NeoOffice :: View topic - OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate 2 for Test
OOo 1.1.2 GM Candidate 2 for Test

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:31 pm    Post subject: README Edits

Please browse through the revised readme at the following URL and provide commentary:

http://www.dashboardbuddha.com/OOo/README_OOO.html

ed
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 8:39 pm    Post subject:

Quote:
I'm probably going to go ahead and work on those README changes. Question...do you think the README edits are enough to warrant doing a new installer build, or should we just incorporate those into the online README notes posted on the OOo website?

Gee, I don't know the answer to that last question... I guess it's kinda up to you folks. It would be nice for the newest version of the README to say something about:

Quote:
For the latest version of this README file, including additions and corrections, please see such-and-such...

But if the download page says it, and there's not much chance of anyone getting the Installer from somewhere else, then...

I guess my preference is to get it 100% perfect, but of course in reality that's not always possible.

Nice work btw.
W

PS-- one tip I'd like to see somewhere in the README is how to turn on focus-follows-mouse-, ie type:

Code:
defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_ffm true

in the terminal. It really helped in Gimp, and I think it might be useful for OOo users as well.
Waldo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: README Edits

OPENSTEP wrote:
Please browse through the revised readme at the following URL and provide commentary:

ed

" If you do not have it, run the OpenOffice.org installer from a hard drive and have the CD handy to insert when prompted." --> run the installer from a hard drive as opposed to what? Would it be bad to run it from a CD or shared disk, etc? Also, maybe replace "the CD" with "Install Disk 3" for consistency.

Again, I would put the UPGRADING section before the KNOWN LIMITATIONS.

"you wil need to perform" ---> "you WILL need.."

"Fonts will be migrated by this installer, but settings changes will need to be reapplied manually." ---> "The OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 installer will migrate fonts from your older installation to the new one. However, you will need to manually re-apply your settings." (trying to avoid tech-ese with terms like "migrate" and also use active verbage)

"If you want to retain OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 on your computer, it is recommended that you rename its installation directory. " --- Could you add something like, "The default name for the 1.0.3 installation folder is XXXXX and you will find it in the Applications directory" (with Applications and the name of the folder bolded).

GENERAL NOTE: Remember, that in Mac the "directories" are typically called "folders" so maybe we should use that.. (?)

"If you do not remove or rename the OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 installation directory, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version instead of launching the new version. Each user will need to select the new version as their preferred version in the Start OpenOffice.org preferences. This can be changed by choosing Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu after Start OpenOffice.org has been launched. After a change to the preferred version, both OpenOffice.org and Start OpenOffice.org need to be exited and relaunched before changes take effect." -> "If you do not remove or rename the older 1.0.3 folder, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version. To fix this, launch Start OpenOffice.org, then select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar. Next, select the new version as your preferred version. Finally, quit and relaunch Start OpenOffice.org "

" If the .sversionrc files are not removed, they will not be properly updated to run OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 GM." Don't need this sentence.

"If you have manually installed or reconfigured your fonts for a previous installation of OpenOffice.org, be sure to retain the share/fonts/truetype directory from that previous OpenOffice.org version. After OpenOffice.org 1.1.2 installs, copy that directory from the previous version over the corresponding directory in the new 1.1.2 installation to restore your font configuration." --> "If you have manually installed or reconfigured your fonts with a previous installation of OpenOffice.org, keep the truetype folder (in the fonts folder in the share folder) from that previous OpenOffice.org version. To do this, first install OpenOffice.org 1.1.2. Then copy the truetype folder from the previous version over the corresponding folder in the new 1.1.2 installation." NOTE-- I'm not sure I understand the above instructions. Is this correct?

That's all I got! Looks good.
W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: README Edits

OPENSTEP wrote:

ed

Looks good...a couple more typos Smile

Upgrading: "If you have other versions of OpenOffice.org installed, you wil need"

There's a partial unclosed </p>(?)tag in the Starting OpenOffice.org Manually section, just after the colon and before the bullets (it doesn't show up in Safari, but I'm seeing it elsewhere):
Code:

(do <B>not</B> include the bullets):</

That's it from me! Very Happy

Smokey
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: README Edits

Waldo wrote:
"If you want to retain OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 on your computer, it is recommended that you rename its installation directory. " --- Could you add something like, "The default name for the 1.0.3 installation folder is XXXXX and you will find it in the Applications directory" (with Applications and the name of the folder bolded).

This shouldn't be anything other than /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3, right? 1.1.x is the first Mac version that can be installed somewhere else?

Waldo wrote:
"If you do not remove or rename the OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 installation directory, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version [...]" -> "If you do not remove or rename the older 1.0.3 folder, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version. To fix this, launch Start OpenOffice.org, then select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar. Next, select the new version as your preferred version. Finally, quit and relaunch Start OpenOffice.org "

Because S_OOo also launches OOo103 in this case, one must quit OOo and S_OOo and then relaunch S_OOo after changing the prefs...not completely clear to me in this version.

Waldo wrote:
"If you have manually installed or reconfigured your fonts for a previous installation of OpenOffice.org [...]" --> "If you have manually installed or reconfigured your fonts with a previous installation of OpenOffice.org, keep the truetype folder (in the fonts folder in the share folder) from that previous OpenOffice.org version. To do this, first install OpenOffice.org 1.1.2. Then copy the truetype folder from the previous version over the corresponding folder in the new 1.1.2 installation." NOTE-- I'm not sure I understand the above instructions. Is this correct?

1. Save old folder; 2. Install OOo112; 3. Replace new folder with the saved old one. To me, the new instructions ("First install OOo...") might cause someone to install without saving the old one first....

Waldo: With all respect and appreciation of your focus on making the Readme read correctly for the average Mac user Smile, this particular case, imho, is an "advanced user case" where anyone who wants to do this will know the Unix path convention and spelling it out makes the already-long Readme longer and more confusing(?) Smile

It's hard to balance notes to the UNIX gurus and to the average Mac user to whom this installer makes OOo available (all double-clicking!) Smile Even harder when Ed gives us four days' notice of his deadline Very Happy

FWIW, my 2¢

Smokey

P.S. on that note, Ed, is the released installer dimage going to be called "gm" or "final"? Smile
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 9:57 pm    Post subject:

Above feedback applied. Please reload the URL and reverify:

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:08 pm    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Above feedback applied. Please reload the URL and reverify:

ed

All those changes look OK to me, but fixing the errors I introduced:

README_OOO.html wrote:
• Attempting to load a remote file via the Open URL menu or the Open File menu may result in an unexpected error in some cases.

I see now (and missed earlier when I wrote that sentence) that you are using the Menu > item convention, so my "Open File menu" above should probably be "File > Open" instead. And what is that filename/Open URL drop-down list-box thing supposed to be called, exactly?

But that's it from me, and I'm really off to sleep now Smile Thanks for putting up with my nit-picking.

Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:38 pm    Post subject:

OK, changed the menu item syntax. I also applied some changes as suggested by Louis too.

Since it seems like most all of our commentary is on the readme and things that are too major to tackle in the installer, I'm hoping to put together a new installer with these documentation changes and get it up and going by Friday. So I guess Thursday is the deadline for any additional drastic edits. Since there don't seem to be any major crashes in the binary (and I've been using it to write tech specs since its creation...) I think it's at least solid enough at this point in time Razz

The readme will be online as well so hopefully we can create a more dynamic document as we find more issues people find after trying to install Smile

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2004 11:47 pm    Post subject:

Oops, missed one more typo:

README_OOO.html wrote:
Bullets imported from Microsoft Office documents may be different in apperance.

appearance, not apperance. I thought I paid close attention to all those wavy red lines the last time through, but I guess not (they look better in NeoJ )Smile

I just ran it through the pop-up window spellcheck, and that was the only thing it found that wasn't computerese. Finis? Smile

OPENSTEP wrote:
The readme will be online as well so hopefully we can create a more dynamic document as we find more issues people find after trying to install Smile

Sounds good!

Really off to bed now (once I finish this bug report for Patrick....)

Smokey
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Readme and binary

OPENSTEP wrote:
Since it seems like most all of our commentary is on the readme and things that are too major to tackle in the installer, I'm hoping to put together a new installer with these documentation changes and get it up and going by Friday. So I guess Thursday is the deadline for any additional drastic edits.

I pretty much agree. I just sent you some feedback via EMail, and I will look at the latest ReadMe tomorrow. It seems that those of us reviewing the ReadMe have identified a number of things to be fixed in each edit, and I think the general consensus of pointing a CD based ReadMe to an up to date ReadMe online is the way to go, to incorporate last minute changes, and to improve over time.

OPENSTEP wrote:
Since there don't seem to be any major crashes in the binary (and I've been using it to write tech specs since its creation...) I think it's at least solid enough at this point in time Razz

On the whole I agree, but then I don't use OOo as heavily as other people. The crash with opening documents remotely via URL is a fairly critical bug, and the incomplete scanner support is just an oversight (close, but no cigar Wink ), both of which are already fixed with additional 1 line patches beyond what you built your code with. Perhaps if you decide not to rebuild the binary, we can point people to a place they can download replacement libraries (built with those patches), assuming this isn't a problem with licensing.

Or we could wait say 1 month for major feedback to come from users of this version, then release an OOo 1.1.3 (pre-release?) for Mac OS X, that fixes the easy to fix (critical) bugs noted since OOo 1.1.2 - I don't know what the schedule (if any) is for OOo 1.1.3 on all platforms.

OPENSTEP wrote:
The readme will be online as well so hopefully we can create a more dynamic document as we find more issues people find after trying to install

Yep!

Regards, Terry
jakeOSX
Ninja
Ninja

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 5:03 am    Post subject:

This is definatly a good use of the Wiki. Once we have a semi finished version we can set up a README page where we can keep it a living document (undead documents are just no fun)

-j

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 9:47 am    Post subject: Re: README Edits

sardisson wrote:
This shouldn't be anything other than /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3, right? 1.1.x is the first Mac version that can be installed somewhere else?

Waldo wrote:
"If you do not remove or rename the OpenOffice.org 1.0.3 installation directory, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version [...]" -> "If you do not remove or rename the older 1.0.3 folder, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version. To fix this, launch Start OpenOffice.org, then select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar. Next, select the new version as your preferred version. Finally, quit and relaunch Start OpenOffice.org "

Because S_OOo also launches OOo103 in this case, one must quit OOo and S_OOo and then relaunch S_OOo after changing the prefs...not completely clear to me in this version.

Then we should say that, maybe like this:

"To fix this, launch Start OpenOffice.org, then select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar." ---> "To fix this, first quit Start OpenOffice.org and OpenOffice.org. Next, launch Start OpenOffice.org and select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar."

Would this address the issue?

Quote:
Waldo wrote:
"If you have manually installed or reconfigured your fonts for a previous installation of OpenOffice.org [...]" --> "If you have manually installed or reconfigured your fonts with a previous installation of OpenOffice.org, keep the truetype folder (in the fonts folder in the share folder) from that previous OpenOffice.org version. To do this, first install OpenOffice.org 1.1.2. Then copy the truetype folder from the previous version over the corresponding folder in the new 1.1.2 installation." NOTE-- I'm not sure I understand the above instructions. Is this correct?

1. Save old folder; 2. Install OOo112; 3. Replace new folder with the saved old one. To me, the new instructions ("First install OOo...") might cause someone to install without saving the old one first....

I'm confused-- would the new OOo overwrite the old one? If so, then we should say something like "Move the truetype folder (in the fonts folder in the share folder) in your old installation to a safe location such as the Desktop before installing the new version." as a first step.

Quote:
Waldo: With all respect and appreciation of your focus on making the Readme read correctly for the average Mac user Smile, this particular case, imho, is an "advanced user case" where anyone who wants to do this will know the Unix path convention and spelling it out makes the already-long Readme longer and more confusing(?) Smile

Well nothing I suggest is intended to make it more confusing. It should be equally readable to the "advanced" and "unadvanced" user cases. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive... However, if you look at the overall length of the README from three days ago, I think you'll find its shorter overall. I spent a few hours shortening, restructuring, eliminating redundancies, and overall tightening the language. There are just a few places where I think clarity justifies the added length.

Quote:
It's hard to balance notes to the UNIX gurus and to the average Mac user to whom this installer makes OOo available (all double-clicking!) Smile Even harder when Ed gives us four days' notice of his deadline Very Happy

Agreed. I'm going off the assumption that UNIX gurus can digest instructions intended for less-experienced Mac users, but not vice-versa. Wink Anyway, it's lookin' good!

W
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2004 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: README Edits

Waldo wrote:
"If you do not remove or rename the older 1.0.3 folder, Start OpenOffice.org will continue to launch the old version. To fix this, launch Start OpenOffice.org, then select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar. Next, select the new version as your preferred version. Finally, quit and relaunch Start OpenOffice.org "

Then we should say that, maybe like this:

"To fix this, launch Start OpenOffice.org, then select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar." ---> "To fix this, first quit Start OpenOffice.org and OpenOffice.org. Next, launch Start OpenOffice.org and select Preferences under the Start OpenOffice.org menu bar."

Would this address the issue?

To me the new one sounds backwards. Smile I think Ed edited the your first suggestion's last line to say "Finally, quit the applications and relaunch Start OpenOffice.org" and that sounds good, although my personal preference would be "... quit OOo and S_OOo and relaunch S_OOo" Smile

With reference to <OOo>/share/fonts/truetype:

Waldo wrote:
I'm confused-- would the new OOo overwrite the old one? If so, then we should say something like "Move the truetype folder (in the fonts folder in the share folder) in your old installation to a safe location such as the Desktop before installing the new version." as a first step.

Yes, if someone has a 1.1.2 installation from one of the TPs or RCs, the installer will overwrite the older truetype folder with the newly-created one. In most cases this really shouldn't matter, but Ed and Alan explained this section is partially for people like the Sun folks, who have a specially-configured OOo fonts folder (e.g., small number of cross-platform fonts rather than all the Mac fonts). They need to make sure they save the truetype folder from their 1.1.x or 1.0.3 install and replace the newly-created (all the Mac fonts...) 1.1.2 one with the old one once the install is complete.

Waldo wrote:
Well nothing I suggest is intended to make it more confusing. It should be equally readable to the "advanced" and "unadvanced" user cases. They shouldn't be mutually exclusive...

I understand...I guess I just find following long paths easier if they are expressed as paths rather than words Smile

Waldo wrote:
However, if you look at the overall length of the README from three days ago, I think you'll find its shorter overall. I spent a few hours shortening, restructuring, eliminating redundancies, and overall tightening the language.[...] Anyway, it's lookin' good!

Agreed! Smile
Smokey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: README Edits

Waldo wrote:
I'm confused-- would the new OOo overwrite the old one?

No, the new installer won't overwrite the old OOo version. I think even if you specify it to be installed in a folder named "/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3" it will still go into a new subfolder within the old installation. So we shouldn't have to worry about adding instructions on moving the truetype folder into a safe location. It'll stay there until OOo 1.0.3 is manually uninstalled Smile

ed
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Jun 25, 2004 12:54 pm    Post subject:

OK, punt on this topic...visit the "1.1.2 Final" topic for thread continuation.

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org X11 Testing All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2