Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - drag and drop cells in calc
drag and drop cells in calc

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elyod_72
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: drag and drop cells in calc

I am a newbie to NeoOffice and have a really silly question. How do you drag and drop from cell to cell in the calc section?

I can't find anything in the help section about drag and drop inside a spreadsheet.

Any advice is appreciated.
mickeyinlalaland
Oracle

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject:

Chapter 4 of the NeoOffice User Guide discusses drag and drop in Calc

It can be found on the left of this page; 4th box down in: 'Download NeoOffice' box; 4th item 'User Guide'
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:

If I well remember, it concerned the Data Pilot. Maybe it's not what elyod_72 is looking for.

There is a way to drag and drop a cell range. I don't remember if it's mentioned in the NUG.

Select the range you want to drag/drop.
Go to Data > Define Range…
Give the range a name, e.g. test, click Add, click OK.

Open the Navigator: Edit > Navigator. Expand Database Ranges. Control-click on test. In the contextual menu, select Drag Mode > Insert as Copy.

When you want drag and drop the range, go to Data > Select Range… select test, click OK.
The range is selected, you can drag and drop it.

A bit tricky, but it works. You see, it's not a silly question Smile. Maybe someone else knows a better way to do that?

Jacqueline
elyod_72
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:

Thanks for the quick reply.

I took a look at the manual and I found drag and drop from a database into a spreadsheet, but not how to move text from one cell to another by drag and drop.

I have found how in navigator to copy or link base on using the little square at the bottom right of the cell. Bug again no move.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject:

Just have a look at my previous post. We've posted at the same time Wink

Jacqueline
elyod_72
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject:

Thanks Jacqueline for your post.

If that is the case I will stick to standard copy and paste functions. I was just looking for a quick way to move cells via drag and drop.
But it sounds like NeoOffice currently does not have that capacity.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject:

Maybe I'm missing something here, but if I select a range of cells and then click-and-drag with my mouse, they move to wherever I drop them. This is NO 2.2.2 patch 11 with 10.5.2 intel. Is this not working for you?

If you're trying to move just one cell at a time, you just need to shift-click on it to select it before dragging it.

- padmavyuha
elyod_72
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject:

Sorry I probibally should have given my specs earlier. I am running 2.2.2 patch 11 on a PPC.

Sad

No soup for me?
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:05 pm    Post subject:

What happens when you select a few cells and then try to drag them (i.e. click-and-hold the mouse button, and then begin to drag)? When I do it, the cursor changes to a hand - do you not get that when you do it? It won't work for an individual cell unless you select it first by shift-clicking, as I described.

What do you see when you try to do this?
elyod_72
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:07 pm    Post subject:

That did it. I was not shift clicking on an individual cell. It worked when I did that.

Thanks for the help!
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject:

Whew! Mazeltov...
pfb3d
Red Pill

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:

If you're trying to move just one cell at a time, you just need to shift-click on it to select it before dragging it.

I stumbled on a way to do this without the shift-click. Click on cell of interest and hold mouse button down while dragging pointer into an adjacent cell so both are highlighted then drag back to highlight only cell of interest. Mouse up. Then mouse down and drag the single cell contents to another location.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 2:43 am    Post subject:

yoxi wrote:
What happens when you select a few cells and then try to drag them (i.e. click-and-hold the mouse button, and then begin to drag)? When I do it, the cursor changes to a hand - do you not get that when you do it? It won't work for an individual cell unless you select it first by shift-clicking, as I described.

What do you see when you try to do this?

I stumbled a bit when I tried to apply this method, because you have to release the mouse (and take a breath if you want Smile) after selecting the range you want to drag and before dragging. That's not said in the Help.

Maybe we should add a little note in the wiki?

Jacqueline
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:11 am    Post subject:

Good idea - I'm using a fast macbook, so the lag is minimal, but it may be more significant on slower macs. Certainly there appears to be a built-in delay between clicking on selected cells and the cursor changing to a hand - I suppose this is to prevent accidental dragging.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 3:57 am    Post subject:

It's not my iMac which is slooooow, it's me Wink.

And I just rediscovered America Rolling Eyes
When you select a cell range, release the mouse (a breath again), press the Opt key, click on a cell (empty or not), the range is copied without being deleted, just added.
The note will be a bit longer Very Happy

Jacqueline
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2