· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Fear/confusion on Macintouch
Fear/confusion on Macintouch

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 9:09 am    Post subject: Fear/confusion on Macintouch

I'm sure you've seen this already, but there's a fear/confusion post on Macintouch today (27 Apr) about OOo/Mac X11 1.1.x

http://www.macintouch.com/#i.2004.04.27.openoff

I would send in a reply to save the programmers the interruption, but I figure someone who's a little more informed than me would do a better job.

Smokey
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Tue Apr 27, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject:

i can write up something about the whole adventure. ever notice macintouch is like the tabloid of the mac news world?

-j
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 4:39 am    Post subject:

one of the developers replied to the article, so i didn't send anything in.

though i'd be curious to watch what (if anything) pops up today.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject:

Well, it does however illustrate a problem with the OpenOffice.org project...people still think it's "Sun" doing Mac OS X support, not pure volunteers. That's one of the primary reasons I think there aren't more volunteers...there's no "community" aside from Sun, and Sun's been doing more and more and more to brand OpenOffice.org as a Sun product.

As far as I know, no one confuses Neo with Sun, though. It's amazing what a little rebranding and trademarking can accomplish Twisted Evil

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:13 pm    Post subject:

jakeOSX wrote:
one of the developers replied to the article, so i didn't send anything in.

though i'd be curious to watch what (if anything) pops up today.

Straight from the horse's mouth is always good, too (and maybe even better) Smile I hope the "exposure" brought in a few more testers....

Seems interest in the topic, or at least in publishing about it, stopped right there, though.

The whole "ordeal" does re-emphasise the oft-discussed topic of having one easily-located, regularly-updated soucrce for info on the project...just another thing that takes time away from the coding... Sad
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Wed Apr 28, 2004 11:52 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Seems interest in the topic, or at least in publishing about it, stopped right there, though.

Historically, the whole interest of people in publishing things on the topic stopped with the false rumor that Apple and Sun were collaborating on StarOffice for OS X back like a year and a half ago. I was running around like a headless chicken talking to reporters left and right trying to explain how I wasn't a Sun employee and praying to God that my employer wouldn't wonder why all of a sudden ZDNN "reporters" were pestering me over our company phone lines when my company has nothing to do with OOo or Sun or Apple.

But no one in the mainstream media really cares about volunteers with no involvement from a company that will generate headlines. The best public interest we get is from comments on /., macslash, the macnn forums, and macosxrumors.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1