NeoOffice :: View topic - Troubleshooting Tips
Troubleshooting Tips

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Troubleshooting Tips

We've been referring a lot to these pages recently, and I always find myself wanting to refer to a specific item that's not easily findable within the major sections.

Is anyone opposed to adding some sort of headers to the individual tips/items within the bigger sections, so that we can link directly to them more easily?

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject:

Sounds good.

Best wishes,
Oscar

LemonAid
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 12:28 am    Post subject:

+1

I refer to that page lots too!

Philip ( Have you check the Trouble Shooting Wiki page? Wink )

jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:08 am    Post subject:

+1
Seems to be a good idea.

Jacqueline
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject:

gets you my 2¢ Wink
ROFL (and kicking) - (OK I haven't had coffee yet)

It's a great idea!
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:31 pm    Post subject:

Boy...I started this tonight, but it's time-consuming (I'm also trying to clean up some of the items; maybe that's my problem Wink).

I almost think we should re-organize the page a little, too:

* Have a "Problems" section at the top of the page, which contains all of the current (H2) headers--all the the problem categories that had headers before I started working

* Have a "Solutions" (or "Troubleshooting Tasks") section below that, which lists all of the "solution" items (things I'm currently giving headers to), perhaps sub-divided into general areas (Java, fonts, staying updated, etc.) for our own sanity

* Then, the items in the problems section are links to the particular steps/solutions we describe in the second section (particularly since a number of the solutions apply to several different problems; we only want to have to write and maintain that solution one place Wink)

The user can (more) easily find their problem at the top of the page (no scrolling to find the problems) and then jump to the various solutions. (Also, if the page becomes too large in the future, it's easier to split into multiple pages: 1 for the Problems, 1 for Solutions:Fonts, 1 for Solutions:General, etc.)

If it's not clear (I'm tired), I've quickly mocked up the proposal on the Talk:Troubleshooting Tips page, so maybe it's more clear there?

Smokey

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:59 pm    Post subject:

Very Interesting... Shocked

It looks like a good start. I like the logic process you are laying out.
It looks like there is a LOT of items that will be updated/listed.

Plus, I like the idea of having standard "solution sets" links.
That way you can reuse previous solutions/answers.

GREAT Work. It does look like a lot of work but I think it will be ... worth it.

Another whole section will have to be added/expanded - due to having Apple native and/or Neo. sigh!

Thank you to taking up this ... herculean task! Rolling Eyes

Philip (which of the 12 herculean tasks is this? Wink )
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 11:46 pm    Post subject:

Sardisson -
Very nice work!
And very much appreciated! The redesign will lend itself in appearance to be less overwhelming for new users sent to read-up on what to do generally; and being outlined so clearly will be appreciated by the more savvy user who can jump directly to an item specific topic, that much more quickly.

And as you stated: authors will not have to duplicate text; just link to sections already in existence; and planning for the future - the new format is more easily broken down as more notes are added and as technology changes—that's a given!

Very Happy
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:22 am    Post subject:

I like it, too. My one suggestion would be a brief explanation about how the page "works" at the very top....

I was going to offer a suggested wording, but I'm not getting one to gel at the moment. Too soon since I got up, I guess. And I can't have coffee any more. Sad

Lorinda

Last edited by Lorinda on Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject:

Yes, it's very handy. Thanks Smokey.
I started the Fr translation. Not yet complete. Time (+ coffee) consuming Smile

Jacqueline
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:46 am    Post subject:

I will proceed with first adding the small headings and then the reorganization this weekend.

Hopefully when this is all done, the page will be more useful (and less intimidating) to everyone. (I also hope things will be clear enough that we can remove the {{fixme}} tag, too.)

Bon courage to Jacqueline and the other translators...it feels like a Herculean task when you're in the middle of working on it!

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 6:38 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Bon courage to Jacqueline and the other translators...it feels like a Herculean task when you're in the middle of working on it!

Smokey

Merci Smokey Smile Le courage, ça va Wink
French update done. Hopefully without too many typos, spelling mistakes Rolling Eyes etc.
YOU did the Herculean work!

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:15 am    Post subject:

I removed the "Quit NeoOffice before applying a patch" section from the Fr page, because if you try to install a patch without quitting NeoOffice, you get a warning message from the installer: "The patch can't be installed, because NeoOffice is running", or something like that. I don't remember the exact wording in French, and I never saw this message in English… But it's the meaning.

Jacqueline
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject:

I've finished the transformation...it's better, I think. The page still feels too big to me Sad

I apologize; I really should have committed the changes tonight in steps (the Problems section, then the re-organization of the Troubleshooting/Solutions section) to make it easier to follow the changes when translating Sad

Smokey

Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:11 am    Post subject:

Don't worry Smokey.
I stumbled a little, but I think that it's good now. Seems that I could catch up Wink
Yes the page is big and likely to get bigger and bigger and bigger Smile

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2