Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo/X11 handbooks?
OOo/X11 handbooks?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
higg0008
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 7:46 pm    Post subject: OOo/X11 handbooks?

I was just curious whether there are any handbooks covering the OOo/X11 combination--preferably with some or all of the $$$ going back into the OOo/NeoOffice project.

I do know that the OOo site has a few books and other references listed, although it looks like they are more geared toward those migrating from M$Office on the x86 platform. Or maybe those books are good for everyone using OOo, even us Mac OS X people? Anyone have opinions on the matter?

I'm really excited about the promise of open-source software, but I'm finding the learning curve a little bit more vertical than usual. Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 9:56 pm    Post subject:

Well, unfortunately there aren't really any manuals that are Mac OS X specific. Since the software is very cross platform in its X11 incarnation, however, the good thing is that the documentation for Windows and Linux applies to learning the OS X build as well Smile

One of the places I started was by looking through the Sun StarOffice documentation. It's available as a free download from their website:

http://docs.sun.com/db/coll/999.2?q=staroffice

That's for SO 6.0 (= OOo 1.0.x). For OOo 1.1.x you'll want to search for SO 7.0 documents.

Other books I've seen around are the OpenOffice.org Resource Kit and the StarOffice 6.0 Companion (which also mostly applies to OOo). You can probaly find both of them in your local Borders to browse through them before purchase. Those are the two that I hear most frequently recommended.

None of them really do 'donations' to the project, at least no donations I'd ever see... Wink

ed
higg0008
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for your reply and advice.

I thought I'd check here first to see if the OOo team had written any books or anything (e.g. a Dummies-type book).
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject:

Heh. Know anyone in O'Reilly? Although I've spoken at their conferences they've thus far denied requests to author an OOo solutions book for OS X. Too specific of a topic for their library of books (go figure).

Sh*t, you'd think I'd at least be able to try to get some measly royalties off of a book deal or something. All I get is some furking free beer... Shocked

ed <--- no free beer tonight...

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2004 4:25 am    Post subject:

ed

Now, if you got a firkin of beer … Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

al
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2004 8:40 pm    Post subject:

Hmm...would that roughly be about 5 cases? Wink

ed <--- 10 gallon hat man
amaloney
Captain

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2004 9:31 am    Post subject:

I'm not sure how much is in a case.

If your hat holds 10 imperial gallons … 1 firkin = 9 imperial gallons = approx 41 litres = 0.5 kilderkin

Seriously, I really appreciate all the work you guys do.
I have now switched completely from Office v.X to OOo 1.1.2.
For my needs it's great, and greater with each new upgrade!

For me, X11 works pretty well.

My major need is to learn not to close the last document to avoid having to restart.

However with the included Begin_OOorg and the faster startup time, it is less of a problem.

Here's lookin' at ya!
Cheers!

al
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1