· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - 10.2.6 & "Start OpenOffice.org" = "Unexpe
10.2.6 & "Start OpenOffice.org" = "Unexpe

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
18thTomorrow

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:19 pm    Post subject: 10.2.6 & "Start OpenOffice.org" = "Unexpe

Hello OOo community,
First of all, thanks for all your efforts on this wonderful program. I am a firm believer in open-source, free software--people like you make the world a better place to be. (Someday I hope to be able to contribute to an open-source project...after I learn a bit more about programming...) I know my way around unix a little bit but I am not a power user. (Another thing I want to learn more about!)

I hope you can help me. I am unable to run OOo. I have seen this great program in action and I want to have it for myself! Here's my system specs:

-350 MHz PowerMac G3
-512 MB RAM
-OS 10.2.6

I was able to succesfully install OOo 1.0.3, XFree86,/XDarwin, dlcompact, Ghostscript, fondue, and libfreetype. I am the only user on my computer. Logged in under my username (it has admin privileges) when I click on "Start OOo" it bounces in the tray for awhile, then "unexpectedly quits". I do not ever see a splash screen.

If I click on the tray-icon for XDarwin, XDarwin starts and runs fine.

Is there a way I can start OOo without using the Start application?

Thank you very much! Any other information you need please let me know.
Britt
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 5:18 am    Post subject:

If you start up XDarwin you can start OO.oX11 from the XTerm. At the command line type

/<path of installation>/soffice

This should start up the application. Just so you know, though, it will take a little bit, esp on a 350.

-j
18thTomorrow

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 1:07 pm    Post subject: More Help Please... :oops:

Hi again,
I feel like a moron, but I can't get it to work that way either. All I get is a "command not found" message. I have made sure I am in the right directory, etc.

So, I did some updating to my OS and I can now get Start OpenOffice.org to work. However, this time I get a message that says "Could not find OpenOffice.org". I have read all the documentation that came with it just to be sure I wasn't missing anything obvious, and I did everything the documentation said to do, but to no avail. I also downloaded the newest version of S OOo, just to be sure.

Thanks for the assistance
Britt
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:26 pm    Post subject: Re: More Help Please... :oops:

18thTomorrow wrote:
Hi again,
I feel like a moron, but I can't get it to work that way either. All I get is a "command not found" message. I have made sure I am in the right directory, etc.

So, I did some updating to my OS and I can now get Start OpenOffice.org to work.

Although I am a little suprized that "Start OpenOffice.org" crashed, I believe your problem was caused by your original System installation missing the critical BSD subsystem required by "Start OpenOffice.org", and the update restored (the latest versions of) the BSD subsystem - the BSD subsystem is installed by default, but you can customize an install and deselect that package.

The next version of "Start OpenOffice.org" (not yet released) checks for this condition specifically and gives you a nice user friendly message (rather than perhaps crashing as you experienced).

18thTomorrow wrote:
However, this time I get a message that says "Could not find OpenOffice.org". I have read all the documentation that came with it just to be sure I wasn't missing anything obvious, and I did everything the documentation said to do, but to no avail. I also downloaded the newest version of S OOo, just to be sure.

There a few specific things you can check - I'm sure you will find more suggestions in these online forums.

Launch the Terminal application, and type the following :
Code:
cat .sversionrc
defaults read org.OpenOffice.Start

Report the displayed information here, including any error messages.

From the ".sversionrc" file you should confirm that your OOo installation is in the correct place (and you have not moved or renamed the folder).

This will do for a start.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1