NeoOffice :: View topic - To Base and Back Again Updates
To Base and Back Again Updates

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 3:54 am    Post subject:

Lorinda,

I'm translating the "Inserting Data from the Data Source View into a Writer Document" article and I've found some problems.

1) Just a little thing: above the image, the button should be "Data to text" instead of "Data to field".

2) With printing the document: the Mail Merge window displays the data source view in which you can select the records you want to print. But that has no effect, whatever selection you do, you get all the records printed. Did I misunderstand something?

3) In the "Creating Forms in a Writer document" section, clicking on the Form button doesn't open the Form Properties window. In order to open it I needed to open the form Navigator.

I'm working in Leopard (PPC and Intel), with Patch 2 Test 7.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 7:09 am    Post subject:

jgd wrote:

1) Just a little thing: above the image, the button should be "Data to text" instead of "Data to field".

No, I meant "Data to Fields" there. That lets you see sample data instead of field names. I'll cover "Data to Text" button in the "Quickly Create Writer Tables" section that I have yet to write. Is the Data to fields button not working for you?

jgd wrote:
2) With printing the document: the Mail Merge window displays the data source view in which you can select the records you want to print. But that has no effect, whatever selection you do, you get all the records printed. Did I misunderstand something?

Hmm...It works for me. Is the "Selected Records" radio button selected? That happens automatically for me when I select records, but maybe it's not for you?

jgd wrote:
3) In the "Creating Forms in a Writer document" section, clicking on the Form button doesn't open the Form Properties window. In order to open it I needed to open the form Navigator.

Right you are! I have corrected the instructions in this section.

jgd wrote:
I'm working in Leopard (PPC and Intel), with Patch 2 Test 7.

I'm still in Tiger (10.4.11). I've download Test 7, but haven't installed it yet. I'll try to do so today and re-test the first two issues.

Thanks for your work on this, Jacqueline.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:51 am    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
jgd wrote:

No, I meant "Data to Fields" there. That lets you see sample data instead of field names. I'll cover "Data to Text" button in the "Quickly Create Writer Tables" section that I have yet to write. Is the Data to fields button not working for you?

When I click on the Data to Fields button, nothing happens.
When I cklick on the Data to Text button, after having selected one ore more rows in the data source view, I get the "Insert Database Columns" window, in which I have to drag the fields I want from the left pane into the right one.
Lorinda wrote:

jgd wrote:

Hmm...It works for me. Is the "Selected Records" radio button selected? That happens automatically for me when I select records, but maybe it's not for you?

I've selected a row but the All radio button is checked.

Crying or Very sad

(Did you see that I'm an Anomaly now? It can explain the behavior of my machines Wink)

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:06 pm    Post subject:

I've now installed test patch 7 (2.2.2 patch 2).

jgd wrote:

When I cklick on the Data to Text button, after having selected one ore more rows in the data source view, I get the "Insert Database Columns" window, in which I have to drag the fields I want from the left pane into the right one.

Check under the View Menu. Do you have Field Names checked? If so, turn it off and try selecting a row and then clicking the Data to Fields button again. I've added a step in the article to make sure that View>Field Names is turned off.

jgd wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Does checking the the Selected Records radio button fix the issue, or is it greyed out? I added a note in the article at this point, too, suggesting folks make sure this setting is correct.

jgd wrote:

(Did you see that I'm an Anomaly now? It can explain the behavior of my machines Wink)

Jacqueline

I hadn't noticed until you mentioned it. Congratulations! Hopefully your machines won't stay so anomalous.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
I've now installed test patch 7 (2.2.2 patch 2).

jgd wrote:

Check under the View Menu. Do you have Field Names checked? If so, turn it off and try selecting a row and then clicking the Data to Fields button again. I've added a step in the article to make sure that View>Field Names is turned off.

Thanks a lot. It works now.

Lorinda wrote:

jgd wrote:

Crying or Very sad

Does checking the the Selected Records radio button fix the issue, or is it greyed out? I added a note in the article at this point, too, suggesting folks make sure this setting is correct.

It's greyed out. I can't check it.

I'll update the French page, maybe tonight Smile

Jacqueline
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:

It's greyed out. I can't check it.

Jacqueline

All works fine now. Sorry, I did not read carefully the instructions. I must apologize for the silly question. Embarassed

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject:

I've had more than one teacher who has said there is no such thing as a silly question. No need to apologize. Smile

Lorinda
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 6:26 am    Post subject:

There is an italian saying that say: there isn't silly question but silly answer.

Valter

P.S. Lorinda, your work on database is simply amazing and very usefull. Don't know how much time it will take to translate, but I'm going to do it.

Nessun italiano si vuol unire allo sforzo? (any italian would like to join me to this effort?)
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject:

Thanks for the complement, Valter. Smile

Take your time. I know it's a big project.

By the way, if you want the xls file for the AOU Birdlist (if you want to create test database in Italian), let me know and I can send it to you.

After the fact, Jacqueline did find a list of French (or maybe European?) birds that could be used instead.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject:

I found a list of birds of "Occidental Palearctic" (I didn't know that Occidental Palearctic Embarassed ). That applies to Occidental Europe (I did know Occidental Europe Wink). But I didn't use it for the translation of Lorinda's tutorials. As you have to verify all the steps to get the name of the menus, windows, etc. il's easier to keep the same birds list as Lorinda.

Valter, if you want the link to the Occidental Palearctic list, let me know.

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 3:20 am    Post subject:

Actually I'm using a list of italian bird that I found here http://www.parks.it/parco.po.to/XLS/Check-listPoTO.xls

In that file there isn't all informations that are in AOU list, but for what I translate so far information needed are there...

Do you think that this approach is correct?
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:32 am    Post subject:

Valter,

While it means you will need to adapt some articles, I think using the Italian list would be fine. Below are some notes/suggestions in this regard.

-Euring (column A) should work fine for a primary key, assuming any given number appears only once.

-If you split the Nome scientifico column (C) into two columns, genus and species (genus being the first name), you will have an easier time adapting the Splitting Tables article that I have yet to write. If you don't, I'm not sure I see another option to use as an example for that article.

-Cells D through O should be transformed into Boolean number formats, with TRUE or 1 where the Xs are now. You are more familiar with Calc than I am, so I'll leave it to you to decide the best way to do this. When pasting the table into the database file, make sure these fields are all set to yes/no (Boolean).

-The Note field would be a good candidate for the Memo (LONGVARCHAR) type. (Which reminds me that I should have used this field type for some fields in other tables.....)

Jacqueline:
Would you please send me link to the paleoartic list? I seem to have misplaced it. It occurs to me that I could include it in the copy of the database I plan to make publicly available.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject:

Valter,
As you begin to translate, I think that you can use the Italian list applying Lorinda's instructions. I kept the American list because when I found the Paleoarctic one, I had already translated several pages and I should have to format the Excel file, to rebuild completely my database and re-write all these articles Rolling Eyes A lot of time!

Lorinda,

You can download that list here

http://www.lpo.fr/oiseaux/lopo/index.shtml

by clicking on the link "La liste (format Microsoft Ecxel)

Jacqueline
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 3:04 pm    Post subject:

Thank you for your advices, girls!

Valter
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:58 pm    Post subject:

Thanks to Lorinda and her bird-watching Base tutorial, we now have some current Base screenshots on the NeoOffice Screenshots page!

(Note that only English and Italian have a NeoOffice 2.1/2.2.x page; French, German, and Spanish have 2.0 Aqua Beta pages as their most current pages instead).

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4