NeoOffice :: View topic - Adding OpenOffice.org performance to NeoOffice
Adding OpenOffice.org performance to NeoOffice

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject:

mat wrote:
just one question: which version of OdfConverter did you include? 1.1 (which was released this month)?

pluby wrote:
We are using odf-converter release 1.1 plus a few patches for non-Windows platforms.

I'm not sure why odf-converter only released their 1.1 release this month (according to their blog), but the tag has been in their SVN repository for three months. As Patrick pointed out, we are using release 1.1. It was included in NeoOffice 2.2.2 Patch 4 last December.

I remember when Patrick added the new odf-converter release, and I visited their blog to check what the new release included, but didn't find anything about it there! Keeping up with the latest odf-converter developments isn't easy Wink
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:31 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
If the file opens in NeoOffice, there are probably a few environment variables that need to be set. Here is the list that NeoOffice sets before invoking OdfConverter. You will probably need to do the same in your Terminal shell:

MONO_ROOT /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS
MONO_CFG_DIR /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS
MONO_CONFIG /Applications/NeoOffice.app/Contents/MacOS/mono/2.0/machine.config

One of the things I'd like to see on the wiki at some point is an article about batch conversion, which comes up fairly often here.

There are also a couple of macros that offer batch conversion functionality that we could list on the page.

Smokey

Sentinel

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject:

I apologize for going off on a bit of a tangent here, but I have looked at the OpenOffice 3.0 M2 alpha and was unable to find any significant feature changes.

I guess that shouldn't be too surprising in an alpha, but I will be quite disappointed if 3.0 doesn't have more going for it than is currently apparent.

FYI, it was also pretty obnoxious that it set itself as default application for a variety of document formats. I felt that was very inappropriate for an application that is months away from being ready for prime time. It was easier to throw it out, which I did, rather than manually reset the default app for every format it hijacked.
human
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject:

I find it interesting that the version of OOo Aqua I downloaded (080314) bills itself as a "beta" version on its splash screen and 'about' page, yet the Web page refers to it as an "alpha" version. They need to make up their minds. Rolling Eyes
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject:

Yeah, and many of them call it pre-alpha on the mailing list Smile.

From what I hear, beta is certainly overestimating their progress. But it may stem from OOo on first tier platforms being in beta right now. The Mac porting group may have forgotten to adjust the versioning strings and images.

best wishes,
Oscar

pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject:

I felt the need to bump this topic up to the top as recently I have been seeing blogs about how blazingly fast the OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta is compared to NeoOffice.

I have been using the latest builds and on my machines, both launch time and scrolling in large text documents is very noticeably slower in OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta. Even when doing a warm restart, OpenOffice.org takes about as long as NeoOffice to display a splash screen and opening either a blank Writer document or opening an existing Writer document from Finder takes several seconds longer than NeoOffice.

Is my experience normal? Does anyone else see better performance in OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta? If so, let me know as we definitely want to make use of any OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta performance gains.

Patrick
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:36 am    Post subject:

firts open of neooffice: 35 seconds
opening a write document: 8 seconds.

firts open of openoffice 3: 19 seconds
opening a write document: 20 seconds.

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:42 am    Post subject:

fabriziovenerandi wrote:
firts open of neooffice: 35 seconds
opening a write document: 8 seconds.

firts open of openoffice 3: 19 seconds
opening a write document: 20 seconds.

Interesting. I get very different numbers for NeoOffice:

NeoOffice 2.2.4 Patch 2 Test Patch 3 on a G4 1.67 GHz macine. To summarize, on my machine NeoOffice is slightly faster and, if you go through the Start Center, is significantly slower:

First launch after reboot until Writer document is on screen and ready for key entry: 22 seconds

Second launch by dragging simple text document to app icon until document is ready for key entry: 10 seconds

OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta m26 (latest) build:

First launch after reboot until Start Center is ready for use: 19 seconds
From clicking on Text Document in Start Center to Writer document is on screen and ready for key entry: 12 seconds

Second launch by dragging simple text document to app icon until document is ready for key entry: 13 seconds
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:

NeoOffice 2.2.4 Patch 2 vs. OOo-Dev DEV300_m27, Mac mini (1.25 Ghz G4, 1 GB RAM, 7200 rpm disk):

First launch of NeoOffice (to blank Writer document, ready for key entry): 32 seconds;

First launch of OOo Aqua (to start center): 20 seconds;

First launch of OOo Aqua (start center to blank Writer document, ready for key entry): 12 seconds;

Second launch of NeoOffice, opening simple .odt document, NeoOffice closed, drag document to the Neo icon (until document ready for editing): 15 seconds;

Second launch of OOo Aqua, opening simple .odt document, OOo closed, drag document to the OOo icon (until document ready for editing): 20 seconds;
fabriziovenerandi
Keymaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject:

I made another test, ppc 1,33:

first startup:
neo 36 sec.
OO 23 sec. + 25 to a white write doc.

Opening a 42 pages write doc.
neo 17 sec.
Oo 32

Scrolling 10 pages of the 42 pages doc.
neo 58 sec.
Oo 1:32 sec.

f.

Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I felt the need to bump this topic up to the top as recently I have been seeing blogs about how blazingly fast the OpenOffice.org 3.0 Beta is compared to NeoOffice.

Do you suppose they're comparing OOo 3.0 Beta on Intel to Neo on PPC? I haven't seen any of them, but it would not surprise me at all if people were not doing apples-to-apples comparison (beyond the difference of comparing Neo 2.x to OOo 3.x)....

Smokey

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:45 am    Post subject:

sardisson wrote:
Do you suppose they're comparing OOo 3.0 Beta on Intel to Neo on PPC? I haven't seen any of them, but it would not surprise me at all if people were not doing apples-to-apples comparison (beyond the difference of comparing Neo 2.x to OOo 3.x)....

I would not be surprised if they are not doing any comparisons at all. After all, we know that OOo 3.0 Beta's text layout is unoptimized and, given that we spent an enormous amount of profiling and development work to optimize this, I am not surprised that opening and scrolling through multi-page documents is significantly slower in OOo 3.0 Beta than in NeoOffice 2.2.4.

Patrick
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Development All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2