NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
narf
The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject:

yakusha,

I have something for you to try:

Select the menu File :: Print and choose Preview

1. Does the text get cut off in Preview?

2. In Preview select the menu Tools :: Get Info. What page size is reported there?

Thanks --fran
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:22 am    Post subject:

Hi,

1. text looks just perfect in Preview.
2. 11.0 x 22.0 cm , envelope size

greetz,

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject:

yakusha wrote:
1. text looks just perfect in Preview.

This is good to know. That means that NeoOffice is creating the correct print output.

One more step to add to end, what happens when you hit the Print button from Preview? Is the text still clipped? If so, it appears that the problem is with the HP print driver.

yakusha wrote:
2. 11.0 x 22.0 cm , envelope size

This may be a stupid question, is the envelope actually 11.0 x 22.0 cm?

thanks --fran
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 8:57 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:

One more step to add to end, what happens when you hit the Print button from Preview? Is the text still clipped? If so, it appears that the problem is with the HP print driver.

Yup, still clipped.
Quote:

If you go to File::Printersetting, you get window with three drop-down menus
among which "Paper size", there its called "DL-envelope" .
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Envelope go to International standard sizes.
At least I bought them ( the actual envelopes) as DL standard size, I'll take the ruler, measure and do some testing.

Greetz,

The Anomaly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject:

yakusha wrote:
narf wrote:

what happens when you hit the Print button from Preview? Is the text still clipped? If so, it appears that the problem is with the HP print driver.

Yup, still clipped.

Thanks for checking the printing.

Unfortunately it looks like the problem is with the HP print driver. NeoOffice is handing the complete image to the print services, as evidenced by what appears when the Preview button is clicked in the Print dialog box.

The printout is clipped whether it is from NeoOffice or from Preview.

One suggestion is to check and see if your print drivers are up to date at the HP site:

http://welcome.hp.com/country/us/en/welcome.html#Support

At the upper right hand corner there is an option to change countries since the default appears to be US/English.

I hope this helps,
--fran
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject:

Hi,
Quote:

Apparently not Surprised , they turned out to be ISO C6/C5 size, one of the in between sizes. So I created a custom paper size i.a.w ISO C6/C5. Redid everything and the net result is ... the same. They still got clipped.

greetz,

Operator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:21 am    Post subject:

Hi,

I don't know if it has a link to this but I stumbled on something I find a little strange.
If I go the Paper size menu from within NeoOffice I get another list than if I do the same from within Firefox.
Arrow File::Printersettings::Paper size

greetz,

The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:

yakusha wrote:
I don't know if it has a link to this but I stumbled on something I find a little strange.
If I go the Paper size menu from within NeoOffice I get another list than if I do the same from within Firefox.
Arrow File::Printersettings::Paper size

This is normal. The native dialog that appears when you select the File :: Printer Settings menu shows the list of paper sizes that your printer driver says it can support. In contrast, the list of paper sizes in the dialog that appears when you select the Format :: Page menu is just a list of common paper sizes.

If you set your paper size to a paper size that your printer does not support via the Format :: Page menu, NeoOffice will try to find the closest matching paper size that your printer supports. However, neither NeoOffice nor any other Mac OS X application can "talk" to your printer and determine what paper size is actually loaded in your printer.

So, if you NeoOffice guesses a different paper size than what is actually in your printer, the print driver will likely shift and/or clip what is actually printed.

To sum it up, you have to set your document to the exact dimensions that your printer driver supports. Otherwise, sending slightly too large or small print output will get shifted or clipped output with most any printer.

Patrick
yakusha
Operator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:53 am    Post subject:

narf wrote:

One suggestion is to check and see if your print drivers are up to date at the HP site:

yup, printer driver is up to speed, version checks out.
thanks,

Patrick,
just wondering, but thanks for explaining.

Like I said its not big deal for me, but if I do find a solution or work-around that works for me I let known on trinity, Patrick did give me something to think about.

greetz,

Agent

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject:

First, I've resorted to using OpenOffice to print my envelopes and dealing with the differences between OO & Neo.

Cogitating a bit about the problem of return addresses being cut off. I sometimes am obsessive and compulsive.

I tried printing a conventional text document in landscape both on NeoOffice and OpenOffice. I also saved them as .pdf's.

from OO, the landscape .pdf has the left margin at the top of the page viewed in Adobe in "portrait" orientation.

from NeoO, the landscape .pdf has the right margin at the top of the page.

actually printing, what is at the top of the page comes out first. so with OpenO the left side comes out first; and with Neo the right side comes out first.

so it seems to me that Neo is rotating pages to the left for landscape while OO (and others) rotate to the right. does this make sense? am I on to something or just blowing hot air late in the evening?
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject:

JohnM wrote:
so it seems to me that Neo is rotating pages to the left for landscape while OO (and others) rotate to the right. does this make sense? am I on to something or just blowing hot air late in the evening?

Correct. OpenOffice.org's printing code is brand new and does not share any code with NeoOffice's printing code so what you are seeing is the different design decisions that the OpenOffice.org engineers made when implementing native Mac OS X printing.

In this case of printing, several years ago we found some bugs in Apple's Java code that forced us to abandon the use of true native print settings like the TextEdit and Safari applications do and, instead, emulate landscape by setting the native print settings to portrait and rotating the content. OpenOffice.org's engineers seem to have followed our lead but instead of rotating the content 90 degrees, the OpenOffice.org engineers chose to rotate the content 270 degrees. This seems odd to me but since OpenOffice.org is written by Windows and Linux engineers, I suspect that they have copied Windows and/or Linux standard behavior.

Patrick
JohnM
Agent

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:28 pm    Post subject:

I just received the following message and missed this info posted over on Bugzilla.

Quote:
Subject:
[Bug 3319] Changed - envelope printing - return address cut off
Summary: envelope printing - return address cut off
URL: https://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5628
Product: NeoOffice
Version: 2.2.5
To be Closed in Version: None
Closed in Version: None
Component: All
! Status: Closed
! Resolution: Not a bug
Severity: Unassigned
OS/Version: Mac OS X 10.5 Intel
Priority: 1 - Low
============================================================================
COMMENTS

----- Posted by **** at 12:22 PM on 12-10-2008 -----
I was following the discussion on Trinity regarding this issue and I
read pluby's post addressing landscape printing orientation in NeoOffice
versus OpenOffice.org:

http://trinity.neooffice.org/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=49027#49027

To test pluby's theory, can you try the following steps using
TextEdit?:

1. In the Finder, drag the .odt file that you attached to
this bug to the /Applications/TextEdit application icon. This should
launch Apple's TextEdit application.

2. In TextEdit, select the File
:: Page Setup menu.

3. In the popup menu that appears, change the
following 3 items:

- Format for: choose your Canon printer
- Paper
size: choose Commercial 10
- Orientation: choose the middle icon

Select the File :: Print menu and tell us if the output is rotated the
same as NeoOffice or if the output is rotated 180 degrees from
NeoOffice's output

5. Repeat steps 3 and 4 except this time set
Orientation in Page Setup dialog to the rightmost icon and leave the
other 2 settings as you set them in step 3.

----- Posted by franb at neooffice dot org at 10:29 PM on 01-11-2009 -----
This discussion was continued on the Trinity thread referenced at the
above url.

Closing this as not a bug. It was a printer specific
issue.

I tried opening the envelope in TextEdit as requested.

I have no middle button for orientation, just portrait or landscape.
Because of the (stupid, idiotic) fixed 1" margins imposed by TextEdit and because TextEdit ignores the NeoOffice frames, the output as seen in print preview is messed up. The document shows as envelope(s) with the envelope(s) displayed horizontally and the print is carried over to a second or third page/envelope.

So this procedure appears to be of little/no assistance.

Edit by pluby: removed e-mail addresses to reduce spamming.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 2:44 pm    Post subject:

JohnM wrote:
I tried opening the envelope in TextEdit as requested.

I have no middle button for orientation, just portrait or landscape.
Because of the (stupid, idiotic) fixed 1" margins imposed by TextEdit and because TextEdit ignores the NeoOffice frames, the output as seen in print preview is messed up. The document shows as envelope(s) with the envelope(s) displayed horizontally and the print is carried over to a second or third page/envelope.

So this procedure appears to be of little/no assistance.

So why are you posting here? You should be posting an answer in the bug that you filed instead of dropping notes on various websites that we have to piece together.

Also, franb did not say that TextEdit would "work". Instead, franb's post is clearly a set of initial troublshooting steps to start the diagnosis.

If you are going to file a bug, please help our volunteers to diagnose and find the cause of the bug by posting responses to the questions that they ask in a timely manner in the bug.

Frankly, your post really does not answer the explicit question that franb asked and, instead, only contains a complaint that TextEdit does not fit your needs.

Patrick
JohnM
Agent

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject:

Downloaded and installed NeoOffice 3.0 yesterday (04/17/2009).

Today I printed my first envelope from NO to my Canon MP600.

Finally, a simple work around to the return address being cut off.

In NO to the OSX print dialogue, instead of choosing print, i choose preivew.
This opens the envelope image in the OSX Preview application. Then I rotate the image 180° by going to Tools, Rotate Left or Tools, Rotate Right. Then I use the menu print command or Cmd-P to print and verify the settings are correct for my printer and then print.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2