Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - Is there a Spreadsheet in Neo Office?
Is there a Spreadsheet in Neo Office?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stoat
Red Pill

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Is there a Spreadsheet in Neo Office?

I have previously been transcribing genealogical info on Open Office's Spreadsheet without any problem. Now I go over to Neo Office and have transferred my data across OK, but it always presents on a Calc page, even when I specifically ask for it to be on NO's Spreadsheet. This is annoying as whenever I type a hyphen, Calc immediately starts inserting what I presume are formula calculations, which I then have to go back and delete before I can continue.
Is there any way of getting my data on to a Spreadsheet format when I ask for it? Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I am using Mac OS10.4.9
Bernard Watson.
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject:

Calc is NeoOffice's spreadsheet module, just as it is in OpenOffice.org (OOo).
Aside from the issue with the -, does the NeoOffice spreadsheet look significantly different than it does in OOo?
How did you transfer your data across?

If you type a ' before the -, Neo will recognize that you are typing text, and won't try to turn it into a formula. Since you say this wasn't the case in OOo, maybe there is a preferences setting that can be changed; no doubt one of our "regulars" with more expertise in Calc than I have will know.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

Aside from the issue with the -, does the NeoOffice spreadsheet look significantly different than it does in OOo?

Calc in NeoOffice 2.2.2 is exactly the same module as Calc in OOo 2.2.1
Quote:

If you type a ' before the -, Neo will recognize that you are typing text, and won't try to turn it into a formula.

If you enter -2 in a cell, NeoOffice recognizes it as a number, which is right aligned in the cell. If you enter 3-2, NeoOffice interprets that as text. If you want that Neo does the substraction, you need to enter =3-2 in the cell.

Also, I don't understand Stoat's problem. We need more info Smile

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject:

Jacqueline:

When I typed -test into a Calc cell, I got a #NAME? error; but typing '-test, I got -test in the cell; thus my comment.

If the hyphen is in the middle of the cell contents, though (test-test), the whole string is created as text, as you said.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject:

OK. I tested in my PowerBook G4 and I see the behavior you describe. But before I read your post, I had tested only on my iMac Intel where it looked like that this problem don't occur. I got -test in the cell. But when I saved the document I got 0 in the cell. If you format the cell in Test before entering -test, you get -test.

Adding an ' is the workarond. But if you need the format Text for the whole sheet, this way could be tedious, thus you can apply this method:

Select the sheet by pressing Command-A, then go to Format > Cells >Numbers and select Text in the Category list. Click OK.

Jacqueline
Stoat
Red Pill

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:37 am    Post subject: Is there a Sspreadsheet in Neo Office?

Many thanks Lorinda and Jacqueline for your posts.
Lorinda, after using it for several years I never realised that the OO spreadsheet was in Calc format. Shows how thick I am, but it worked OK in OO without the problem I have now. The NO Calc sheet looks similar to the OO one but obviously with a different set of toolbars. I transferred my data very simply, by importing it from my OO file direct into NO.
Jacqueline, the problem is as I set out in my first post, where typing a hyphen into a column results (when I move on to the next column) in a whole series of numbers appearing next to the hyphen, which I then have to go back and delete. I am able to type a hyphen and then click on the green arrow up on the toolbar, and that sorts it out, but it is a real pain when I didn't need to do this in OO. My iMac is also Intel, and I tried the method you set out, but no luck - it still does the same thing.
OK, I know this is not a huge problem in the world-wide scheme of things, but I just hoped that, being a newbie to NO, I hadn't got things set up right.
Thanks to both of you anyway.
Bernard Watson.
Cambridge, England. Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Samwise
Captain Naiobi

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a Sspreadsheet in Neo Office?

Stoat wrote:
The NO Calc sheet looks similar to the OO one but obviously with a different set of toolbars.

It's a different set of toolbar icons; however, the toolbars are also the same…
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject:

If you had customized the toolbars in OOo, that could make a difference in their appearance, too.

When I type a hyphen, that's all that appears in the cell. What you are describing sounds like an auto completion issue. What is name of the green button? (Mouse over it and pause; the tooltip with the name will appear).

Try going to Tools>Autocorrect and look through the list on the Replace tab. Is there an entry for - ? IF so, you can delete it.

Also check Tools>Cell Contents and uncheck AutoInput; this will ignore the replacement table all together, I believe.

Another thing to try is to move or rename the NeoOffice 2.2.2 folder you will find in username/Library/Preferences.

Please let us know what works. If Jacqueline posts back before you try my suggestions, follow her suggestions before trying mine. She's far more familiar with Calc than I am.

Lorinda
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject:

Lorinda wrote:

When I type a hyphen, that's all that appears in the cell. What you are describing sounds like an auto completion issue. What is name of the green button? (Mouse over it and pause; the tooltip with the name will appear).

Do you mention the round button with a check mark? The tooltip which appears is "Accept"?
Quote:

Please let us know what works. If Jacqueline posts back before you try my suggestions, follow her suggestions before trying mine. She's far more familiar with Calc than I am.

Lorinda

Not sure Wink

I just noticed the following "problem".

Format your all sheet in Text.

Enter -test in A1 and press Return. It's OK. The cell A2 is selected.

Select A1 again by clicking once on it.

Put the cursor in the formula bar, on the right hand side of test.

Select A2. The cell A2 is surrounded with a red line and A2 appears in the formula bar . Maybe it's the problem you are running in?

Also, I'm working in 10.5.2, but I doubt there is such a difference between Tiger and Leopard.

Jacqueline
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject:

jgd wrote:
Lorinda wrote:

Do you mention the round button with a check mark? The tooltip which appears is "Accept"?

I'm wondering if it is the Undo/Redo changes button it's a green circle with an arrow in the middle; it isn't visible on my toolbars, but is an option that can be added. But I'm not sure...that's why I wondered what the tooltip said.
jgd
Agent Smith

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject:

For me it's always visible but it's greyed until you "Undo" an input.

Jacqueline
Stoat
Red Pill

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:34 am    Post subject: Is there a spreadsheet in Neo Office?

More thanks to everyone for ideas. Yes, the green button I mentioned is the 'Accept' one. I guess I will just have to click it every time I insert a hyphen. Life is hell!! I see that in Calc there is the ability to select the type of formula to be used in a specific piece of work. It would be nice if there was a 'do not use any formula' button
Bernard Watson.
Cambridge, England.
yoxi
Cipher

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject:

...hello, Bernard - welcome to the forum!

- padmavyuha (also in Cambridge, but only for another 2 weeks Smile)
Lorinda
Captain Mifune

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:47 am    Post subject: Re: Is there a spreadsheet in Neo Office?

Stoat wrote:
More thanks to everyone for ideas. Yes, the green button I mentioned is the 'Accept' one. I guess I will just have to click it every time I insert a hyphen.

Did you try the suggestions I offered? Calc doesn't behave the same way for me, so there must be some setting or something that can be changed for your installation.

Lorinda
Stoat
Red Pill

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 12:08 am    Post subject: Is there a spreadsheet in Neo Office?

Sorry Lorinda - I thought I had replied to your good advice but it looks like I didn't send it out. Yes, I did try all except where you say 'move or re-name the Neo Office 2.2.2 file'. Not being as computer literate as you I don't quite know what you are suggesting here - you have to use words of one syllable with me. None of your other ideas worked, unfortunately.
Bernard Watson.
Cambridge, England.
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> NeoOffice Releases All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2