· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - NeoOffice 2.2.3 New Features page
NeoOffice 2.2.3 New Features page

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: NeoOffice 2.2.3 New Features page

FYI. I added the following new NeoWiki article:

http://neowiki.neooffice.org/index.php/NeoOffice_2.2.3_New_Features

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject:

We probably need to start working on a NeoOffice 2.2.3/OpenOffice 2.3?/MS Office 2008 Feature Comparison page, too...

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject:

For the NeoOffice 2.2.3 release, I will be changing the main website's Features page to list only the new features in the current release as the comparison to OOo X11 is quickly becoming obsolete given that OOo will be doing a native OOo 3.0 Beta release in the next couple of months.

What I want to do is put a link a NeoOffice 2.2.3 features comparison NeoWiki article. Should I just copy the NeoOffice 2.2.2 features comparison and then add the Office 2008 features to the comparison i.e. .docx, .xlsx, and .pptx import and export?

Also, should we replace the OpenOffice.org X11 comparison to the proposed OpenOffice.org 3.0 Aqua Beta? Granted, most of the features are unknown, but we can download the latest OOo 2.4 RC4 Aqua builds from here to get a very good idea as to what they will and won't support in their Beta release. Specifically, we know the following:

1. OOo 3.0 will only import, not export Office OpenXML files
2. OOo 3.0 will have the charting module and will add PDF import that are not in NeoOffice

Thoughts?

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject:

We've always kept that page comparing the latest stable/released/supported version of the other products when our version was released. Among other things, that means we can know the set of features and limitations the product actually has Wink It's unfair both to the compared product and to users of our page to compare based on our best estimates of what an unreleased product may or may not have. (OTOH, when the developers have publicly announced that a soon-upcoming release will have X feature, we have often added a "footnote" to that effect, e.g. the OOo address book integration.)

So I'd prefer to see the page compare 2.2.3 to OOo 2.3.x (or is 2.4.x out?) and Office 2008.

In particular, besides the OOXML formats, we should note that Office now runs natively on Intel Macs and is a Universal Binary (which we know some people are unhappy that Neo's not). I think Office's language/script support has been vastly improved (though still no RTL support, despite promises of that during development Razz ), too.

I've gone ahead and copied the 2.2.2 page into the 2.2.3 page and made a couple of changes, but work remains.

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
So I'd prefer to see the page compare 2.2.3 to OOo 2.3.x (or is 2.4.x out?) and Office 2008.

Sounds good. BTW, OOo 2.4 is at RC4 which means that its feature set is frozen. I found the detailed release notes for it here.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject:

One note: when we are updating the Neo 2.2.3 feature comparisons, we should not try to give NeoOffice any bias. The first paragraph, in particular may be a bit of a stretch, IMO. Yes, NeoOffice has some features over MS Office, but MS Office has many features that users consider indispensible.

In general, my experience is that it is safer to understate our product rather than overstate. With understating features, users can be pleasantly surprised if our statements are incorrect. However, with overstating users will be sorely disappointed when we are incorrect.

Just my two cents,

Patrick

Last edited by pluby on Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:40 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
One note: when we are updating the Neo 2.2.3 feature comparisons, we should try to give NeoOffice any bias.

You mean "shouldn't give NeoOffice any bias", I presume..

-Oz
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
pluby wrote:
One note: when we are updating the Neo 2.2.3 feature comparisons, we should try to give NeoOffice any bias.

You mean "shouldn't give NeoOffice any bias", I presume..

-Oz

Good catch. Yes, I meant "should not give NeoOffice any bias" and have edited my post to avoid further confusion.

Patrick
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject:

One thing to consider adding to the comparison chart...OOo 2.3 for X11 is at best only partially compatible with Leopard. Anything that requires Java (like the entire Base module) won't work on Leopard.

I've seen lots of posts about this on the OOo Community forums. Several regulars there have been encouraging Mac users to give NeoOffice a try. Smile

Lorinda
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject:

I agree with Smokey. No need to go into features that haven't been delivered yet. Two questions:

*Is there a list for new features in 2.3 that we need to add as well? Since we are now lagging two .subreleases...

*How can we compare their implementation of media support to NeoOffice's?

I also have something unrelated: there is a project at MacForge to switch the from old Xfree86 X11 to the new X.org. I do not know if it is anywhere near production quality, but I wonder if RetroOffice works under it.

Best wishes,
Oscar

djpimley
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
Yes, I meant "should not give NeoOffice any bias" and have edited my post to avoid further confusion.

I think you had it right the first time. Wink
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:

I also have something unrelated: there is a project at MacForge to switch the from old Xfree86 X11 to the new X.org. I do not know if it is anywhere near production quality, but I wonder if RetroOffice works under it.

Yes. This is the same X11 that is used under Leopard, only the project is able to push releases more aggressively than Apple:

10.5.2's version of X11 is somewhere between the 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 packages released through this site.

That being said, there have been numerous reports on Apple Discussions of OpenOffice.org not working with the newer (2.1.2 and later) versions of XQuartz. Not sure if they are bugs that will be fixed, but I prefer to stick to whatever comes through OS updates…
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
*Is there a list for new features in 2.3 that we need to add as well? Since we are now lagging two .subreleases...

NeoOffice_2.2.3_New_Features

ovvldc wrote:

Pick a few common filetypes, or a few usage patterns?

I updated the introductory text a little bit, to remind readers the other software may offer things they need that NeoOffice does not provide. How does the proposed text sound?

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
ovvldc wrote:

Pick a few common filetypes, or a few usage patterns?

They should support the same file types as the native QuickTime code is what accepts or rejects the file type; the OOo code will pass the file directly to it in NeoOffice and OOo Aqua so this should be no different.

In fact, for all practical purposes, NeoOffice's and OOo Aqua's QuickTime support should appear identical to users. The only real difference is that the OOo Aqua is missing some small implementation pieces. There are several OOo required callbacks that NeoOffice has implemented but OOo Aqua has not finished implementing yet.

Edit: Just to be complete, OOo will only have QuickTime support in the OOo 3.0 Aqua Beta since QuickTime and X11 are incompatible.

Patrick
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I spent some time this afternoon with the 2.2.3 Feature Comparison page and got rid of everything I saw that was glaringly wrong (alas, poor Microsoft, only adding one new script to 2008's language support :p ).

As always, I'd appreciate more eyes on it, so that we can consider it "done" (at least until OOo 2.4 ships and we know what processor-OS version-language combos will exist and we update for that) and our fabulous multilingual wiki elf team can start their versions.

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoWiki and Website Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2