NeoOffice :: View topic - Can't install Patch 11
Can't install Patch 11

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
walkerc
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:57 pm    Post subject: Can't install Patch 11

Hello:

I have been using Apple's Pages since I got my laptop in November, but am not happy with how it handles bulleted lists in my notes. So I tried using NeoOffice 2.2.2 which I had transferred over from my old laptop which ran 10.3.9 . I was having some problems with it (I don't remember off hand what it was because I'm been having problems with every word processor I've been using lately (Pages, OpenOffice.org and and NeOffice) as well as my printer. So today, I went to install Patch 11, but it won't work because it says that there is no NeoOffice 2.2.2 installation in my Applications folder, which is absolute crap because it is there, and I checked the info and it is version 2.2.2 . I like using computers, but I have almost zero patience when things aren't working and I can't figure out why. So that my neighbours don't have to hear me scream when something's not working, could somebody please let me know why the patch won't recognize that I have NeoOffice and how I can fix this.

Thanks,
Corey

P.S. I don't like forums that underline Canadian words as being misspelled. Very annoying.
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject:

I suspect that you are trying to install the patch onto an incomplete copy of NeoOffice. Most likely, you have done one or more of the following things that will make it difficult for the patch installer to find your NeoOffice 2.2.2 installation:

1. You have moved NeoOffice out of the /Applications/NeoOffice.app folder
2. You did not copy the NeoOffice user preferences folder

If you have NeoOffice 2.2.2 installed on your computer, try launching it, quit NeoOffice, and then rerun the patch installer. Launching it will recreate your user preferences folder with default settings and then the patch installer should be able to find your NeoOffice installation even if it is not in the /Applications folder.

BTW, your web browser does spellchecking, not our web pages so if you are seeing spellchecking issues with our site, you need to look at your web browser's configuration as our site is plain old HTML.

Patrick
pluby
The Architect
The Architect

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject:

One more possibility: if you are absolutely sure that you have NeoOffice 2.2.2 installed and it is in the /Applications folder, then there are two rare but possible causes:

1. You have installed a non-official build of NeoOffice 2.2.2 - If you compile NeoOffice yourself or got someone else's non-official build, the patch installer will not upgrade any such non-official builds as there is a significant risk of rendering such installations unrunnable.

2. If #1 isn't applicable to you, does reinstalling NeoOffice 2.2.2 allow the patch to install?

Patrick
walkerc
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject:

I now remember why I installed the patch in the first place. Neo Office won't open. When I go into my applications folder, and double click Neo Office it shows up in my dock and jumps up and down but it will never open. I didn't have this problem on 10.3.9 so I suspected it wasn't Leopard compatible. I was hoping the patch would fix that. I could try redownloading Ne Office but I don't know if that would actually solve the problem.

Any suggestions Pluby?
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:33 am    Post subject:

Your old laptop was a PPC one and the new one an Intel machine perchance?

In that case you need to download NeoOffice again, because you need a different binary..

Best wishes,
Oscar

Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject:

The reason it won't start is because you have transferred a PowerPC version of NeoOffice from your 10.3.9 machine.

Tne NeoOffice Intel patch installer cannot update a PowerPC version of NeoOffice. So you have to download & install NeoOffice 2.2.2 for Intel, and then install the patch.
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject:

ovvldc wrote:
Your old laptop was a PPC one and the new one an Intel machine perchance?

His old 10.3.9 machine was definitely a PowerPC Mac. The new one is an Intel Mac, unless the laptop he bought last November was at least two years old…
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:17 pm    Post subject:

My reasoning exactly Smile

Oz
walkerc
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject:

Aha, that makes sense. Yes, the old was a PcPower Mac and the new one is an Intel. I assumed it was a universal binary, but I'll look for the new one and try that. Is that why the patch won't install either? That would be my guess.

Corey
ovvldc
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject:

Nope, NeoOffice is not universal. Which is why the disk images all have 'PowerPC' or 'Intel' in the filenames...

You should be all set now. Let us know in case the Intel version gives you any trouble Smile.

Best wishes,
Oscar

walkerc
Blue Pill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 2:18 am    Post subject:

Well I tried downloading the Intel version this morning and it was taking forever, so I couldn't do it, but I tried it tonight and it came down in under 8 minutes. I have now installed the Intel version and the patch and everything appears to be working fine. I will post again if I have any more problems with this issue.

Corey
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:22 am    Post subject:

If you have issues downloading, you should see that the download pages have a number of different links. There are multiple mirror sites that graciously host our downloads and help distribute the bandwidth needed to provide Neo to people Smile If one seems to be slow or down, always feel free to try another Smile We rotate them randomly on the download page to even out the load.

If you ever see any that are continually unresponsive or start giving "file not found" errors, let us know here or in the Fuzkd Servers forum and we can temporarily remove it out of the rotation. Sometimes other sites aside from our own decide to point to a single server, hammering it, instead of distributing the load across all of them.

ed
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 9:04 am    Post subject:

OPENSTEP wrote:
Sometimes other sites aside from our own decide to point to a single server, hammering it, instead of distributing the load across all of them.

*cough*all the time*cough*macupdate*cough*cough*versiontracker*cough* Evil or Very Mad

Smokey

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1