Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Check in all languages doesn't work spellcheck
Check in all languages doesn't work spellcheck

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Check in all languages doesn't work spellcheck

Hello All,

I've looked through some entries and read the wiki but I don't think this exact problem has been address (I apologize if it has).

I cannot get the "Check in all languages" setting for Spell Check to work. I've installed the Irish language dictionary and it will check in Irish perfectly. It will check in English perfectly. Additionally, changing the settings is no problem. But when I set the spell check to "check in all languages" it doesn't detect any spelling errors, even when I just jam on the keys.

Any advice is appreciated.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject:

Some questions for you:

What version of NeoOffice are you using? Which patch?

What kind of processor do you have? (i.e. PPC or Intel?)

Do I understand correctly that if you type asdfghj, Neo won't mark it as wrongly spelled?

I just checked on my iBook (i.e. a PPC processor), and Neo will mark asdfghj as misspelled. But a lot of my other mispellings were not caught, because they were correctly spelled in languages that I don't know, but whose dictionaries are included.

Specifically, I typed the following two sentences:

I spolled this wreng.

Qu'est-ce quic se pase?

With "check in all languages," "wreng" and "quic" are marked as misspelled. (They should be "wrong" and "quick"), but "spolled" and "pase" were not marked as wrong (they should be "spelled" and "passe").

If I turn off "check in all languages" and mark the second sentence as French (English is my default language), then all four misspelled words are marked.

This is, in fact, the great danger with the "check in all languages" feature. Even with the languages set in the two sentences, it sill misses many misspelled words because they are real words in some other language.

Nevertheless, we should probably find out why this is happening.
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:07 am    Post subject:

I am running the latest version of NeoOffice, version 2.2.1 with the patch 1 on an Intel mac. Just installed it a few days ago because I heard it was a better option for the Mac than OpenOffice.

You're correct in your assumption. If I type asdefghj NeoOffice will not mark that as an incorrectly spelled word.

I understand that some misspelled words may be words in another language but i tried various times just jamming on the keys making strings of random letters that couldn't possibly be words in any language, such as the string you stated asdefghj.

I just can't take doing my Irish language homework and seeing all the English marked as incorrect when I know it is correct. It makes spell-checking my Irish more frustrating because I have to click "ignore" for pretty much every English word.

Thanks for your help!
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject:

SpiceLMF wrote:
I am running the latest version of NeoOffice, version 2.2.1 with the patch 1 on an Intel mac. Just installed it a few days ago because I heard it was a better option for the Mac than OpenOffice.

You're correct in your assumption. If I type asdefghj NeoOffice will not mark that as an incorrectly spelled word.

Well, it is possible this is an Intel specific bug, then. (I have an iBook with a PPC chip). Hopefully one of our other users who has an Intel machine can check and see if this is happening for them.

Quote:

I just can't take doing my Irish language homework and seeing all the English marked as incorrect when I know it is correct. It makes spell-checking my Irish more frustrating because I have to click "ignore" for pretty much every English word.

The solution here is to set the language for the different parts of your homework. Take a look at this article in the wiki. The link should take you directly to the section on setting the language of the text, and has some suggestions for creating Macros and/or Styles and Templates to make switching between languages easier. Then you can turn off "Check spelling on all languages."

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:
Well, it is possible this is an Intel specific bug, then. (I have an iBook with a PPC chip). Hopefully one of our other users who has an Intel machine can check and see if this is happening for them.

No, it works fine on my iMac Intel. I can spell check in both English and French in the same document.

Jacqueline
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:50 pm    Post subject:

Ok, thanks for the help. For now i'll either set the language by line through the character function or I may just go back to using OpenOffice as that feature works for me in that... though I like NeoOffice's look a bit more. Ah well.

I'll try playing around myself with the program and try to get it working. I'll report if I find a solution to the "check in all languages" problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:26 pm    Post subject:

With "Check spelling in all languages", "asdefghj" shows as misspelled as well on my Intel Mac.

I suspect that "asdefghj" has gotten saved as a word to ignore in your user preferences. To test my theory, select the Tools :: Options menu and in the dialog that appears, click on NeoOffice :: Language Settings :: Writing Aids.

In that panel, highlight the "IgnoreAllLists" dictionary and click the Edit button. In the dialog that appears, delete any words that appear that you don't want in there. Do the same for the "standard" dictionary as well.

Patrick
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject:

It's not just "asdefghj" that doesn't come up as misspelled. As I said, whenever I jam on the keys it doesn't detect any misspellings and I've tried many different strings. "asdefghj" was merely something suggested by Lorinda to ensure I wasn't typing in strings that were words in another language I wasn't aware of.

At any rate, I looked under the IgnoreAllList no words showed up and under standard only words that I know I have added which are correctly spelled words showed up. So it doesn't look like that is the problem.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject:

Then the next place to look is in the native Mac OS X spellchecker's dictionary. Are there any files in your ~/Library/Spelling folder? This is where the Mac OS X spellchecker stores any "learned" words and all such words will be treated as correctly spelled by the Mac OS X spellchecker.

Patrick
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject:

I may be confused but there is no folder entitled "Spelling" at least under the Library folder. Is it possible you meant something else?

Also, I just want to stress again that "Check in all languages" does work in OpenOffice and I can check each language individually with no problems... this makes me believe that it's something unique to NeoOffice rather than a problem with OS X... but I could be wrong and with that, I'll try anything.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject:

SpiceLMF wrote:
I may be confused but there is no folder entitled "Spelling" at least under the Library folder. Is it possible you meant something else?

Nope. I meant the Library/Spelling subfolder in your Home folder. If there is no such folder, you don't have any "learned" words.

SpiceLMF wrote:
Also, I just want to stress again that "Check in all languages" does work in OpenOffice and I can check each language individually with no problems... this makes me believe that it's something unique to NeoOffice rather than a problem with OS X... but I could be wrong and with that, I'll try anything.

Well that's not much comparison as OOo doesn't use the native Mac OS X spellchecker and it only ships with and English and French dictionary. In other words, NeoOffice has several time as many languages OOo by default.

The only other thing that I can think of trying is refreshing your user preferences with default values by quitting NeoOffice, moving your ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.1 and ~/Library/Preferences/NeoOffice-2.2 folders, and relaunching NeoOffice.

BTW, wasn't there a mention of a crash in this topic a couple of hours ago? I was trying to reproduce the crash but now I cannot find the post. If someone deleted it, can you post the steps for reproducing the crash?

Patrick
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:47 pm    Post subject:

Ok well i've tried completely erasing the program and it's preferences and doing a fresh install. And "check in all languages" is still not working. I also did what you suggested and just moved the preference file and then relaunched. Still "check in all languages" didn't work.

I was experiencing a crash while recording a macro but I restarted my computer and the crash no longer occurred. I think this may have had to do with some preference files for another program that I had put in my trash but couldn't delete until I restarted. Not sure though, that's just my best guess. At any rate, it was something running in the background of my computer and not a problem solely with NeoOffice. I could re-post the reproduction steps but I think it would be very unlikely that you'd be able to reproduce it.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:07 pm    Post subject:

SpiceLMF wrote:
Ok well i've tried completely erasing the program and it's preferences and doing a fresh install. And "check in all languages" is still not working. I also did what you suggested and just moved the preference file and then relaunched. Still "check in all languages" didn't work.

I found one case where words will never be marked as misspelt: when a section of the document is marked as having "[None]" as its language. If you place the cursor in one of the problematic words and select the Format :: Character menu, is "[None]" the specified language in the Font panel?

SpiceLMF wrote:
I was experiencing a crash while recording a macro but I restarted my computer and the crash no longer occurred. I think this may have had to do with some preference files for another program that I had put in my trash but couldn't delete until I restarted. Not sure though, that's just my best guess. At any rate, it was something running in the background of my computer and not a problem solely with NeoOffice. I could re-post the reproduction steps but I think it would be very unlikely that you'd be able to reproduce it.

Actually, I remembered most of the steps and I can now reproduce it consistently using the following steps:

1. Open a new Writer document
2. Type in some text
3. Select the Tools :: Macros :: Record Macro menu
4. Highlight some text and Control-click on the highlighted text
5. Select Character from the popup menu
6. Change the language in the dialog and press the OK button

Patrick
SpiceLMF
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:05 pm    Post subject:

I've checked the language set under the character menu and it is reading as set to English (USA).

Glad you could replicate that bug, sorry I deleted that from my previous post... I'm real out of it today.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:47 pm    Post subject:

SpiceLMF wrote:
Glad you could replicate that bug, sorry I deleted that from my previous post... I'm real out of it today.

FYI. A test patch with a fix for the crashing bug has been posted in bug 2645.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1