Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - To Base and Back Again Updates
To Base and Back Again Updates

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: To Base and Back Again Updates

I've done some more work on the Establishing Relationships article in the To Base and Back Again series.

I added some SQL code to the instructions, and using the "pre" tags messed up the numbering of the steps in the unique constraint section. Is there a way to fix this or a better way to format the code?

And I have to say thank heavens for the OOo Base forums. There is no way I could be doing this without the wealth of knowledge there. I am hoping that OOo eventually adds an SQL wizard to Base like the formula wizard in Calc. Otherwise one must either learn SQL (a daunting task to my mind) or rely on help from the OOo Base forums.

Lorinda
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:56 am    Post subject:

You probably want to use the preBox template and mimic what I did in the "test your JVM" section of Troubleshooting Tips.

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject:

Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Annoying dancing banana
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 11:45 am    Post subject:

Smile

I've never been the recipient of the dancing banana before Wink

In the old days, it used to be possible to do that without wacky templates, but then a MediaWiki upgrade broke it at some point. In the midst of the great re-org of the Troubleshooting Tips page, I happened to think of trying some stuff, which became the preBox template. It's not perfect, but it works Smile

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:01 am    Post subject:

The wiki page Using a List Box in a Subform needs to be deleted.

I've been writing these articles as I work through each step (do a step, shift to the wiki page, write the step, return to Neo, etc.), and mid-way through the process on that page I discovered that:
-I need a combo box, not a list box in that spot AND
-You can't do it that way

I've added the correct process to the article on Combo boxes that is part of the series.

But since I'm not a Wiki Admin, I can't delete the page. So if Smokey or Jake could help me out, I'd appreciate it.

Also, I'm horrid at proofreading my own writing. If someone had the time and interest and wanted to proof those articles--and tell me if they make sense--I'd appreciate it.

If not, I'll try to come back and proofread them later. I do a somewhat less horrid job of proofreading my own writing if I let it "sit" for a while and come back to it.

Thanks,

Lorinda

Edit: Here's the To Base and Back Again main page link for willing proofreaders.
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject:

Deleted Wink

I'm the same way with proofreading Wink At some point I want to learn about Base, but I don't think I'll have the time to go through it anytime soon Sad

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for deleting the page.

In terms of the proofreading, I understand about time limitations. I've dashed off several articles in the last few days, but that will probably be it for a while again, as I should really be working on some other projects. But it's so much more fun to work on one that's not on my "have to" list! Very Happy

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for all this work Lorinda.

I'm translating the Establishing Relations article and I've a problem:

I tried to create a unique constraint as you describe it, but I get an error message:
Code:
1: S1000 General error java.lang.NullPointerException in statement [alter table "Oiseaux" add constraint "uq_NomAng" unique ("NomAnglais")]

Oiseaux is the name of the table. This table contains a field "NomAnglais". Probably I missed something somewhere, but I don't understand the message.

Thanks.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:56 pm    Post subject:

Thanks, Jacqueline. It is a lot of work, but I'm having fun. Hopefully I'll have a usable database when this is all done.

One thing I've discovered is that the error messages in Base are in a language all their own, practically indecipherable to mere mortals. I'm not sure what the error message means, either.

I would start, though, by checking the data in your Oiseaux table. I'm wondering if maybe you've got a record where there is no entry for the NomAnglais. (otherwise known as a null).

By the way, I'm going to add a section to the Establishing Relations article. It will be about creating a unique index for the NomAglais field. It is not strictly necessary to create a unique index when you create a unique constraint, but I've recently learned that the unique index will (apparently) help avoid accidentally entering a identical data into a unique-constrained field in two or more records.

Did that make any sense? I told my husband today that I had solved a combo box problem I was having, and he asked me how I solved it. When I rattled off the explanation (involving not having access to the combo box wizard and needing to use SQL), he looked at me like I was speaking an alien language.

I'll try to get that extra section added tonight if possible.

Oh, by the way, I can provide you with the database file I'm using if you like, or just some test data for the Oiseaux file.

Lorinda
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject:

Aha! I went back and looked at my articles, after confirming that you were using the AOU list in the French article.

I left out a step in the "Creating a Table from a Spreadsheet" article.

I forgot to mention that the rows with empty (null) cells in the English Name column need to be deleted. I've now added that step on that page.

Prepping the file is the one thing I did before I started writing the Wiki articles, so that little step slipped my mind. Sorry about that. Embarassed Since them I've been writing as I go.

The existing articles will probably still be adjusted as I keep working, as I may run across things I should have done differently, etc.

Once the tutorial is "all" written, I'll add a "handbook TOC" box listing all the articles, and maybe organzing them a little better than they currently are on the main page for the tutorial. (For example, there will eventually be several articles discussing various things to add to the forms, etc.).

Thanks for all your work, too, Jacqueline.

Lorinda

Edit: fixed a typo.

Last edited by Lorinda on Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject:

I finished the additions to the Establishing Relationships page.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject:

Thanks a lot Lorinda for your help.

1)
Quote:
I would start, though, by checking the data in your Oiseaux table. I'm wondering if maybe you've got a record where there is no entry for the NomAnglais. (otherwise known as a null).

Yes, I have several records with no entry.

2)
Quote:
Oh, by the way, I can provide you with the database file I'm using if you like, or just some test data for the Oiseaux file.

Yes, yes please!!!! Just the Excell file ready for use. I'll change the English names for French ones.
I believe that you have my email address, if not PM me.

Thanks again.

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject:

I deleted all the lines with no entry in the NomAnglais field and it worked Lorinda.
"Commande exécutée avec succès"
Quote:
Thank you, thank you, thank you!! Annoying dancing banana

Now You are the recipient of the dancing banana Very Happy

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 8:56 am    Post subject:

Lorinda,

I've two questions:

1) Is not a "Location" field missing in the description of the Sightings table (Designing the Database "On Paper")? In the "Establishing Relationships" you mention such a field in the relationship between Locations and Sightings tables.

2) I presume that you plan to add a "Creating the Combo Box" section in "Using Combo Boxes in a form"?

All seems to be OK. I only fixed a few minor typos. Thanks again for these tutorials Very Happy

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 11:12 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:

1) Is not a "Location" field missing in the description of the Sightings table (Designing the Database "On Paper")? In the "Establishing Relationships" you mention such a field in the relationship between Locations and Sightings tables.

This was a "typo" on my part; The Locations table is related to the Field Trips table, not the Sightings table. Thanks for catching it. I have corrected two places where the error occurs on the "Establishing Relationships" page; let me know if there are more.

jgd wrote:

2) I presume that you plan to add a "Creating the Combo Box" section in "Using Combo Boxes in a form"?

The info on creating the Combo box is already there, although the section names didn't use the term "creating." I've changed them. Let me know if you think something is still missing.

Thanks for fixing the typos, as well as catching my errors. Thanks, too, of course, for translating the pages.

Lorinda
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4