Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Why won't this Word file render in Neo?
Why won't this Word file render in Neo?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
al3
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Why won't this Word file render in Neo?

Can someone explain why this file will not render correctly in Neo... and is there a way to "fix" it?:

http://www.answer123.com/badwordfile.doc

This is a calendar. If you scroll down it shows that April and May are overlayed.

I don't understand why.... but I did NOT create this file. It was sent to me. Is there a bug in Neo? I'm told it displays fine in Word.

Thanks,

Al
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject:

I opened the linked file in Microsoft Word 2004 on my Mac and April and May are overlaid just like you describe. Since Microsoft Word has the same problem as NeoOffice, the problem appears to be in the file not in NeoOffice.

Patrick
al3
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject:

pluby wrote:
I opened the linked file in Microsoft Word 2004 on my Mac and April and May are overlaid just like you describe. Since Microsoft Word has the same problem as NeoOffice, the problem appears to be in the file not in NeoOffice.

Patrick

A friend (who is a graphic designer and uses Word (and Neo) on a MacPro) said:

"I opened it in Word. At first two months were overlapping but I just moved with the hand up in the top left corner where there was a box with an X in it, and they separated. I found it viewed better when in Normal rather than page view."

Not sure what she means by "box with X in it." I've not used Word in about 6 years.

Al
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject:

al3 wrote:
A friend (who is a graphic designer and uses Word (and Neo) on a MacPro) said:

Which version of Word? As I mentioned, I opened it in Microsoft Word 2004 for Mac and it has the problem you describe. If it looks OK in a different version of Word, then what you have found is an incompatiblity between Microsoft Office versions.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject:

Al3, it helps if you can personally confirm things that do work, rather than rely on the memory of friends.

In this case, you are in a tricky area, because not only is NeoOffice's Word filter is not entirely complete, but the format has changed between different Word versions in the past. These different versions do not import each other's work consistently either.

I any case, this appears to be an inconsistency in the MS Word format, which makes your problem a possible shortcoming in the OOo import filter for Word. And improving that filter is outside the scope of NeoOffice project.

Best wishes,
Oscar

rays
The Anomaly
(earlier version)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:50 am    Post subject:

Each month is a table enclosed within a frame anchored to paragraph.

It appears that the creator of this Word file has been inconsistent in the method used to move from page to page. Sometimes this has been through the use of inserting page breaks (a good thing) while other times simply by inserting additional paragraph returns until the month frame "jumps to the next page" because it can no longer fit on the current page.

This effect can perhaps be illustrated by adjusting the current top and bottom margin values in the Format>Page dialog. For example, while making no other adjustments to the document, increasing top and bottom page margins by about 50% will force the May month to overlay on June.

In other words, there is nothing inherently wrong with the file. But it contains only three page breaks amongst six months! It can be expected to layout correctly only on those computers which have identical "Default" page formatting values to the originating authors copy of Word, at best.

If the author had consistently used the more reliable technique of inserting page breaks between all month frames (as done in earliest months and indicated on-screen by NeoOffice as a thin blue line), rather than relying on simply inserting additional paragraph values (sloppy), it is likely that the document would render correctly on all versions of software under discussion.

Trust this helps.

al3
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:16 am    Post subject:

My friend says she is using "Word X for Macintosh" Does that help a all?

Al
rpatrick
Councilperson

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject:

I'm sorry to hear about your problems.

Word X is quite old, since then there has been a 2004 and 2008 version. I can confirm the file renders correctly on Word 2008.

Also, I agree with what rays said. Occasionally different versions of Word (and other software such as NeoOffice) especially older versions, things won't always render exactly the same. There are many reasons for this but being as consistent as possible as rays explains can help reduce incompatibility.

For what it's worth, I've found most things to compatible with NeoOffice - at the very most there are occasionally slight formatting issues which I can fix very easily.

Richard
al3
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject:

I only bring this up because in the 4 years of using OO on Linux and the past year and half using Neo on a Mac, this is only the second Word file I've ever received that did not render 99%. (I count this one at about 75%). It is NOT a big deal, I was just trying to see if that maybe by posting the file it might help the developers to further refine the translator.

Thanks for all your help on this.

Al
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject:

al3 wrote:
I only bring this up because in the 4 years of using OO on Linux and the past year and half using Neo on a Mac, this is only the second Word file I've ever received that did not render 99%. (I count this one at about 75%). It is NOT a big deal, I was just trying to see if that maybe by posting the file it might help the developers to further refine the translator.

If you can reproduce this issue in another version of OpenOffice.org (under Linux for example), you may report it to OpenOffice.org against that version of OOo. Maybe they can use your test case to improve the Word import/export filters.

Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs (such as import/export filter issues) is outside that scope.
al3
Pure-blooded Human

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:05 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:

If you can reproduce this issue in another version of OpenOffice.org (under Linux for example), you may report it to OpenOffice.org against that version of OOo. Maybe they can use your test case to improve the Word import/export filters.

Unfortunately, the current scope of the NeoOffice project is limited by resources to keeping a native version of OpenOffice.org running on Mac OS X and fixing OpenOffice.org feature bugs (such as import/export filter issues) is outside that scope.

I understand what you say. I know that Neo is an extension of OO. I junked Linux for the Mac over a year ago and have not looked back. I find the Mac to be the "better Linux" (or BSD!)

Thanks,
Al
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject:

Samwise wrote:

My point was that Microsoft Word 2004 renders it with April and May overlaid so you cannot blame OOo or NeoOffice on this one. OOo will do the same and open it in Word 2003 for Windows to see if it is really a bug in OOo.

The most likely thing that can be conclused here is that Microsoft Word X had a bug that caused it to save .doc files that were not conforming to Microsoft's own .doc file specifications. This was a not so uncommon occurrence prior to Word 2004 on Mac: files saved in Word on Mac would be incorrectly formatted or unreadable in other versions of Microsoft Office.

OOo has developed its Office file import and export code based on the Microsoft Office for Windows versions as those are generally seen as the "gold standard". That is why you only see Windows versions of Microsoft Office in OOo's and NeoOffice's Save As dialog.

Patrick
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject:

Though I find that Word 2004 for Mac did a reasonable job in keeping the format exchangeable with the Windows equivalent. Formatting isn't nearly as volatile these days as it used to be (under Windows as well).

@Al3: good to hear you have so few cases of badly rendering documents Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1