Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Calc formula "upgrade" default feature on the next
Calc formula "upgrade" default feature on the next

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
spgandau
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Nov 30, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Calc formula "upgrade" default feature on the next

Hello,

I have been very well helped by the Neo (and ultimately by the OOo) community while I sorted through an issue with Calc. So, for those who helped, thanks!

Here is my observation / and request: ( I could not find anything that touched this topic elsewhere in the forums, so I hope this is an acceptable place to post)

My recent issue revolved around the fact (unknown to me) that Calc interpreted all my formulas as text, instead of formulas. Apparently, as soon as I manually created a formula in the formula bar, Calc defaulted that entry as a "text" entry, and not as a formula (even though I started everything with an equals sign " = "). I was helped and eventually got the formulas working, but it seems that every time that I manually enter a formula in the formula bar, this is an issue...also when I edit a formula that I created with the formula wizard (I do use the formula wizard, but sometimes it is quicker and easier to manually enter the formula in the formula bar). This issue exists in Neo Office v2.2.2 patch 2 and OOo v 2.3.0

I discovered (from the OOo support forums) that I needed to do a "Find & Replace" to find any ".*" (period and asterisk) and replace it with "&" (ampersand). That routine does work and it will properly set Calc to correctly interpret any formula in a cell. But this must be done each and every time a formula is manually entered / modified in a cell.

But my request is this:

Since I am already within the Calc program, why not have the program automatically recognize that I have used an equals sign (" = ") and default to interpreting the cell contents as a formula (and not as text)?

Is it possible that this issue is specific to my computer and OS? or my OS and Neo / OOo version?

I like the Neo office better than the OOo version for my machine, but was not sure where to post this request. I have posted in both forums, hoping that this might be addressed.

Any response by those who are involved in the design of this program would be appreciated!

Regards,

Scott
recent "donor" to the Neo project.
Keep up the work!
(I am beginning my switch from MS office to Neo office.)

MacBook
MacOS X 10.4.11
1.83 Ghz Intel
512 MB Ram
OOo v2.3.0 Smile
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1