NeoOffice :: View topic - go-oooooooooooooo.org
go-oooooooooooooo.org

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject:

Yes, the original Copyright Assignment was a contract that signed over all ownership of the code to Sun. The original developer retained no ownership rights or copyright. The Joint Copyright Assignment was developed as a way to address the primary concern of OOo contributing developers, namely that they had to sign away their rights to work on the project.

Since I had already signed the original CA, I never saw any need to sign JCA. I'm not griping about it, since ownership is really moot for bug fixes and other small patches I contribute back. I don't gripe about CA myself.

I think Patrick's thoughts are relevant; I also think that there are political motives (not necessarily Sun) that are using JCA as an excuse in this particular case to snub external code. There are established ways to incorporate external code into the OOo development process, and LGPLd code at that. The problem here is that it really seems to be a double standard.

Why do they pull in our non-JCAd LGPL Spotlight plugin code but yet refuse to pull in similarly external non-JCAd code from Novell? Seems like a double standard to me that's not designed to enhance the product but only apply to things when it's politically convenient.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Random Whatnot All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2