Neooffice in universal binaries, one question more

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:
I think it is an average of 4 TB per mirror per month. With 250,000 downloads a month and 135 MB per download, I think the global figure should be more like 30 TB…

Samwise's numbers are about right.

Patrick
JT
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject:

So I've tested the shell script solution on PPC and Intel and everything works without a hitch.

Regarding Launch Services consistently choosing the right platform version, I used Get Info's Open with + Change All dialog and selected the NeoOffice symbolic link in the Applications folder. I tested .doc, .xls, and .ppt files in a variety of contexts and Launch Services always picked the right version. So it seems like there's no problem.

It looks like you all already have a jump on documenting this solution on the Wiki, but on Friday afternoon I wrote the process up too. So for what it is worth here's how I outlined it-- maybe there are some useful tidbits here:

1) On PPC machine install Neooffice and apply current patches. Copy the final resultant app to an external drive or network share.

2) On Intel machine install Neooffice and apply current patches. Copy the final resultant app to an external drive or network share.

3) Organize the two platform-specific apps into folders something like this:

> Neoresources
>>Intel
>>> Neooffice.app
>>PPC
>>>Neoofffice.app

4) Copy these apps and folders into the Application folder of your master image. Be sure there is no other copy of Neooffice (or links/shortcuts/aliases) named Neooffice in the main Applications folder.

5) Open the /Applications/TextEdit application, copy these lines into a new TextEdit document:
Code:

if [ ! -d "/Applications/NeoOffice.app" ] ; then
  if [ `/usr/bin/uname -p` = "powerpc" ] ; then
    /bin/ln -sf "/Applications/Neoresources/PPC/NeoOffice.app" \
      "/Applications/NeoOffice.app"
  else
    /bin/ln -sf "/Applications/Neoresources/Intel/NeoOffice.app" \
      "/Applications/NeoOffice.app"
  fi
fi

Note: if you used a different folder naming/organization scheme in #3 then you'll need to change the script accordingly.

6) Select the Format :: Make Plain Text menu and then the File :: Save menu. When the Save dialog appears, name it Untitled.txt, set the Plain Text Encoding field to "Unicode (UTF-8)", and save it to your desktop.

7) Move the file that you saved to /etc/rc.local using the following Terminal commands:
Code:

sudo cp ~/Desktop/Untitled.txt /etc/rc.local
sudo chown root:wheel /etc/rc.local

8) If you clone from one machine to another be sure you throw away the Neooffice symbolic link in the main Applications folder, then your rc.local script will recreate a new, platform-correct link.

Thanks so much one and all! Looks like Neooffice will be going in the dock at Green Mountain College!
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:39 am    Post subject:

JT wrote:
Cool If you clone from one machine to another be sure you throw away the Neooffice symbolic link in the main Applications folder, then your rc.local script will recreate a new, platform-correct link.

FYI. Deleting the symbolic link should not be necessary as the script will replace any existing symbolic link with the new one. Also, the script will run automatically each time you boot the machine so if the softlink gets accidently deleted or changed, a reboot should fix it.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject:

JT wrote:
It looks like you all already have a jump on documenting this solution on the Wiki, but on Friday afternoon I wrote the process up too. So for what it is worth here's how I outlined it-- maybe there are some useful tidbits here:

Thanks for posting back with the results and your steps; I'll compare the two sets later today and incorporate anything that's missing.

Smokey

Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject:

Nice Smile.

I love it when a plan comes together!

-Oz

sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
I love it when a plan comes together!

/queue 80s theme music!

Smokey

Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 9:26 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
Good on yer... then all the folk who hit the same issue with OOo can get directed there too Smile

And they have been Very Happy

Lorinda (aka kabing)
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3