· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice document and Quick Look
NeoOffice document and Quick Look

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:25 am    Post subject: NeoOffice document and Quick Look

OPENSTEP wrote:
Remember, all documents created from Neo 2.1 Patch 7 and higher are already being prepped with our new document format for QL, and there is a solution for older files or files created with OOo

Ed, you wrote these in another 3d. What is this solution? I've just upgraded to Leopard and as u say all my relatively new documts are shown with Quick-Look while others remain with their icon only.

And I want to ask you domething else. NeoOffice documents that are shown with Quick Look are also browsable? Because mine are not.

Valter
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:09 am    Post subject:

I've also found this stramge behaviuor with one of the documents.

No background for the document. Any idia why?

Valter
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
I've just upgraded to Leopard and as u say all my relatively new documts are shown with Quick-Look while others remain with their icon only.

As I understand it, all documents created/opened with NeoOffice 2.1 Patch 7 or later should display a high-quality preview of the first page in the Finder's Cover View. Not sure whether re-opening them in OOo affects anything.

However, the documents you show in your screen capture are of the older .sxw type. NeoPeek should attempt to display a preview, but I don't know whether NeoOffice will generate high-quality PDF previews of these documents as well, or if NeoPeek relies on the (lower quality) PNG thumbnail created by OOo.

valterb wrote:
And I want to ask you domething else. NeoOffice documents that are shown with Quick Look are also browsable? Because mine are not.

No. The NeoPeek plugin creates a high-quality preview of the first page only.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:

I don't get the contents of the documents, only the icon and some info: title, size, modification date. I tried with new created .odt and .ods files.

See bug 2711.

Jacqueline
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
As I understand it, all documents created/opened with NeoOffice 2.1 Patch 7 or later should display a high-quality preview of the first page in the Finder's Cover View. Not sure whether re-opening them in OOo affects anything.

You are close. All documents saved with NeoOffice 2.1 Patch 7 or later should show the first page in the Finder's Cover View.

Patrick
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:31 am    Post subject:

As you can see in my preview, left and right documents are in sxw format too, but they are correctly displayed (with white background).
So both old and new NeoOffice format are quick-looked. The only thing I can see that is different is the date of last editing: center document, named 4-4_... was modified on 2007 June 4th, while other more recently (4-3_... just today).

I've noticed that if you change the file extention to zio and extract the file, you obtain a directory named "thubernail" and it has a file named thumbnail.png with trasperent background.
Other file with the correct preview have what you see below. There are two thumbnail files: one is with pdf extension and has white backgruond, the other has png extention and has trasparent background.

Valter
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 11:41 am    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
The only thing I can see that is different is the date of last editing: center document, named 4-4_... was modified on 2007 June 4th, while other more recently (4-3_... just today).

NeoOffice 2.1 Patch 7 was released on June 25 (or shortly before). So your file was never opened & saved with Neo 2.1p7, which explains why NeoPeek is falling back on the OOo PNG (since it's all that it can find - no PDF in that document). You need to open the file, make a change and save it again to have a full quality preview.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject:

The PNGs are used as a fallback for older documents. However, there are problems that OOo doesn't always generate correct preview PNGs. The PNG has the transparent background, so it's being extracted from a fallback document. Presently the PNG is being passed directly to QuickLook in these cases, but I can add an intermediate step to draw a white background and render the PNG into it. That probably won't trap all the cases where OOo screwed up the PNG generation, but it at least would trap this specific one.

ed
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
The PNGs are used as a fallback for older documents. However, there are problems that OOo doesn't always generate correct preview PNGs. The PNG has the transparent background, so it's being extracted from a fallback document. Presently the PNG is being passed directly to QuickLook in these cases, but I can add an intermediate step to draw a white background and render the PNG into it. That probably won't trap all the cases where OOo screwed up the PNG generation, but it at least would trap this specific one.

I thought that if there was no PDF, we fallback to Mac OS X's ODF QuickLook plugin as the PNG is basically unreadable. Did I misunderstand the process?

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I thought that if there was no PDF, we fallback to Mac OS X's ODF QuickLook plugin as the PNG is basically unreadable. Did I misunderstand the process?

Patrick

The Mac OS X ODF plugin probably only indexes ODF (isn't it just .odt?), not .sxw documents. When nothing else is available, NeoPeek falls back on the OOo-generated PNG.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject:

Correct; the Apple QL plugin handles only .odt files. With the current code the PNG will always be used for .sxw files. I haven't checked myself if our PDF thumbnail export handles resaving in older formats.

ed
valterb
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:16 pm    Post subject:

Another request.

Is there any way to have a preview in QL for Master Documents?
I've tried with both new (*.odm) and old (*.sxg) format, but they show just icons.

I have checked both odm and sxg files and it appears that they have the thumbnail.pdf (while thumbnail.png is there but is unreadable in Preview.app) but they do not appear in QL.

Valter
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject:

valterb wrote:
I have checked both odm and sxg files and it appears that they have the thumbnail.pdf (while thumbnail.png is there but is unreadable in Preview.app) but they do not appear in QL.

You are probably experiencing bug 2711. Add yourself to the CC: list in that bug and, when we figure out what changes Apple requires for our QuickLook plugin to work, you will get notified when there is a test patch available.

Patrick
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
valterb wrote:

You are probably experiencing bug 2711. Add yourself to the CC: list in that bug and, when we figure out what changes Apple requires for our QuickLook plugin to work, you will get notified when there is a test patch available.

Patrick

I don't see any org.oasis-open.opendocument.text-master string in NeoPeek's Info.plist; perhaps the reason no preview is displayed is because NeoPeek doesn't claim it can handle these files?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject:

FYI. I have posted a test patch at the end of bug 2711 that fixes the transparent background problem.

There is still an issue that will cause the thumbnail to be replaced by the NeoOffice icon. This issue occurs when you have changed the "Open With..." application setting in a file's Get Info dialog. When you do this, Mac OS X stops asking our plugin to render the thumbnail.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2