Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Creating styles in NeoOffice
Creating styles in NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RuneN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:38 am    Post subject: Creating styles in NeoOffice

Hi!

I've been using Office 2004, but I don't like it and wanted to try NeoOffice. In Office 2004 I have created some styles and when I press the drop down style menu only the styles I have created is showing. However I can't remember how I did this.

So, what I want to know is: How do I create a bunch of styles that I want to use and make NeoOffice only show them when I use the style selector drop down box?

Hope you can understand what I mean Very Happy
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject:

There are several articles in Neowiki about creating and using styles; have a look at this series of articles.

Hope that helps.

Jacqueline
RuneN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot. I tried searching NeoWiki for "Styles" but I found nothing. Don't know what I did wrong. I'll try and look at the link you gave me and see if I can figure it out.

Thanks Very Happy
RuneN
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject:

Okay, so now I've created the styles I want to use and made a template. Still one thing I just can't figure out: How do I change the list of styles in the upper left corner? It doesn't show all the styles I have made, and it shows some default styles which I never use.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject:

When you create your template, you have to add the new styles in the Styles and Formatting:
Select the word or set of words with the new style, open the
Format > Styles and Formatting window.
Click on the the last icon on the right (with a little green cross) and choose New Style from Selection. Give your style a name. Click OK.
Choose File > Templates > Save…
Select the My Templates category. In the new template field give your file a name. Cliick OK.
When you want to use that template, choose File > New >Templates and Documents. Clik on Templates, then double-click on My Templates, choose your template and click Open.

Your styles appear in the drop-down menu in the top left corner.

I hope I'm clear enough Wink

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject:

I'm not sure that Jacqueline's approach will get exactly what you want, although it should get your custom styles in the style selector drop down.

You can click on the Styles and Formatting icon on the toolbar; in the window that appears, there is a drop-down at the very bottom. Choose "custom" and you will only see the styles you have defined. Unfortunately, I don't know how to set it so this is the default choice in the drop down.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 12:43 am    Post subject:

I believe that the only way to have the customized styles in the drop down is to create a template with those styles, and to use it to create new documents. Then the styles appear in the drop down.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:

I think you're right Jacqueline. But I can't get the drop-down on the toolbar to show only my custom styles for the temlate and not the others. (Hmm....I suppose if I deleted all the presets I didn't want; Not sure I want to go there).

I can get a list with only custom styles in the Styles and Formatting window.

I was tired enough yesterday I wasn't clear in my earlier post. RuneN (and the rest of us) will have to decide whether the most important thing is getting custom styles in the style drop-down (and living with preset styles being there as well) or having a list of only custom styles, which can be found in the Styles and Formatting menu.

Unless I'm missing something.

My apologies if I sounded critical of your suggestion. It isn't what I intended.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 5:32 am    Post subject:

Sorry Lorinda, maybe I misunderstood the question. I never thought that you were "critical". Don't worry about that Very Happy
And everyone can criticize my suggestions, no problem.

I don't find a way to get only the custom styles in the drop-down either. Leaving the Styles and Formatting window open is a solution. But I don't like very much all these windows which clutter the screen Wink

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 6:20 am    Post subject:

Well, I dock the Styles and Formatting Window and then use the icon on the toolbar to open it only when needed, which helps with the window clutter. I use the drop-down menu, too. It all depends on what I'm doing.

I'm glad you didn't take my comments the wrong way. I know that on forums like these it's very easy for misundertandings/misinterpretations to happen, given that we don't have the benefit of tone of voice, eye contact, or body language in communicating. So I try to be quick to clarify my intentions if I think my comments might be taken the wrong way.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1