· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo *really* slow startup time
OOo *really* slow startup time

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JonElsas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: OOo *really* slow startup time

Hello - I haven't seen this problem mentioned in the board, but it may be there. (the search doesn't seem to be working...)

System config:
--OSX 10.2.6
--900MHz 12" iBook
--640 M of memory
--Apple's X11 Beta 3 - default installation
--OOo 1.0.3 - default installation

When I attempt to start OOo, either by the Start OpenOffice.org.app or by executing 'soffice' from the command line w/ the X server running, it takes several *minutes* (10-20) to even display the splash screen. It seems to take longer & longer each time I start the app.

I've tried re-naming libGL.dylib, but that had no effect. I am not doing anything out of the ordinary w/ system fonts - that's all out-of-the-box OSX. I saw an error about /usr/bin/lpc not being found by the Start script, and I sym-linked /usr/bin/lpc to /usr/sbin/lpc, but it had no effect.

any help is REALLY appreciated. I WANT to use OOo, but the startup time is really making me consider other word processors Sad

thanks in advance,
Jon
JonElsas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:03 am    Post subject: one more thing...

the CPU is around 100% utilization during the entire startup time (10-20+ minutes)
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 8:51 am    Post subject:

That's a new one on me too. I've seen it take long, but I thougt those speeds were never reachable Smile You have 600 megs of physical memory...how much free space do you have on your hard drive? You should probably have at least 1 gig free for swap/virtual memory. If your drive is incredibly fragmented and you don't have much, the virtual memory system may just be thrashing the hard drive.

Well, there are two options for this. One, if you're a hacker, is to try to get the ooqstart project running. I believe Scott Dietrich (or was it a different scott?) had it working on OS X. That wouldn't address the length of startup time, but at least it might amortize it.

The other one is to try and help track down what's causing the long startup times. Basic procedure:

1) Install Apple Developer Tools if not on the box.
2) Open one terminal, proceed to start OOo from a command line.
3) While it is "hung", open a new terminal
4) top -u
5) Check to see that it is soffice.bin near the top pegging the CPU and not X11.app. Make a note of the pid of soffice.bin. Should be the leftmost column.
6) gdb -p pid_from_step_5
7) Wait for gdb to fully start (you'll get lots of "loading sharded libraries" dots...yup, it's big, and if you're having virtual memory problems like mentioned at first, this may not even work since it can take over a Gig of memory)
8 ) thread 1
9) bt
10) thread 2
11) bt
13) Repeat step 10 & 11 with increasing numbers until you get a "Thread ID not known" error message
14) post results here

Anyone out there a gdb expert that can perhaps make the process from 6 to 14 (getting full stack traces of an attached process) simpler?

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 9:00 am    Post subject:

Oh yeah, for others who may drop in and read...

10-20 minutes is abnormal.

1-2 minutes is expected.

This won't be addressed until 1.1, and it's not a Mac problem...it's present on all platforms where OOo 1.0 runs, including Win32.

One way to address it is to get a G5 where OOo/Neo/NeoJ are fast as sin Smile But for those of us with limited budgets...

This girl is a heavyweight, and you may need to adapt the way you use your office suite to work around this. The easiest way is to never close all of the open document windows. Unlike a Mac application that remains running when you close all of its windows, OpenOffice.org is more like a win32 program and will quit if there are no documents open. This blows hole when combined with the 1-2 minute start time.

Tip 1 : After OOo starts the first time, create a new blank word processing document. Minimize it down into the dock. Always leave it open. This will keep the program loaded.

Tip 2 : Make "Start OpenOffice.org" one of your Login items (System Preferences > View > Login Items > Add...). This will start X11/XDarwin when you login as well as OOo. Once the first window opens, Tip 1. If you use OOo frequently, this will help make it handily available.

Tip 3 : If you're about to close a window and don't see that minimized empty word procssing document in the Dock, before you close it make a new empty word processing document and minimize it.

Since I haven't had the time to get ooqstart running, I've just trained myself to do the above. It basically mimics what ooqstart does under the hood...keeps parts of the program continually running and running on startup to minimize startup time. I believe the stupid little butterfly in the toolbar on Win32 that's distributed with OOo/StarOffice does the same thing since it sucks away 17 megs of memory on my NT test box (yes, I have one...gotta compare OOo with something that works somewhere) which seems a bit over the top for a stupid butterfly with a menu.

ed
JonElsas

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 1:38 pm    Post subject: more info & thanks

thanks for the prompt reply & tips. I've been trying to keep an OO window open, but I might give ooqstart a shot.

I'm pretty sure I've got plenty of swap space available & the hard disk is about 60% full (its a 40 gig disk)

after my last posting, just for kicks, I started the spadmin tool. This crashed fairly quickly & looking at the crash log, I saw:
Code:

Thread 0 Crashed:
 #0   0x0025e0e8 in psp::FontCache::flush(void)
 #1   0x00261200 in psp::FontCache::updateFontCacheEntry(psp::PrintFontManager::PrintFont const *, bool)
 #2   0x0023dba4 in psp::PrintFontManager::changeFontProperties(int, rtl::OUString const &)
 #3   0x0023707c in psp::PrintFontManager::initialize(void *)
 #4   0x00231d60 in psp::PrintFontManager::get(void)
 #5   0x00569364 in FontLookup::BuildSet(_STL::hash_set<FontLookup, FontLookup::hash, FontLookup::equal, _STL::allocator<FontLookup> > &)
 #6   0x00569bb4 in SalDisplay::GetXlfdList(void)
 #7   0x0056cdb0 in SalGraphics::GetDevFontList(ImplDevFontList *)
 #8   0x004cc910 in Window::ImplInit(Window *, unsigned long, SystemParentData *)
 #9   0x004a513c in Dialog::ImplInit(Window *, unsigned long)
 #10  0x004a6320 in ModalDialog::ModalDialog(Window *, ResId const &)
 #11  0x00090b30 in padmin::PADialog::PADialog(Window *, unsigned char)
 #12  0x00090ad8 in padmin::PADialog::Create(Window *, unsigned char)
 #13  0x00002994 in MyApp::Main(void)
 #14  0x003f5f78 in SVMain(void)
 #15  0x00577960 in main
 #16  0x000024f4 in _start
 #17  0x00002324 in start

(I'll post the rest if anyone wants it.)

So - since there are those font related calls in the stack trace, I removed all the .ttf files from the share/fonts/truetype directory (as indicated in an earlier post). Lo and behold, spadmin started right up. And, then when I started soffice, the splash screen appeared immediately & the app started without problem in less than 1 minute.

I tried adding all the Helvetica* fonts back, and this took a little longer. I haven't done enough experimenting to know if it takes a certain amount of time per font, or if particular fonts are sucking up all that time.

Anyway, I'll continue to experiment w/ moving individual fonts around & see if there's an obvious culprit.

thanks again for the quick reply. Although I may not have ALL the fonts on my system, the app is totally usable now.

-Jon

By the way - does anyone know of a good 'truss' clone for the Mac? I miss my Solaris tools.
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject:

Please let me know what your experimentation brings, if you continue onwards. I hadn't quite expected this large of an issue with some fonts when we put together our final installer. If we can come up with a list, though, I can make sure to explicitly exclude those fonts from the final installer.

The other interesting thing to note is that to use all the fonts, it does load all of them into memory when it starts up...and this can take up quite a bit if there ar emany fonts.

If you're adding in the fonts one at a time, or adding new fonts, you can use Start OpenOffice.org to do your font conversion from a Mac font to TTF by dropping the mac font over Start OOo. Each time you add a new font, you'll have to do that pspfontcache removal. I think if you don't the font may show up in menus, but the font itself doesn't get displayed.

oh man, if anyone does know of truss replacement...<grin>

ed
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: OOo *really* slow startup time

JonElsas wrote:
Hello - I haven't seen this problem mentioned in the board, but it may be there. (the search doesn't seem to be working...)

System config:
--OSX 10.2.6
--900MHz 12" iBook
--640 M of memory
--Apple's X11 Beta 3 - default installation
--OOo 1.0.3 - default installation

When I attempt to start OOo, either by the Start OpenOffice.org.app or by executing 'soffice' from the command line w/ the X server running, it takes several *minutes* (10-20) to even display the splash screen. It seems to take longer & longer each time I start the app.

I've tried re-naming libGL.dylib, but that had no effect. I am not doing anything out of the ordinary w/ system fonts - that's all out-of-the-box OSX. I saw an error about /usr/bin/lpc not being found by the Start script, and I sym-linked /usr/bin/lpc to /usr/sbin/lpc, but it had no effect.

As you found, it appears to be something in your fonts.

I use an iBook 14" 700 MHz, with 128 MB RAM, running Mac OS X 10.2.6, standard Mac OS X system fonts, X11.app v0.3 for testing OOo, and it takes approx. 30 secs to get to the splash screen, and a total of 90 secs to launch OOo, startimg with no applications except Finder and Terminal.

So something is seriously wrong with your system in my opinion - maybe one of the fonts is corrupted - that will usually cause "spadmin" to crash (which I think you said you had happen).

The "/usr/sbin/lpc" error is just a warning - it means you are running Mac OS X 10.2.x and not some version of Darwin. Just ignore it.

Regards, Terry
darkith

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject:

I was having this problem, excrutiating startup times, all of a sudden.

Based on these posts, I tinkered with the font directory, and narrowed it down to two fonts. Hope the non-ascii characters survive to some degree...

These fonts show up like this in a terminal:
-rw-r--r-- 1 darkith wheel 13510112 Jul 28 21:50 ????????????.ttf
-rw-r--r-- 1 darkith wheel 13540644 Jul 28 21:51 ????????????.ttf
like this in "cat fonts.dir": (starts with bunch of asian characters, might not display)
????.ttf -misc-åæç»é»-normal-r-normal-utf8-0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1
????.ttf -misc-åæé»ä½-normal-r-normal-utf8-0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1
and like this in "vi fonts.dir":
\xe5\x8d\x8e\xe6\x96\x87\xe7\xbb\x86\xe9\xbb\x91.ttf -misc-\xc3\xa5\xc2\x8d\xc2\x8e\xc3\xa6\xc2\x96\xc2\x87\xc3\xa7\xc2\xbb\xc2\x86\x
c3\xa9\xc2\xbb\xc2\x91-normal-r-normal-utf8-0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1
\xe5\x8d\x8e\xe6\x96\x87\xe9\xbb\x91\xe4\xbd\x93.ttf -misc-\xc3\xa5\xc2\x8d\xc2\x8e\xc3\xa6\xc2\x96\xc2\x87\xc3\xa9\xc2\xbb\xc2\x91\x
c3\xa4\xc2\xbd\xc2\x93-normal-r-normal-utf8-0-0-0-0-p-0-iso10646-1

Removing those two fonts (or rather mv'ing the truetype directory, creating a new truetype dir and mv'ing everything else into it), and deleting those two fonts from "fonts.dir" improved my 10-20 minutes startup time to 30-35 seconds (splash screen in 10s). Powerbook G3/300, 320 MB.

HTH.
Darkith
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2003 9:31 pm    Post subject:

I suspect those to be the Asian fonts. I notice that even in my regular US English installs, I still have Asian fonts in my system fonts folder. For what it's worth, they appear to be four to five times the size of the Western fonts...and if Freetype is trying to parse them I could see how that could really draw out the startup time. Not to mention we can't use them in OOo properly anyway since OOo doesn't understand the Mac Asian font encodings yet Sad

I suspect for our next release it'd be good to come up with a list of "excluded" fonts for the import stage, particularly if they're having such a drastic impact on the startup time.

ed
Max_Barel
Oracle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2003 6:40 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
I suspect for our next release it'd be good to come up with a list of "excluded" fonts for the import stage, particularly if they're having such a drastic impact on the startup time.

Yes, I think so.
FWIW, I wanted to mention that when I installed the GM release, after looking at the font dir just to see if there were nothing new that I shouldn't delete, I wipped it out. Then I replaced its contents by links to "clean" folders from previous install/checkout. Those dirs were tuned before, in the process of testing the truetype patches. OOodocs forum still has info of how to do this, mainly in posts from asxless.
As OOo is fragile with this font issue, and since some fonts are unusable anyway, I think it is worth the work.
My user ~/Library/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/user/fonts dir have 135 files (links made by spadmin), e.g. 67 PS fonts (mostly ghostscript import).
The system wide <OOo>/share/fonts dir has two subdir links. The truetype (cleaned) one has 139 files, 137 TTF fonts imported from OSX fonts dirs. The type1 dir (undocumented feature of OOo allows to keep the two kinds of font in separate dirs) has 45 files, giving 22 PS fonts that I tag along release on several platforms.
This gives a 35s time to the splash and 1'10" to full launch from X11.app menu. This is on a 667Mhz G4 PB, 512Mb and a bunch of apps running around (currently two 80megs swapfiles).
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1