [url=http://neowiki-test.neooffice.org/index.php/Fr:Comparaison_des_Fonctionnalités_de_NeoOffice]Fr:Comparaison des Fonctionnalités de NeoOffice[/url] (neowiki-test). I've discovered the following:

-- the <references /> tag must be placed outside of the table, otherwise the footnotes will show up at the top of the section;

-- I've tried Wikipedia's instructions about citing a footnote more than once (here), which claims that
Code:
Killer feature … {{Y}}<ref name=one>Reference text</ref> … {{N}}<ref name=one></ref>

should work, but I get an error. To make it work, I had to use
Code:
Killer feature … {{Y}}<ref name=one>Reference text</ref> … {{N}}<ref name=one>foo</ref>

instead.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 1:17 pm    Post subject:

Can we have multiple <references />? Or will we have to have all the notes at the end of the, after all the tables (as opposed to 1 set per table)?

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:17 pm    Post subject:

You can have multiple <references /> tags, but there is a problem.

Apparently, the <references /> tag will display all footnotes created up to its introduction, so if you have 6 footnotes in one table and 5 footnotes in the next table, the first tag will display the first 6 footnotes after the first table, but the second tag will display all 11 footnotes after the second table Sad
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 9:15 pm    Post subject:

So maybe I am missing the problem, but I sense that we are trying to use the Cite extension because we want a full-featured footnote module in NeoWiki.

It seems to me that we only have a few pages with footnotes and each of those pages only have a handful of footnotes, maybe a possible solution is to just simply replace all of the "***" with something liike "Note 1", "Note 2", etc.

Or is my low-tech approach missing something?

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3