· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Horizontal scrolling
Horizontal scrolling

NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joeboyle207
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:06 pm    Post subject: Horizontal scrolling

It seems small but I have a mighty mouse and I have really gotten used to it with other applications. The might mouse enables 360 degree scrolling so I can go to the upper-right for example without first scrolling up then scrolling right.

If this 360 scrolling feature could be added that would be awesome.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject:

Sorry to break the bad news, but this is not fixable within NeoOffice. NeoOffice uses Java and Java does not support separate horizontal mouse wheel events. Instead, Java only sends one type of mouse wheel event so directionality of the mouse wheel is not available. In other words, NeoOffice is constrained by Apple's Java mouse wheel support.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 3:00 am    Post subject:

So no luck with the SWT code?

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:25 am    Post subject:

Nope. Java supports multiple windowing toolkits; our interfaces use Java AWT and Swing (the recommended Java interfaces). The Java interfaces from Sun will not support horizontal scrollwheel events until Java 1.6 which is still not released on Mac OS X. Even if so, the underlying OOo event model does not support horizontal scrollwheel events in the version of OOo code we are using now.

We won't be able to support horizontal scrollwheel events until we upgrade both the OOo and Java dependencies. As we want to keep supporting 10.3 as long as possible, this may take some time. I'd bet my life savings that Java 1.6 won't be released for Mac OS X 10.3, and maybe not even for 10.4.

Even though it is an eminently promising cross platform application deployment solution, Java has been relegated to play second-fiddle to ObjC/Cocoa by Apple. OOo too is reliant on Java for many key component implementations so these dependencies on Apple's Java implementation aren't going to end anytime soon for any of us.

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:31 am    Post subject:

As a technical followup:

Swing is a framework introduced with Java 1.2 (? maybe 1.1?) that essentially first allowed cross platform GUIs to be really feasible. AWT was the abstract windowing toolkit (wrong acronym?) introduced during Java 1.0 as a pseudo abstraction for user interfaces; it wasn't until Swing that the widgets such as buttons, text entry fields, etc. were abstracted to such a level that they could be drawn and behave identically on all virtual machines on all platforms (at least, those that were compliant).

SWT is a different framework; it was designed for Eclipse IIRC and trades off the guarantee of truly platform-independent GUI code design with much more abstracted local operating system specific implementations. In a way, SWT is another form of Swing or other cross platform toolkits. We can't start using SWT unless we rewrite significant portions of our implementation. Similarly, Apple controls the update schedule of their virtual machine so we can't extend it with new core APIs until Apple chooses to implement them.

FWIW OOo has its own cross platform toolkit called VCL, so it's just another entry in the game of the GUI write-once run-anywhere framework mentality. It suffers from the same least common denominator restrictions and scheduling demands, albeit from a different company. I think Qt really is the strongest competitor in that field right now, but then again I may just be an engineer attracted by a sexy framework that just works Wink

ed
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject:

Oh well.. Thanks for thinking about, though.

Best wishes,
Oscar

OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject:

I'm sure at some point in time when we move to Java 1.6 (and Apple does too...) we'll finally be able to get that horizontal delta X. Hopefully if any devs reading this can think of another workaround based on the info above they'll let me know Smile

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> New Features Program All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1