Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Distortion of Letters, Numbers in Calc Embedded in Writer
Distortion of Letters, Numbers in Calc Embedded in Writer

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Distortion of Letters, Numbers in Calc Embedded in Writer

I have to create lots of embedded calc tables in writer (not copying and pasting in). Even when everything looks great on the computer screen, when I print the document out I am having the following problems:

1) some of the words or letters within some words in the calc items are compressed so that they are distorted. This seems to occur regardless of the font- whether it is Times New Roman, Arial, or Helvetica.

2) With an internal border around the calc table some of the numbers, are pushed onto the border line.

Any ideas on how to avoid these problems?

Also, when I convert a document to pdf, some of the headings in the writer document (not in the Calc items in the document) are pressed together. For example, on screen and when printed out normally, Summary and Conclusion would appear as written. However, in pdf it is SummaryandConclusion
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:14 pm    Post subject:

Are you using the latest NeoOffice 2.2.2 patch? The latest - Patch 5 - fixed a PDF kerning bug similar to what you describe so if you are using an older patch (or no patch at all), does installing the latest patch from the NeoOffice patch download page change anything?

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject:

I have the latest patch. The only caveat is that the pdf problem is from last week before the patch #5, so I will test it at work tomorrow and see if that fixed it. But, the other problems were present both before and after the patch 5, including a report I made and printed late today.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject:

OK. Since the Export to PDF follows a separate path through the NeoOffice code, I doubt Patch 5 will change the printing issues. Since you are seeing squeezing of the characters, some possible things that might be occurring are:

1. Your printer is substituting its own fonts in place of the fonts that are displayed onscreen. Try pressing the Preview button instead of the Print button in the native print dialog. Does the same squeezing occur when the document appears in the Preview application? If not, does printing from the Preview application cause the same squeezing as when printed from NeoOffice?

2. Your spreadsheet has "scale when printing" enabled and NeoOffice is attempting to scale down everything. Select the Format :: Page and in the dialog that appears, click on the Sheet tab and check the Scaling Mode section. My documents are usually set to Reduce/enlarge printout and have a scaling factor of 100%.

Patrick
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:11 pm    Post subject:

Yes, on #2, scale when printing was enabled already and already set at 100%. Is there something I need to change on that?

As to #1, I will have to wait to check tomorrow at the office and see how it prints out using the preview mode.
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject:

At work and just tested your suggestions. Doing through print preview seems to eliminate some of the problem on words being compressed, although not always entirely.

Also, In a calc item in the document, if I have words in the document followed by a footnote (e.g., Summary Results 1) (cannot do the 1 in superscript here) it comes out with the footnote pressed up against the s. I have to allow three or four spaces to get it to keep from smashing against the last letter. In the print preview when I allow one space it looks fine, but when it prints it is abuted against the letter.

Also, the exterior boundary border line inside the calc document still smashes up against some of the numbers in the table.
gbh
Councilperson

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:12 am    Post subject:

OK, I solved at least the border problem. I was putting an exterior border from within the calc item. When I do it with the calc item closed and do the border on the outside of the calc item it is fine.

Any ideas on the other issues.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1