Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Yay trinity works through an iPhone!
Yay trinity works through an iPhone!

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 6:41 pm    Post subject: Yay trinity works through an iPhone!

Slow tapping out messages, but it works nontheless. Looks like the cookies are all happy Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:16 pm    Post subject:

How long before NeoOffice for iPhone? Next week, right? Razz

Smokey

The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject:

But I have to download the user's guide? Is it that difficult to manufacture a CD with the box?

I want double tap zoom to keep zooming in, I must be doing something wrong; the pinch zoom works fine for continuous zoom.

I can't drag/drop individual songs onto my iPhone like I do my iPod? Oh if only I didn't have to wait for the user manual to download Smile

Activation was damn quick. And Cingular finally got my name spelled right after 5 years.

ed
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:22 pm    Post subject:

Nope, many reviewers are saying it's not really like an iPod yet because you can't drag-and-drop tunes or vids straight onto it. Still... some of us have to wait for it to reach Europe before we get the privelege of paying twice as much for it Confused

- padmavyuha
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:06 am    Post subject:

Well, the webkit on it with "resolution" (or more precisely Zoom) independence needs some work. Zooming in on the index page, for example, results in the bolded titles of some forums being in a font that is nearly twice as large as others. In Safari on Mac it looks fine. If the point is to make things that look fine in Safari render properly for iPhone they have some way to go.

Still, what is working is impressive. The speed of the browser feels comprable to a G4 over a wireless network. Of course edge will be slow; the important thing is that they did deliver a browser that's compliant enough with javascript and cookies to support phpBB and our custom wonk ass code.

The music syncing is a total PITA compared to a real iPod. It requires use of a playlist to transfer music. If someone's primary focus is music, get an iPod or a Zune for the short term. I suspect it'll be rectified in the future. My iPod mini battery was dying, so I needed something new anyway; bummer about the limitations of sync-only.

The iChat-esque SMS interface is addictive for me, esp. as my previous phone didn't even keep track of who I sent what message to.

The browser is awesome, even with the limitations.

The screen is nice and sharp, but people who need larger fonts will definitely have a problem.

It really needs to open up apps so I can develop a Jot-like thumb gesture language for input. The keyboard is not bad, but it's nowhere near as effective as the old-school keypad predictive input on my 5 year old nokia. That's kind of sad. That may be years of use speaking, however.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 12:20 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
How long before NeoOffice for iPhone? Next week, right? Razz

No embedded Java VM, apparently. Google's javascript only stuff may work, but there's definitely nothing coming from us Very Happy

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:31 am    Post subject:

oooh the tabbed browsing is slick. YouTube needs bandwidth even beyond what 3g will prob. provide. Little magnifying glass places things offscreen, some engineer needs to learn to respect screen bounds.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:36 am    Post subject:

Accelerometer rotation nonfunctional if a popup menu's contents are open in landscape view

Time to put new toy away and go to sleep Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject:

Heh. You also can't fast forward/back within songs in the iPod music play mode, you can only skip to the next or previous song. There goes my ability to skip-search within all my single track LP, earlier opera CD, and RadioShark recordings. Come on; that's lame. Fast-forward and rewind were even on 8 tracks, IIRC.

iPhone is a fun toy. It can probably replace a basic cell phone at this point in time, but it needs some serious work if it's to replace a tape casette walkman, much less an iPod.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject:

Aha! There it is; you need to tap the screen again to bring it up. Sometims these hidden interfaces are frustrating; I never enjoyed right-click driven apps either Smile Strange how it's one step away unlike the click wheel of the iPods or just about any other music device.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject:

Still haven't gone to sleep ? Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject:

How can I! It's iPhone! Annoying dancing banana

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject:

So you've given $500/600 to Apple, and will have to give AT&T $60 or more each month for the next two years. And now you can't find sleep Twisted Evil
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject:

haha Smile I guess we all have our toys. In reality I was already on Cingular, and with their recent price raises for US SMS the plan wound up being a wash. Now at least it might be worth the money... Edge really doesn't seem all too slow. But man, accents on the keyboard will be intriguing.

ed
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject:

Price raises ? I'm glad in not in the US then.

Really, I had a look at AT&T's website, and it looks their first plan starts at $39.99. It seems a lot compared to my $15 plan, although it does include 450 voice minutes. But I probably wouldn't use them all anyway; it's too bad they don't have any cheaper plan for people who use their phones less and don't want to use the prepaid options ...
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2