Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - I want to donate money for NeoOffice but Paypal won't let me
I want to donate money for NeoOffice but Paypal won't let me

NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gavagai_2
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: I want to donate money for NeoOffice but Paypal won't let me

Today I wanted to donate 25 Euros for NeoOffice.
I typed in all my creditcard information and then Paypal told me:
The email address or credit card has already been added to a PayPal account. If you have already opened a PayPal account, enter your email address and password into PayPal Checkout and click Log In. Otherwise, enter a different email address or credit card number to complete your purchase.
But the login for Paypal doesn't work. That's what I expected: with Paypal nothing ever works.
I am asked dumb questions about my birthplace and the birthplace of my father.
Then I am told:
To reset your password, you will need to confirm that you are the owner of this account by providing information that only you as the account owner would know.
Then finally comes the most ridiculous:
Some required information is missing or incomplete. Please correct your entries and try again.
I have to select other most ridiculous security questions like: Mother's maiden name
ALL I want is to donate 25 Euros without Security questions which I don't know the answer for.
Can't I please please donate the money without disturbance by PayPal?
gavagai_2
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject:

After the 15th step I have succeeded and logged in to Paypal. And PayPal calls this easy and fast Laughing
Now they finally want: Recipient's Email !
What the hell is NeoOffice's Email ?
Normally I expect to type in the recipient's banking account or address or whatever.
Now, I guess I resign: no donation for NeoOffice. Crying or Very sad
I go on to use NeoOffice for free till they give me an opportunity to donate money without Paypal interfering.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject:

gavagai_2 wrote:
After the 15th step I have succeeded and logged in to Paypal. And PayPal calls this easy and fast Laughing
Now they finally want: Recipient's Email !
What the hell is NeoOffice's Email ?
Normally I expect to type in the recipient's banking account or address or whatever.
Now, I guess I resign: no donation for NeoOffice. Crying or Very sad
I go on to use NeoOffice for free till they give me an opportunity to donate money without Paypal interfering.

What exactly are you trying to do? We have simple buttons on this page that fill in PayPal's form for you:

http://www.neooffice.org/neojava/donate.php

The above button works fine for me.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 3:52 pm    Post subject:

Given your woes with both the PayPal donate button and this forum, I wonder if your web browser is caching web pages or has cookies disabled. Can you check the following in your web browser?:

1. Empty your browser's cache. In Safari, you do this by selecting the Safari :: Empty Cache... menu

2. Check that cookies are enabled. In Safari, select the Safari :: Preferences menu and in the dialog that appears, click on the Security tab and make sure that either "Always" or "Only sites that you navigate to" is checked for the Accept Cookies option

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:18 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I just disabled cookies in my browser and when I click the donation button, PayPal returns a page with only a "Click to retry" link. If you are seeing this link, then cookies are definitely disabled in your browser and you need to enable them for either this forum or PayPal to work.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I moved this topic to the Fuzkd Servers forum since it appears to be a browser and/or website issue.

Patrick
gavagai_2
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:08 am    Post subject:

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject:

Interesting. I wonder if PayPal changed something in their credit card pages. I will enter a full transaction tomorrow morning to see if PayPal is doing something stupid or if maybe our donation button is now not sending data in the format that PayPal expects.

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 5:12 am    Post subject:

hi Patrick,
now a login as gavagai (with my password) went through, as you can see.
I think, the problem seems to be that Paypal doesn't allow payment by Mastercard when I already have an account with paypal. Which is the case. I opened an account with Paypal years ago but I never used it. I seem to have to pay $ 1 per quarter of the year or so. And I didn't see any advantage to direct payment via Mastercard.
Anyway I appreciate your work and the work of your team around NeoOffice. So I still want to donate 25 Euros if you show me a way.
In a hurry
Herbert

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:21 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
hi Patrick,
now a login as gavagai (with my password) went through, as you can see.
I think, the problem seems to be that Paypal doesn't allow payment by Mastercard when I already have an account with paypal. Which is the case. I opened an account with Paypal years ago but I never used it. I seem to have to pay $ 1 per quarter of the year or so. And I didn't see any advantage to direct payment via Mastercard.
Anyway I appreciate your work and the work of your team around NeoOffice. So I still want to donate 25 Euros if you show me a way.
In a hurry
Herbert

Ah. Glad you found the cause of the problem. The solution is to enter an e-mail address that does not have a PayPal account.

Let me explain what is happening. As you probably know, PayPal uses e-mail addresses as the login name for PayPal users. So, when you enter an existing PayPal user's e-mail address with a credit card purchase, PayPal wants you to log in so that it can "attach" the payment to your PayPal account's history, etc.

In other words, PayPal "keys" all transactions by e-mail. So, if you enter an e-mail that has no existing PayPal account, PayPal should process your transaction and it will reserve that e-mail. PayPal may try to convince you to setup a new PayPal account for that e-mail, but you can ignore that.

Patrick
gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2007 11:32 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
So, if you enter an e-mail that has no existing PayPal account, PayPal should process your transaction and it will reserve that e-mail.

Thank you. I will try that tomorrow.

gavagai
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Ah. Glad you found the cause of the problem. The solution is to enter an e-mail address that does not have a PayPal account.

Hi Patrick,
today, I succeeded in transfering Euro 25 with another email address via mastercard.
Out of curiosity (or stupidity Rolling Eyes) I tried what happens when creating a Paypal-account with that second email-address. It went OK till I clicked the URL in the confirmation mail. I was asked to choose between 5 silly questions. I refused and got: Some required information is missing or incomplete. Please correct your entries and try again. Security Questions: Please select two different questions.
Don't be afraid: for the next donation I still have a third email address up my sleeve (that's a German idiom but I guess it is OK in English too), one that Paypal doesn't know of Very Happy .

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject:

gavagai wrote:
Out of curiosity (or stupidity Rolling Eyes) I tried what happens when creating a Paypal-account with that second email-address. It went OK till I clicked the URL in the confirmation mail. I was asked to choose between 5 silly questions. I refused and got: Some required information is missing or incomplete. Please correct your entries and try again. Security Questions: Please select two different questions.
Don't be afraid: for the next donation I still have a third email address up my sleeve (that's a German idiom but I guess it is OK in English too), one that Paypal doesn't know of Very Happy .

PayPal is adding security enhancements similar to most American banks' online banking websites. The silly questions are really just additional passwords. The idea behind this type of security measure is that maybe a program can hack your password via brute force attack, but then they will only hit the next step with the rotating question.

I usually put non-sensical answers in these fields. They try to make the questions sound personal (I assume so that people aren't likely to forget the answers), but I have all sorts of imaginary words that I use for these types of questions.

Patrick
robertz
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 1:13 am    Post subject: Cookies are required to be able to donate

Maybe this information should be explicitely noted at the donate page.

As PayPal only says "Page Not Found" in the Page Title and does not mention that cookies are required.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Cookies are required to be able to donate

robertz wrote:
As PayPal only says "Page Not Found" in the Page Title and does not mention that cookies are required.

Since PayPal doesn't put a coherent error message when cookies are disabled, I will look at our web pages to see if we can detect when cookies are disabled before you press the donate button. Hopefully, that will help users avoid the dreaded PayPal "Page Not Found" error page.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> Server Outages All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2