Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Problems to login to this forum
Problems to login to this forum

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavagai_2
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:53 pm    Post subject: Problems to login to this forum

Hi,
I have now used my three email-accounts to register for this forum.
As I very seldom visit this forum I always forget my username and my password.
Then the trouble starts. I try my usual nicknames and then the passwords are wrong.
I request a confirmation code (today I got three times the same one), then I am tolded: With this code you can now assign a new password at http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=pass_lost
But that is not true. I always only get a confirmation code. So I never can login.
Then I try another emailaddress and another nickname or register again with another emailaddress.
Why doesn't the procedure to request a new password work?
Could anybody reset all my accounts here at the Trinity forum?
(The funny thing is: the trouble occurred because I wanted to donate some money for NeoOffice and that doesn't work either because of Paypal, the dumbest system next almost everthing from Microsoft. Or is Paypal from Microsoft?)
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject:

I just did this entire process without any problem. Here is what I did:

1. I was logged out of Trinity and click on the Login link
2. I got the user/confirmation code page. I entered my user name and left the confirmation code blank
3. The system e-mailed me a confirmation code and a link
4. I went to the link and entered my user name and confirmation code
5. The system e-mailed me a new password
6. I logged into this forum with my user name and my new password

If you are not getting any mail, then you likely have spam filters that are filtering out the system's e-mail. You will need to either figure out how to diable such filtering or create a new account that you know won't filter out the system's e-mail as we are not going to "reset" anyone's account. You maybe the real owner of the other accounts, but we have no way to prove that and it would be very irresponsible of us to hand out passwords to accounts to an unrelated account.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I moved this topic to the Fuzkd Servers forum since it appears to be a browser and/or website issue.

Patrick
gavagai_2
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:39 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I just did this entire process without any problem. Here is what I did:
1. I was logged out of Trinity and click on the Login link
2. I got the user/confirmation code page. I entered my user name and left the confirmation code blank
3. The system e-mailed me a confirmation code and a link
4. I went to the link and entered my user name and confirmation code
5. The system e-mailed me a new password
Hi Patrick,
here our roads have diverge.
Step 4 brings me via this:
With this code you can now assign a new password at http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Your_Account&op=pass_lost
to the page User Registration/Login

When I
a) type in my nickname and
b) the confirmation code just sent to me and
c) click the button "Send Password" I get the same confirmation code and the same link via email.
pluby wrote:

If you are not getting any mail, then you likely have spam filters that are filtering out the system's e-mail.

This is not the case as I get the confirmation mails. I have four of them right now.
pluby wrote:
You maybe the real owner of the other accounts, but we have no way to prove that and it would be very irresponsible of us to hand out passwords to accounts to an unrelated account.

I think we (mankind) are in a funny situation. When my rights and personal data concern not such important issues (like participation in a discussion forum) they are highly protected. Concerning important issues my rights and personal data are waived away (by the government: controlling phone-calls, reading emails, ...).
The proplem is: I only have three email addresses (and I don't want to establish and maintain further ones) and they are all used up in this forum for different accounts. Now I am logged in with my "gavagai_2" account, which is usally my third choice after "gavagai", "gavagai_hh". As long as Firefox remembers ...
i used to have a Password-database on my Windows-PC with more than 150 entries (everybody wants different specifications: at least 8 characters; exactly 6 characters; no numbers; at least 1 number and so on). But since 3 years at this Mac I stopped that database and rely on Firefox and Safari.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 12:46 am    Post subject:

gavagai_2 wrote:
pluby wrote:
If you are not getting any mail, then you likely have spam filters that are filtering out the system's e-mail.

This is not the case as I get the confirmation mails. I have four of them right now.

This piece of data is good to know. I cannot explain why the web pages are behaving so wierdly for you as I cannot reproduce them. However, knowing that the e-mails work makes it safe for me to reset the passwords as I know that the true owner of the account will get the e-mails.

I'll see how I can force the Trinity forum software to reset the password for all of the "gavagai*" accounts. If I am successful, the e-mail addresses associated with those accounts will get an e-mail.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I won't reset "gavagai_2" as presumably you already the password to that account.

BTW, I suspect that your PayPal website issues and this issue are somehow related. What web browser are you using?

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject:

FYI. Those accounts should receive an e-mail with their new passwords.

While I was resetting the passwords, I did notice something weird: if passwords have some non-ASCII characters in them, the Trinity forum software seems to reject the password without warning even if you had no problem setting it your profile page.

Patrick
gavagai_2
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:

BTW, I suspect that your PayPal website issues and this issue are somehow related. What web browser are you using?

Yes, they are related because I only wanted to post in this forum after my unsuccessful attempts with the donation and Paypal.
I am using Firefox 2.0.0.7 and when in a few cases Firefox doesn't work well I use Safari 2.0.4 (419.3).
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:19 am    Post subject:

Hi Patrick,
thank you. It worked: I am logged on as gavagai.
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:30 am    Post subject:

yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:09 am    Post subject:

Just out of curiosity, your password doesn't have accented or other unicode characters in it, does it?

- padmavyuha
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
In the first selection bar I have Logout [ gavagai ] . I repeated the log-out to no avail. So I can log out a fifth time but not log in (to try out my new password).

I was able to get this yesterday once as well. It seems that Trinity forum software does not always correctly clear all login data. I'll have to look and see if I can find the bug (thankfully we used open source software for this site).

In the meantime, go into your browser's preferences and delete and cookies associated with trinity.neooffice.org. This will force your browser to cleanly login again.

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:08 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Just out of curiosity, your password doesn't have accented or other unicode characters in it, does it?
- padmavyuha
No, nothing like that. Just plain 5 letters and two numbers (Am I giving away too much with that remark?). And if anyone (like Paypal forces me to use at least 8 characters I have four letters and 4 numbers (most of them different to the 7 characters mentioned before).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1