Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test (OBSOLETE)
OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test (OBSOLETE)

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 12:53 am    Post subject: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test (OBSOLETE)

Edit : This GM Candidate 1 has been pulled and the Candidate 2 posted. Please redirect yourself to the following thread:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=556

Well, after lots of work and great help from Patrick, Kevin, and others, I rolled together a candidate GM installer. Hopefully, unless major bugs are found, this will be the GM "unified" installer for Jaguar and Panther systems.

Edit : Right now this is a candidate, not the final installer! Changes are likely before everyone will agree that it is "GM worthy".

File Info and Downloading

Name: ooo112darwingm.dmg.bz2
Size: 155 MB
MD5Sum: 46e682763d6c8d17bf71d9807fd750e4

The installer is available from FTP:

ftp://ftp.neooffice.org/ooo112darwingm.dmg.bz2

Remember, there is a 2 user limit on anonymous FTP.

After some great help from mith, there is also a BitTorrent up for sharing the installer:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/ooo112darwingm.dmg.bz2.torrent

Changes Since 1.1.2 RC2

Again, if you're just a user and are happy with whatever 1.1 you have, you shouldn't need to download this unless you have a problem. I could use a hand testing it out before it goes to the masses, though Smile The following changed with this installer:

- Moved to 1.1.2 fix 2 source base
    - Patches to use Kevin's libsnd sound framework for audio playback
    - Re-enable scanner support (untested)
    - libdl reinserted into installer
    - Updated readme
    - Installer warning for 10.1 systems
    - Removal of "total size" computation that caused noticable installer delay
    - Removal of the spurious ".txt" file living in home directory after installation
    - Cleanup of "convert_lucida.sh" script to hopefully avoid freezes while converting fonts
    - Execution of windowmaker installer automatically in background instead of by GUI
    - Inclusion of webloc files in installer
    - Foreign language accent compositing bug fixed
    - Drag and drop crash fixed

Please inform if you find any problems with any of the changes!

Installing Over Previous 1.1.2 Builds

If you have installed previous versions of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 through either the Tech Preview installers or RC1/RC2 IA installers, you will need to edit your ".sversionrc" file by hand so the path points to the newly installed OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 directory. You may also remove your .sversionrc file and OOo 1.1.2 will regenerate it on first launch. The .sversionrc file will need to be corrected for every user account under which OOo 1.1.2 has been previously run.

Upgrading Previous Builds

Right now I haven't come up with reasonable upgraders for previous builds. Sorry!

About BitTorrent

For those who are unfamiliar with BitTorrent, it is a peer-to-peer network that can allow for freeform distribution networks to be created. Basically, if you download using BitTorrent and leave your window open after you're done, you essentially "donate" bandwidth to allow others to download from you. Seeing as I don't have large amounts of bandwidth to spare, the hope is that BT will allow us to get a reasonable distribution network for OOo, NeoJ, and others.

For more info on BitTorrent you can see:

http://bitconjurer.org/BitTorrent/

I've been fooling around with a client called Tomato:

http://sarwat.net/bittorrent/

Happy trails!

ed

Last edited by OPENSTEP on Sun Jun 20, 2004 6:39 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:40 am    Post subject:

Downloading now, but asking anyway since it wasn't mentioned....
command-key mapping for keyboard shortcuts?

If this is the final working version, you'll have made my whole week!

Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:12 am    Post subject: it works!

ahhh, command-key mapping is back!

/does happy dance

I'll be pushing this out company-wide this evening!

Thank you!
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 10:22 am    Post subject:

The command-key mappings are now back into the main OOo source code on the "fix2" branch, so they should be in all of the future 1.1.x builds automatically.

Thanks to Patrick's patch, the ODK is also building again, so if anyone is interested in getting it please let me know. He and I seemed to think there weren't enough OOo developers/integrators on OS X to warrant putting it into the disk image with the binary.

ed
mith
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:15 am    Post subject: install type selection

Hello,
what's the point of choosing between "Typical install" and "manual selection" if I don't have anything to manually select?

Is this a future feature?

Also, while installing it asked the folder I wanted to install in. I chose a newly created folder : /Applications/OpenOffice

The installed created a new directory in OpenOffice called OpenOffice_1.1.2 and the files were insied this other directory. I meant to install the files in the main OpenOffice and not a subdirectory. Was it just me to misunderstand that menu?

- mith
mith
Agent

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: about Start OpenOffice.org

As described in the previous post, I installed OOo 1.1.2 and kept my old install (1.1.0 techpreview).

After installing 1.1.2 in the wrong directory I manually moved it where I wanted it to be. Launched Start OpenOffice.org.app and it opened my old OpenOffice install. I did not find a prefpane to change the binary. I renamed the old OpenOffice dir and at the next run it asked me where is the binary located.
My question is not about the prefpane, but rather why it launched my old OpenOffice, as if it already had the binary path and name stored somewhere and the new install inherited. Maybe that should be checked when reinstalling/upgrading?

- mith
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: install type selection

mith wrote:
what's the point of choosing between "Typical install" and "manual selection" if I don't have anything to manually select?

I asked Ed about this during the previous installer test and he indicated that options do show up if you need them; if you have 10.3 and/or a previous OOo installation, I don't think anything's supposed to show up.

mith wrote:
Also, while installing it asked the folder I wanted to install in. I chose a newly created folder : /Applications/OpenOffice

The installed created a new directory in OpenOffice called OpenOffice_1.1.2 and the files were insied this other directory. I meant to install the files in the main OpenOffice and not a subdirectory. Was it just me to misunderstand that menu?

It may be that the screen in question is confusing, especially if one is not familiar with the way OOo works/is typically installed. The installer behaved as it was supposed to (think of the "OpenOffice1.1.2" folder as a Mac OS X application package--OS X Carbon/Cocoa apps are folders with lots of pieces installed in them and just look like a single file--without the "single file" look and double-clickability); it put OOo where you told it to.... Smile
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: about Start OpenOffice.org

mith wrote:
My question is not about the prefpane, but rather why it launched my old OpenOffice, as if it already had the binary path and name stored somewhere and the new install inherited. Maybe that should be checked when reinstalling/upgrading?

Ed mentions this situation above:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Installing Over Previous 1.1.2 Builds

If you have installed previous versions of OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 through either the Tech Preview installers or RC1/RC2 IA installers, you will need to edit your ".sversionrc" file by hand so the path points to the newly installed OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 directory. You may also remove your .sversionrc file and OOo 1.1.2 will regenerate it on first launch. The .sversionrc file will need to be corrected for every user account under which OOo 1.1.2 has been previously run.

Start OpenOffice.org has a preference where you can select which version of OOo (as recorded in the ~/.sversionrc file) it launches...make sure Start OOo is the active app and choose its Preferences option.

However, I don't see this piece of info in the Installer dimage's README_OOO.html, so if Ed has to roll another installer (please, no!) or if the Readme can be corrected easily, this bit should be added....

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test

OPENSTEP wrote:
After some great help from mith, there is also a BitTorrent up for sharing the installer:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/torrents/ooo112darwingm.dmg.bz2.torrent

I've got the GM and hope to put it through some paces tonight. I'll also try to keep my BitTorrent up and running while I'm on campus (typ. 12-5 PM EDT)....

Smokey
Alan Charlesworth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 5:12 pm    Post subject: Font installation

The installer should ask whether the user wants their Mac fonts by converted for OOo. Currently it just goes ahead and fills up the OOo font folder with hundreds of Mac fonts.

If the user has a previous installation of OOo, then the installer should ask whether the user wants those fonts copied into the new installation.

The permissions of the "/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/share/fonts/truetype" folder should be set to read/write, so that users may add fonts without having to change permissions.
Alan Charlesworth

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Unix expert warning by installer

How about removing the "Unix expert" modal warning by the installer. In MacOS X 10.3, X11 is part of the OS, so non-experts can install and run it.
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test

OPENSTEP wrote:
Well, after lots of work and great help from Patrick, Kevin, and others, I rolled together a candidate GM installer. Hopefully, unless major bugs are found, this will be the GM "unified" installer for Jaguar and Panther systems.

Guest wrote:
I'll be pushing this out company-wide this evening!

sardisson wrote:
I've got the GM and hope to put it through some paces tonight.

I'm downloading the image now (I assume "bz2" compression isn't going to be a problem for anyone downloading it).

Great work Ed!

But I am a little concerned that some of us are calling this the GM, finished, released version for WWDC.

I know I promised Ed some feedback on the problems I saw with the included documentation with the RC1 installer, and never did get back to him, knowing he was about to release a new installer package today. I will try to review the documentation as soon as possible (I certainly wanted to add some comments about scanner support, or lack thereof).

There are still a couple of weeks before WWDC, so personally I think we should allow a little more time for the power users amongst us to download and test this version out, and perhaps roll the installer package (more specifically the contents of the disk image I guess) one more time, just for the documentation to mention late-breaking bugs etc (unless of course a major crash is found).

I say all this as one of the people who try to help support OOo users out there - but it gets real hard if there are multiple unknown versions of OOo, so you don't really know what you are supporting - that's the main reason why I don't officially support anything other than OOo 1.0.3GM that Ed last released, and the new OOo 1.1.2GM that Ed will release this time - all bets are off for OOo 1.1.0/1.1.1.

You may have other opinions Wink

Regards, Terry
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: install type selection

sardisson wrote:
mith wrote:

I asked Ed about this during the previous installer test and he indicated that options do show up if you need them; if you have 10.3 and/or a previous OOo installation, I don't think anything's supposed to show up.

Yes, if you already have installed OOo or if you have been good and installed everything it depends on, then nothing should appear in this list. The list may contain the following, however:

- OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 : Core OOo binaries and helper applications. Includes "Start OpenOffice.org"
    - Apple X11 : For Panther systems that do not have X11.app installed. App is installed from the retail CD.
    - XFree86 : For Jaguar systems that do not have an X11 environment
    - Windowmaker : For Jaguar systems on new X11 install
    - OroborOSX : For Jaguar systems on new X11 install
    - dlcompat : For Jaguar systems without libdl (required by windowmaker)
    - ESP Ghostscript : For Jaguar systems without ps2pdf
    - freetype : For Jaguar systems that have Freetype 6.0 or 6.1 installed
    - fondu : For Panther and Jaguar systems that need the fondu font conversion utility

Because there's no good package dependency system like apt-get or the like, the OOo installer includes all of the other OSS software that it could potentially need in order to run, making it totally self-contained and able to handle most any Mac OS X system. The downside is, of course, a larger package in exchange for the fully self-contained installer that most Mac users expect to have for applications. Kevin's putting together the Panther only installer for users who already have had OOo installed and don't need to do all the dependencies Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Unix expert warning by installer

Alan Charlesworth wrote:
How about removing the "Unix expert" modal warning by the installer. In MacOS X 10.3, X11 is part of the OS, so non-experts can install and run it.

I had actually added in that warning early on while making the original 103 installers. The general problem was that people downloaded it and assumed it was a regular Mac application behaving like all others, even though the websites, documentation, etc. said it was still an X11 application. The modal warning dialog is there as a last-ditch effort to remind users that it isn't like other Mac OS X applications they've used.

I haven't changed the wording of it since that time and of course would be open to suggestions. I definitely think that some equivalent warning about it not behaving or looking like a regular Mac application should remain.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2004 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate for Test

Terry Teague wrote:
I'm downloading the image now (I assume "bz2" compression isn't going to be a problem for anyone downloading it).

As to the compression...I chose bz2 since I thought it was a slightly more efficient compression algorithm then gzip. Basically, both shaved over 10% off of the file size as opposed to the built in disk image compression. I did a quick scan and saw that Stuffit Expander supported bzip uncompression before using it. I'm definitely open to other suggestions for compression schemes to shave down the filesize.

I didn't bother trying regular "sit" compression as it was my impression most web servers didn't have the proper MIME type for it, and I was unsure if I'd have to BinHex the sit file. Many also are not configured for ".dmg" delivery either. I figured most all should understand bz2 or gz coming from a Unix world.

Terry Teague wrote:
But I am a little concerned that some of us are calling this the GM, finished, released version for WWDC.

OK, clarification may be in order...this is definitely a GM candidate. It's up here precisely so it can be tested before we declare it a GM Smile

Unfortunately we had some CD deadlines for sending things off to replication companies, so this version will be on at least some of the CDs we hand out at the WWDC booth. But it's definitely not on the servers yet and I hope we can ferret out all the remaining issues. For the mirror network, I believe we just need to get it up one to two days before we go live.

What I do not think will change between now and then is the actual OOo binary itself. Each previous "RC" installer of mine had source code built from different branches. From what I can tell, the OOo 1.1.2 fix2 is very close to, if not, blessed code. So I'm hoping that the binary of OOo itself will not change. I hope the only changes we'll need are layout, typos, and documentation. But history has always proven me wrong Evil or Very Mad

Terry Teague wrote:
(I certainly wanted to add some comments about scanner support, or lack thereof).

I did review the readme and put in a line that TWAIN imaging may or may not be functional. I tried to cover any of the last minute patches that we added in. I did smoke test the sound stuff and it seemed fine to me, though.

Terry Teague wrote:

There are still a couple of weeks before WWDC, so personally I think we should allow a little more time for the power users amongst us to download and test this version out

I definitely agree. After I put this up, for instance, I realized that there was still one Darwin reference left...the name of the dimage file itself! I found that ironic and in need of changing Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4