· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Yet another start-up problem
Yet another start-up problem

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jasta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 2:33 am    Post subject: Yet another start-up problem

Hey all,

Seems lots of ppl are having start up problems, but I cant really find mine here.

Im using X11 on a 867 Mhz G4, running OS X 10.2.6.

If I try to start OOo with the Start OpenOffice script, I get a "cant find X11.app" error, and since the installer says to do it manually, so I did.
I also read somewhere in this forum to leave out the /usr/X11R6/lib part, so I did that too. I still cant get OOo to start, and not being to experienced yet (Im still learning...) I cant figure out whats wrong.

Here is what I get:
[my:~] jazz% setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
[my:~] jazz% setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/filter:/
[my:~] jazz% cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program
[my:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program] jazz% sh soffice
soffice: dirname: command not found
soffice: basename: command not found
soffice: [: =: unary operator expected
/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/sopatchlevel.sh: dirname: command not found
soffice: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/.bin: No such file or directory
soffice: exec: /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.0.3/program/.bin: cannot execute: No such file or directory

Of course, I have checked manually, to make sure that all the files are where they should be, and they are.

I have also asked more Linux and Unix savvy friends, and they cant figure it out either, so here I am...

Does anybody have a any clues? It would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Jazz
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 7:36 am    Post subject:

Jazz,

I believe that your problem is due to these two errors:
Code:

Since the startup script cannot find either the "dirname" or "basename" commands, it tries to execute a non-existent program called ".bin" instead of "soffice.bin".

To fix this problem, you need to set your PATH environment variable so that it includes the directory where these two commands are. Both "dirname" and "basename" are in the "/usr/bin" directory try executing the following command and then rerunning the OOo startup:

Code:
setenv PATH "/usr/bin:$PATH"

Hope that helps,

Patrick
Jasta

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 8:21 am    Post subject: Yet another start-up problem Yet another start-up problem

Since Im new at this, I wasnt sure the " where supposed to be there, so I tried both with and without them.

Unfortunately, Patricks suggestion did nothing. I get the exact same error msgs as before.

Anything else I could/should try?

/Jazz
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 10:39 am    Post subject:

Jazz,

I wonder if the problem is that your system has no "basename" or "dirname" commands. What output do you get from the following commands?:
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/dirname
ls -l /usr/bin/basename
echo $PATH

Patrick[/code]
Jasta
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:02 am    Post subject: Yet another start-up problem

Hey Patrick,

Seems you where right. This is what I get when I try what you suggested:
[my:~] jazz% ls -l /usr/bin/dirname
ls: /usr/bin/dirname: No such file or directory
[my:~] jazz% ls -l /usr/bin/basename
ls: /usr/bin/basename: No such file or directory
[my:~] jazz% echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/jazz:/usr/X11R6/bin

Any ideas why I dont have these things?

/Jazz
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Yet another start-up problem

Jasta wrote:
[my:~] jazz% echo $PATH
/usr/bin:/bin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/Users/jazz:/usr/X11R6/bin

Any ideas why I dont have these things?

/Jazz

I think you might have done a custom install of Mac OS X, and deselected the "BSD Commands" item.

Or you have a corrupted hard disk.

I guess OOo (and "Start OpenOffice.org") makes an assumption that the basic command line tools we require, are installed. I plan to try and improve checking for this condition in a future version of "Start OpenOffice.org".

I suggest you try to do a custom install of the "BSD Commands" using your original installation CD - the Installer may or may not let you. Unfortunately you have probably installed Mac OS X updates since that original installation, and strictly speaking you should re-apply those updates, but then again the Installer may not let you. The real answer is to do a clean re-install.

Regards, Terry
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 12:19 pm    Post subject:

Jazz,

This won't help your situation, but it may help us improve the next version of the startup script. What is the output of the following commands?:
Code:
ls -l /usr/bin/awk
ls -l /usr/bin/sed

Thanks,

Patrick
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2003 11:48 pm    Post subject: Installation method

Yes, the BSD utilities are required to run OOo's startup scripts. This is the BSD installation option that Terry & Patrick are mentioning. IIRC, the BSD Tools were not on by defualt in 10.0 and 10.1, but I think the BSD tools option was made on by default in 10.2. The grapevine indicates it's going to be turned on by default if it isn't already. I've also had issues when I've accidentally removed those from my hard drive too...

In any case, to make sure they're on there during an installation of OS X, after you choose the install destination click on the "Customize" button and make sure the BSD package is checked. It may actually be able to be installed as a standalone package off of CD1 or CD2 of your OS X installer.

Many Unix-style programs (e.g. command line tools or X11 based apps) require the standard set of BSD command line utilities to be installed and even some regular "mac" programs are starting to use them, so it's probably a good idea to get them on your box anyhow.

ed
Jasta
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 11:25 am    Post subject: Yet another start-up problem

Hey guys,

Thanx for all the help. As you suggested, I hadnt installed the BSD subsystem for some reason. I bought my machine used and pre-installed, so I guess thats why.

I didnt even have to boot from CD. There is an optional installer on it for just the BSD system. At least on my CD (MAC OS X 10.2)
Thought this might be good to know, for future reference.

Unfortunately, I installed this before reading Patricks post about the command lines. Everything works beautifully now. If there is a way to remove the BSD system, Id be more than happy to do it, and try those command lines for you.

One of the reasons I wanted to try OOo (Exept getting rid of MS Wink) was to learn more of how to use the system. All this seems to have set me on my way. Very Happy

Thanx again for all the help, and let me know if I can do anything.

/Jazz
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject:

I suspect that if you had tried to run those command lines you would have gotten a "Command not found" error.

Thanks for the heads up on what the problem was and how to work around it. Next installer we put out I'll add in an explicit check to make sure that the destination computer has the BSD package installed and if not put in a note on where they can find it on their Jag CDs. Thanks!

ed
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1