Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Spotlight searches for NeoOffice docs
Spotlight searches for NeoOffice docs

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GibHenry
Councilperson

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Spotlight searches for NeoOffice docs

I had been encountering inconsistent results when using Spotlight to search for NeoOffice documents, especially .ods (Calc) documents. A search of this forum located some old stuff about using mdimport:

Quote:
I ran /usr/bin/mdimport -d3 on one of my test docs and I was able to search for the content in that file with Spotlight and it found the document.

I then ran mdimport -r /Library/Spotlight/neolight.mdimporter and performed another search for a different test file, but Spotlight couldn't find it. Performing another /usr/bin/mdimport -d3 on that second file did work - I could now find it.

There was also some discussion about neolight.mdimporter being located in /Library/Spotlight; however, I have no such file there, and instead I have it located inside the NeoOffice application.

I tried following the directions and began finding far more documents than before...I think Spotlight is finding everything now (it also finds .sxc files), but it's hard to test what it's not finding.

Questions: Is there some kind of routine maintenance I need to do to maintain the search capability? And do I need to mess any further with NeoLight? Cheers,

The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Nov 10, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject:

In theory, nothing special should need to be done. NeoLight registers itself to index writer, calc, bae, impress, and draw documents. Three things immediately come to mind that may cause issues, however.

One might be some type of corruption occurring with normal user preferences under an OS upgrade. Spotlight keeps track of certain UTIs via Launch Services (or so I believe...) so you may need to rebuild your launch services database and then trigger manual spotlight reindexing after some updates. I've not seen the need for that myself, but I wouldn't discount it.

Second would be if you upgraded to Leopard. Leopard has a built in OpenDocument text indexer. Starting with 2.2.2, the neolight plugin should still index the non-Writer documents. If it isn't, please let me know so I can try to track down the difference between Leopard pre-release and final. Apple's plugins should now take over Writer (given their search path fallbacks) but neolight should still be indexing other OpenDocument variants.

Third case would be if you installed any OOo prerelease builds. If you have installed any with their own plugin, all bets for Spotlight indexing are off. Apple constructed Spotlight with the assumption of "one vendor per filetype". For shared filetypes like OpenDocument, there's nothing we can do to circumvent conflicting software from Apple, Sun, or other third parties.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:12 pm    Post subject:

FYI. As a result of bug 2711, we found that Leopard users will get strange results (or maybe no results) when there are two copies of the same QuickLook plugin installed on their machine or its remote volumes.

Our fix in the test patch at the end of that bug is to generate a unique bundle name for our plugin when you install any of our patches. I assume that this same problem applies to Spotlight plugins on Leopard so installing the test patch will get the same fix.

I don't know if that will change anything, but it shouldn't hurt.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1