Support
· Forums
· NeoOffice Support
· NeoWiki

Announcements
· Twitter @NeoOffice

Downloads
· Download NeoOffice

NeoOffice :: View topic - is there a 1.1.2 build for multi-user installation?
is there a 1.1.2 build for multi-user installation?

NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 1:03 pm    Post subject: is there a 1.1.2 build for multi-user installation?

Does anyone know if there is a 1.1.2 build (for Jaguar) which allows multi-user installation, like the versions for other UN*X-ish OSes do?
OPENSTEP
The One
The One

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 2:22 pm    Post subject:

The 1.1.2 build that is out there right now is multi-user compatible in the sense that you can install it for one user account and it will fix itself when launched for multiple users. It's not a "-net" style install, but it is multi-user by default.

ed
Alpha

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 4:10 am    Post subject: OK, so it is multiuser but...

For those of us not used to X windows how do we make it work? We're using Start OpenOffice to get it going in one user account but in the second user account Start OO isn't any help as it can't open the second X window (if I understand this correctly).

This code in Terminal with X windows running from the Readme may help but it's beyond me http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/README_OOO.html

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter
cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program
sh soffice

Maybe we just need to wait for the wonderful Start OpenOffice to be updated for multi users?[/list]
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OK, so it is multiuser but...

Alpha wrote:
For those of us not used to X windows how do we make it work? We're using Start OpenOffice to get it going in one user account but in the second user account Start OO isn't any help as it can't open the second X window (if I understand this correctly).

First, are you trying to run two instances of OOo concurrently on one machine (as two different users, via Fast User Switching? This is my guess, since I have no issues running OOo as different users (non-concurrently, via Fast User Switching or normal login/logout).

If that is the case, here's my experience launching OOo as a second user (via FUS) while OOo/X11/Start OOo are still running under the first user. Start OOo generates an error about the window at the first attempt to launch OOo. However, choosing one of the filetypes from Start OpenOffice.org File>New menu results in a successful launch of OOo. Furthermore, any future launches of Start OOo (i.e., after quitting OOo, X11.app, and Start OOo) proceed properly without errors.

I'm sure Terry can shed some light on what's really going on, but if I understand you correctly, what you want to do is possible.

Smokey

Last edited by sardisson on Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:21 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so it is multiuser but...

Alpha wrote:

Maybe we just need to wait for the wonderful Start OpenOffice to be updated for multi users?[/list]

I tested multi-user use of "Start OpenOffice.org" (v1.0b9) and OpenOffice.org quite extensively, and I am not aware of any issues in this regard.

If you haven't already done so, I suggest you read the "Start OpenOffice.org" documentation that is in the "Start OpenOffice.org" disk image in the "Third-Party Software" folder in the OpenOffice.org installation disk image, in case there is something you are overlooking - you didn't provide any information on exactly what version of Mac OS X and X11 Window software you are using - this makes a big difference in how "Start OpenOffice.org" deals with multi-user.

Alpha wrote:
This code in Terminal with X windows running from the Readme may help but it's beyond me http://porting.openoffice.org/mac/README_OOO.html

setenv DISPLAY localhost:0
setenv DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program:/Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program/filter
cd /Applications/OpenOffice.org1.1.2/program
sh soffice

FYI, this won't help you at all with multi-user operation - while the ReadMe probably doesn't state it, the above code is useful only for single-user operation - you would have to adjust it accordingly for multi-user operation (it's not hard to do), but you may as well use "Start OpenOffice.org".

In order for me to help you further, you need to provide information on your hardware/software configuration, and exactly how you are using "Start OpenOffice.org", OpenOffice.org, multi-user, and exactly what error messages you are encountering.

Regards, Terry
[author of "Start OpenOffice.org"]
Terry Teague

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:24 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so it is multiuser but...

sardisson wrote:
If that is the case, here's my experience launching OOo as a second user (via FUS) while OOo/X11/Start OOo are still running under the first user. Start OOo generates an error about the window at the first attempt to launch OOo. However, choosing one of the filetypes from Start OpenOffice.org results in a successful launch of OOo. Furthermore, any future launches of Start OOo (i.e., after quitting OOo, X11.app, and Start OOo) proceed properly without errors.

See my comments in the previous message - it applies to you as well Wink I not aware of any issues with "Start OpenOffice.org" and multi-user operation.

Regards, Terry
sardisson
Town Crier
Town Crier

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: OK, so it is multiuser but...

Terry Teague wrote:
See my comments in the previous message - it applies to you as well Wink I not aware of any issues with "Start OpenOffice.org" and multi-user operation.

Right, I haven't read them in a while Smile I just did a quick-and-dirty test to see if I could replicate Alpha's problem, since I hadn't previously seen any problems with multiple users. (Note to self: read Terry's documentation every so often to keep it fresh...)

In my case (Apple X11.app, 10.3.4), if I understand the Start OOo docs correctly, I shouldn't have experienced that inital error at all (it looked similar to the one on page 17 of the docs, but I didn't pay enough attention)--and if I didn't make it clear above, X11 did start, but OOo didn't. Hmm. As I mentioned, though, after clicking "ok" to the error, selecting a File>New option did start OOo, and subsequent "cold" launches of Start OOo/X11/OOo as the second user worked as expected, no error messages.

(BTW, Terry, did you see my post here or get my email about the "legacy" MSWD creator code "issues"?)

Smokey
   NeoOffice Forum Index -> OpenOffice.org MacOS X X11 Support All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1